VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some NTSC DVDs purchased in Asia. THey are single-layer and supposedly region free already. However, when I put them in my Sony NS-315, I get the "Playback prohibited by area limitations" warning.

So I created an ISO file in DVD shrink, then re-burned to a new blank DVD+R.
    Result? Same problem. This was also true whether I selected "Region free" or "Region 1".
    I also chose "No Compression" and "Automatic" to see if that had any effect. It did not.

Is there a workaround to this?
    Also, if this has been answered already, I would be happy with a link to other threads, and I apologize in advance for being too busy to search.

Cliff
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check the framerate of one of the VOBs. I suspect it's a PAL DVD 25fps not the NTSC. 29.97 or 23.976 Most DVD players use the same error for that as regional restrictions.

Otherwise, it would be odd that DVD Shrink wouldn't remove the regional restriction. You could also try DVD43 to overide the regional restriction. Or rip them first with DVDFab HD Decrypter.

I'd also try the burned DVDs on a different player. Maybe the Sony has a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Check the framerate of one of the VOBs. I suspect it's a PAL DVD 25fps not the NTSC. 29.97 or 23.976 Most DVD players use the same error for that as regional restrictions.
    Brilliant insight!
    Yes, it is really a PAL disc. My problem has been that all the players used in Thailand can play almost anything, so I was unable to determine that over there.
    So I used DVDFab to get the info on the disc and yes, it's PAL.

Thanks for the rapid response too!
    Quote Quote