VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the difference between the two players?

I can get the 5960 locally (easier to return if there are problems right out of the box).
    Would have to order the 5982 online.

Price is pretty much the same.
    Were there problems with the 5960 that are fixed in the other model?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The main difference is the addition of 1080p output on the 5982. From what I've read the 5960 is less problematic and you can find hacked firmwares to add support for longer filenames (on DVD, not USB), packed bitstream, etc. The 5982 might be able to play slightly higher bitrates over USB. I have a 5960.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, thanks!

Where would I look to find the appropriate hacked firmwares?
    Any recs as to which one to use?
    Would the 3960 be a better choice if I don't really need the USB?

My main reason for choosing a Philips player is price, and PAL/NTSC, since I have quite a few European dvds, multi-region hack, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The 5960 does a pretty good job of converting PAL to NTSC (I have several PAL discs too). I don't know much about the 3960.

Here's a site with lots of 5960 information:
    http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again!
    I have actually looked at that site earlier, but there are so many different firmwares available that I have a hard time figuring out which one would be appropriate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Heheh, that's why I didn't suggest one!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Have mercy on an elderly, not tech savvy, lady!
    I can follow simple instructions, and manage to find the right forums to ask questions, but that's where my expertise ends.

I won't complain if I don't like the results of the suggested firmware, I swear!

As of a half hour ago, I have the 5960 set up. Region Hack worked great. I'm playing a PAL dvd right now.
    The current firmware on mine is 37.06.42.33.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Congratulations on getting your 5960 up and running! I wouldn't bother upgrading the firmware unless you run into problems.

I used to use one of the firmware's hacked for longer filenames and multiple b-frame packed bitstream. The longer file names were nice -- except with MP3 files where the long filenames ended up spilling over into another field.

At some point I reverted to one of the official firmwares. I forget why -- maybe to see if packed bitstream was working in the official release. I haven't bothered to go back to the hacked version because I use my HTPC (hooked up to my HDTV) for most non-DVD viewing these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The 5960 does a pretty good job of converting PAL to NTSC (I have several PAL discs too). I don't know much about the 3960.
    The 3960 supports PAL to NTSC as well.

I think all the Philips players do... And they all appear to have the same hack... As well as the same remote.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!

I've purchased a 5960 for now and am testing it with different dvds/cds.
    So far I've tried .avi, PAL, NTSC and a bunch of stuff I burned off my old vhs collection.
    No problems so far.
    Have not tested the USB yet.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What is the latest firmware on the phunkyfish web site? It's very convoluted and easier to install the firmware than to download it.

Thanks,

MJ
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very happy with this player so far, but would like to try out some of the modified firmwares (for resume play function, and long filename for cd/dvd).
    Problem is that the firmware on my player is 37.06.42.33, and the latest one posted on the philips website is 37.06.42.29.
    I don't really want to try flashing without having a back-up of the current firmware on my player, but the only link I could find to one (rapidshare.de/files/38072466/bakup_philips_dvp5960.rar.html) seems to be broken.

Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote