VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there easy way to create Win2k boot disk with command prompt available, possibly using nLite? I know nLite can be used to make bootable slipstream disc, but running setup is the only option there as fas I can determine. I could use Nero to make boot disc, but creating Win2k boot disc takes something like 4 floppies. Is there an easier way, or do I have to go the 4 floppies route?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

It would be helpful if you described what you intend to achieve
    by the use of a boot disk. Maybe all you'll need is just a boot floppy
    with NTFS-support, maybe you'll really need to build a versatile boot CD.
    Need more information!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I want to create boot disc is to include Ghost 2003 to be able to run Ghost from Win2k boot CD. I've done it with Win98SE system disc, and it works in a bit strange way. Ghost run from Win98SE system CD sees all partitions fine and creates images fine, but Ghost can't see folders on NTFS partitions when run from this disc while Win2k can't see Ghost images created that are saved to NTFS partition when Ghost is run from this CD. This probably has something to do with Win98SE being unable to recognize NTFS partitions, but why Win2k can't see Ghost images saved to NTFS partitions is puzzling. Such images are seen by Ghost and can be checked for integrity and restored as well It seems logical that a Win2k system CD might eliminate this odd behavior exhibited by Ghost in Win98SE system boot CD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very understandable, yet unsupported.

Have a look over at > http://www.cse.unr.edu/~kvero/BootDisks.htm
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    The reason I want to create boot disc is to include Ghost 2003 to be able to run Ghost from Win2k boot CD..
    Not exactly what you asked for, and considerably more trouble to make (requires access to a working XP system, plus a few free odds 'n ends you'd need to round up, plus a guide), but I'm thinking there must be a GHOST plugin around for a BART PE cd. If I'm right, getting to that point would probably get you to where you want to be, able to operate on NTFS-based Windows systems.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Bjs link appears to be for creating a bootable Win2k install CD which I already have and isn't my goal. I have access to a WinXP system and have created a UBCD4WIN disk using Bart PE previously which does have a Ghost plugin but only for Ghost 8 which is difficult to find and expensive when found. It looks like the 4 floppy route may be the easiest way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ghost 2003 works just fine with it's create boot disc options
    I've created 2 different versions, 1 for USB1.1 support and and another for USB2 and firewire support.

You really don't need to see NTFS partitions outside of ghost do you?
    Ghost will read and write to NTFS

I have no problems seeing NTFS partitions/folders/files within ghost.
    I mostly read and write to an external 1tb drive that's NTFS

However, just this last weekend, I ghosted my primary NTFS drive to a image on my secondary NTFS drive (each only have 1 partition and I only do full drives in ghost) I can see all files after completed and booted back into win2K

Also ghost 2003 doesn't give a hoot about local security settings on local drives and folders.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you use the PC DOS that comes with Ghost since there is no MS DOS in Win2k, or which MS DOS was used if MS DOS was used? Win2k sees NTFS partitions but not Ghost images created on those NTFS partitions when Ghost is run from current Win98SE system boot disc. I like to see all files from Win2k to see space used and to ensure files aren't over written or files may be unintentionally lost if drive might be formatted without realizing files are there.

Edit: It'd be very useful to have Win2k setup files on Ghost boot disc similar to the Win98SE system disc including Ghost that I have which includes Win98SE setup files, but that may not be possible via the Ghost boot disc option.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    Did you use the PC DOS that comes with Ghost since there is no MS DOS in Win2k, or which MS DOS was used if MS DOS was used? Win2k sees NTFS partitions but not Ghost images created on those NTFS partitions when Ghost is run from current Win98SE system boot disc. I like to see all files from Win2k to see space used and to ensure files aren't over written or files may be unintentionally lost if drive might be formatted without realizing files are there.

Edit: It'd be very useful to have Win2k setup files on Ghost boot disc similar to the Win98SE system disc including Ghost that I have which includes Win98SE setup files, but that may not be possible via the Ghost boot disc option.
    There is a DOS VDM (Command.Com) in 2K, though possibly not as fully capable and compatible as in prior versions of Windows (?). Your stumbling block seems to be the requirement to also have the 2K setup files there on the Ghost boot disc ? I haven't used Ghost since at least the 2002 version, since I switched over to other tools in that general category (DFSEE, and Acronis True Image), so I don't recall much about what was or was not available in the Ghost boot disk. I would have thought they would include NTFS drivers, though. (But I think most people are going to run those setup files from the W2K installation CD, in any case. Are you sure that you could still fit all of that stuff on a Ghost boot disk ?)

This seems to be heading back into "build-it-yourself" land, but if the Ghost boot disk lacks them, I think there may have been some NTFS drivers that were available for free ? Something like NTFSDOS . . . possibly from the folks who put out SysInternals ? If so, and you do find enough room for it all, perhaps you could mod a Ghost boot disk to cover all this ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The system that Ghost doesn't see Windows folders on NTFS partition and Windows doesn't see Ghost image files is AMD 2600+ with Nvidia chipset, but another system is AMD 3400+ with Via chipset which sees all Ghost files from Windows while Ghost sees all Windows folders on NTFS partition. Do you think this may be some weird chipset issue? BTW both systems have latest BIOS update.
    Quote Quote