VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I've searched the guides but haven't found anything that particularly deals with my request.

When I shoot film with my digital camera I got avi files that are sort of uncompressed. Each minute takes about 100MB.

I wonder what's the best way just to shrink them in size with the least quality loss?

- Program?
    - Format?

I've tried Avidemux which is competent enough but maybe a bit to complex for my simple task.

Or maybe Avidemux is the one to use, but what's the best procedure in that case?

Also, is there any golden rule what size/minute a video should be in to be suitable for web before it starts crackin up completely?

thanks in advance!

:: nook
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you provide more information such as the type of camera and, if you know it, the type of video that it exports?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use windows media or flash h264 for the web. You can make Windows Media using Windows Media Encoder or Windows Movie Maker. I don't know any free flash h264 video converters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies.
    I'd rather not use wmf-format though since I want it to work on all platforms.

The camera is a Canon Ixus 950.

This is what Avidemux sais about the movie.
    VIDEO
    Codec 4CC: MJPG
    Image Size: 640 x 480
    Frame Rate: 30 fps

AUDIO
    Codec: PCM
    Channels: Mono
    Bitrate: 88200 Bps / 705 kbps
    Variable Bitrate: No
    Frequency: 44100 Hz

How do I change the frame rate? I tried that in Avidemux but then it simply played the movie slower which got the audio out of sync. I guess I need to process the frame rate change somehow?

cheers :: nook
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't really want to change the framerate unless you like jerky looking video. For the web you might start by resizing down to 320 x 240. I would second Windows Media Encoder if web serving is your aim.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nook
    Thanks for your replies.
    I'd rather not use wmf-format though since I want it to work on all platforms.

The camera is a Canon Ixus 950.

This is what Avidemux sais about the movie.
    VIDEO
    Codec 4CC: MJPG
    Image Size: 640 x 480
    Frame Rate: 30 fps

AUDIO
    Codec: PCM
    Channels: Mono
    Bitrate: 88200 Bps / 705 kbps
    Variable Bitrate: No
    Frequency: 44100 Hz

How do I change the frame rate? I tried that in Avidemux but then it simply played the movie slower which got the audio out of sync. I guess I need to process the frame rate change somehow?

cheers :: nook
    The Canon output file (MJPG+mono PCM) is a sequence of highly compressed JPG(DCT compressed) frames and low quality mono PCM sound. Both can be compressed further but "best" format choice depends on your plans for use.

For web distribution, the leading choices are wmv or flash.
    For DVD you would use MPeg2 video + AC3 or MP2 audio. Another option is Divx/Xvid for specific players.
    For embedding in multi-platform applications the choices are many depending on context.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote