VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Digital channel count vs. Analog channel count

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read an interesting article at tvfool about how many OTA channels people will gain or lose when they switch from analog reception to digital.

If you are already watching digital OTA channels, how many channels have you gained/lost compared to your analog channels? Please try to compare apples-to-apples, meaning that the digital channel count and analog channel count should be based on exactly the same antenna setup. DO NOT count sub-channels separately (e.g., virtual channels 5.1, 5.2, and 5.* all belong to one transmitter and should only be counted once).

Use your own judgment about which analog channels to count. Snowy, mostly unwatchable analog channels should not be counted.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At my location ( central Calif.) its been a mixed bag I have a very good UHF antenna so I can receive Dig signals from as far away as 90 miles. Depends on the signal strength. One city 90 miles away has 3 dig. channels. 2 are around 1000 KW these come in fine. The other is at 300 KW and doesn't come in at all. But, then again it's analog sig is watchable but not on anything larger than 20". Overall, for good analog signals I receive, the digital is better. Surprisingly, many local stations are analog repeaters with no dig. So I'm wondering, if when it's time for the switch, will they go digital or will they just be shut off.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Sydney Australia we have "gained"

at least 15....

3 are HD versions of the SD channels. (2 have differingt content on the weekends)
    2 are completely new channels
    the rest are infomercial channels or religious programming so i don't know about "gained" there......

as a consequence we will "Lose' an analog "community channel' which is mostly crap anyway
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the USA, after analog shut off Feb 2009, the number of primary channel transmitters (excluding subchannels) will be near equal but the potential number of digital channels will be greater since digital channels can be tighter packed in the remaining spectrum and channels on the same frequency can be closer in distance (~139 miles depending on power). In other words, more useful channels in less spectrum.

Each 6MHz channel can contain up to 5 SD, 2 720p HD or 1 1080i HD + 1 SD MPeg2 subchannels.

VHF signals propagate further than UHF signals at the same power, so VHF stations transmit with less power to cover the same area. In rural areas, VHF DTV channels have potential for greater reach.

Analog repeaters will be converted to digital or shut off except in remote special cases such as mountain valleys.

Many major market digital channels will operate at reduced power in 2009 as transmission antenna facilities are converted from analog to DTV. For example, San Francisco's Sutro Tower DTV channels will operate at lower power until reconstruction is complete in October 2009.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote