VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a R-2 coded Sony DVP-NS78H DVD player.

I bought a R-1 DVD and it happens that when I insert the DVD in the DVD player the following message appears: "the reproduction of this record is forbbiden by area limits".

As such, I would like to know if it is possible for me to readily unlock my DVD player in order to be able to visualize R-1 DVDs along with R-2 ones and how to do it.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not without MUCH work.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-dvp-ns78h/8651
    Sony players are difficult to hack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably much easier to rip the DVD to DVD-R, as that process removes the regio code protection from the DVD.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Not without MUCH work.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-dvp-ns78h/8651
    Sony players are difficult to hack.
    Thanks.

I have seen that before but it seems too much complicated for me (I'm still a kind of ignorant on these matters).

I'd really like to have my DVD player region free.

Isn't there any other [simpler] way to unlock my DVD player besides the one you've linked?

By the way, could you (or anyone) explain me what is a "winsamp-package" and a "PC IRDA port"?

What do I need to have and what do I need to do to perform the "hack" you've linked?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RMO
    Isn't there any other [simpler] way to unlock my DVD player
    If there was, it'd probably be listed here, or easily found with a Google search.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Winsamp-package:
    This innovative piece of software allows you to send standard home electronics IR signals using a PC IRDA port.
    IrDA:
    Short for Infrared Data Association, a group of device manufacturers that developed a standard for transmitting data via infrared light waves. Increasingly, computers and other devices (such as printers) come with IrDA ports. This enables you to transfer data from one device to another without any cables. For example, if both your laptop computer and printer have IrDA ports, you can simply put your computer in front of the printer and output a document, without needing to connect the two with a cable.
    IrDA ports support roughly the same transmission rates as traditional parallel ports. The only restrictions on their use is that the two devices must be within a few feet of each other and there must be a clear line of sight between them.
    It sounds like you would either need a programmable infrared remote control or a PC with a IrDA port that can transmit the modification codes to the player.
    Warning - This can also permanently disable the player if done incorrectly.

I think I would just rip the DVD and use something like DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder to create a region free disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or if it is that important to have a region free player, buy a region free player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I found the best solution for my case: I have just bought today a multiregion DVD player for only €50! And Sony should sell multiregion DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RMO
    And Sony should sell multiregion DVD players.
    Sony are one of the major forces behind such stupidities like region coding, so that'd be the day!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Our Sony DVP-NS575P's inability to play anything except R1 NTSC led to its demotion to the family stereo system, where it performs admirably as a CD player. Bought an Oppo to feed the TV.
    Quote Quote