VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had this machine TWO WEEKS and already I have problems with it! Some recordings (not all) are stuttering, the picture freezing then jumping forward, some won't allow me to fast forward or rewins. I'm currently trying to watch a programme that's freeing every fe wminutes! This is NOT what I spent 300 Euro for!!!

It's going back to the shop at the weekend, and I'm going to try to get my money back. I'm REALLY pissed off at this! People warned me about Philips but I didn't listen. It's obviously a dodgy hard disk, but after TWO weeks?

(Sound of gnashing teeth and frantic searching for the Philips hotline for complaints...)
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer is the shit when it comes to stand alone DVD recorders.

Although older models tended to have the burner die pre-maturely they seem to have fixed that (knock on wood).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I love my old Philips but I'm not stupid....I won't buy another one....I know I got lucky with mine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another Philips product to end up refurb. What a shocker.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure it's not the broadcast? I have seen it live on analog cable. Most common on a CBS re-broadcast station from Champaigne, IL, which is many, many miles out of antenna range. Also occurs on a CBS station out of Quincy, IL. We have gone thru ever changing problems in the last year on all our re-broadcast stations, other examples:

1) CFN out of Springfield, black screen and no audio.....may last for minutes or an entire program hour.

2) CBS out of Springfield and Quincy.....audio that may either break-up with too much bass, or audio which cycles from too low volume to too high, often changing from one syllable to the next. If one station is bad, the other is always better.

3) Have even seen stuttering and freezing on analog cable networks, and when it happens there, it can go on for hours.

Only way to know for sure is to record at same time with a VCR.....they never screw up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No it's not. I use a SKY box, which takes the signal digitally from a minidish outside my house. I can watch the channel and it's fine, no breakup or anything, but I've even recorded from our local national station (RTE) and it can be the same.
    It's definitely the hard disk, and I'm kicking it back where it came from! This is NOT on, not two damn weeks after I shelled out on this machine!
    FC, I'd love to get a Pioneer, but I have a feeling they're just going to offer me store credit, and they dont do Pioneer in that shop, so I guess I'll have to take the best I can get.
    No more Philips though!
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by FulciLives

Although older models tended to have the burner die pre-maturely they seem to have fixed that (knock on wood).

Abso-friggin-lutely: go Pioneer, while you still can.

I have been buying-using-repairing every model of Pioneer recorder for the last three years. All were/are great with the exception of the horrid corruption-prone TVGOS on the 2005 models and the tendency of the burners on all pre-2006 models toward earlier than expected failure (which is a common issue with all mfrs, its just bizarre and annoying that Pioneer's DVR burners were fragile while their exact same models marketed for PC use were/are very durable).

Based on my own experience and reports on forums, the 2006 and later Pioneers (from the 640 on) are damned close to bulletproof: Pioneer obviously was rattled by the hatred they received from the funky 2005 models, so they came roaring back in 2006 with excellent burners, excellent HDs, reliable firmware and circuitry, and the most reliable glitch-free editing available. Since Pioneer is suffering thru hard times of late, its anyones guess how much longer they will keep producing their current models. The profit margin on these things is razor-thin, the investment to keep up with the worldwide digital-TV-tuner transition is immense, and Pioneer is dropping product lines right and left to keep themselves solvent. At any moment they could begin selling crap recorders OEM'd for them to slap their name on. So if you want a good recorder that will last you three years, grab a Pioneer NOW while you still can.

(As expected all along, the decent Phillips 3575 has proven a lucky exception and Phillips is now back on track selling junk again. If you can find a 3575 or a Pioneer, this would be the time to buy. Good units in the USA are now a memory, leftover stock is dwindling fast: tick-tock, my friends....)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the option of getting the Philips 3575, close to the same price. You think I should go for that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I recall I think the 3575 is the one Philips model that LordSmurf said was a decent alternative.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. If they will let you exchange the 3595 for a 3575, by all means take it. The 3575 was apparently a one-time exception from Phillips rotten history of DVD recorders: it ain't perfect, but it's the next best thing to a Pioneer in the current market. The only issues they've had are tuner-related and most units still sitting in stores have been updated by now. Minor tuner and editing issues are covered extensively by member wabjxo in his threads here and over at AVS Forum. Based on wabjxo's reports alone, the Phillips is the most thoroughly documented DVD/HDD recorder ever released. You can buy it with confidence that any issue you encounter has been covered from two dozen angles in this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yea, listen to Smurf's suggestions because that went so well with the JVC. His didn't have problems so who cares about the dozens of people who did have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by samijubal
    Yea, listen to Smurf's suggestions because that went so well with the JVC. His didn't have problems so who cares about the dozens of people who did have problems.
    C'mon, now- play fair . LordSmurf merely agreed with the basic, pre-existing forum coverage of the Phillips 3575. He did not go into the same exhaustive depth as he did with the JVCs. So far LS has not posted anything inflammatory for or against the 3575 that anyone could reasonably debate him on.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

Abso-friggin-lutely: go Pioneer, while you still can.

(As expected all along, the decent Phillips 3575 has proven a lucky exception and Phillips is now back on track selling junk again. If you can find a 3575 or a Pioneer, this would be the time to buy. Good units in the USA are now a memory, leftover stock is dwindling fast: tick-tock, my friends....)
    So -- none of the follow-on Philips models turned out to be any good ?

I was under the impression that some other recorders (including the 3575) must have had DL burning capability, but I'm shocked to discover that the Pio 640 was almost the only one ? I say this even though Lord Smurf never thought much of the DL burning implementation in any DVDR. Personally, I have not noted a clear and conspicuous problem -- at least any consistent one -- in the DLs I've made with the 640. They seem to play o.k. on most of the standalone (non-Pio) players I've tried to play them on. Maybe I haven't done enough of these to see the problem, if there is one ? Assuming I did run into a problem with one, and the disc was of some importance, I'm thinking it could still be ripped on the computer, then re-burned with IMGBURN, with the 32K gaps, setting a better layer break, etc.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just one suggestion on the faulty Philips, reformat the hard drive, see if that cures it.

I think all brnads have their problems, my least problematic brands are Panasonic/Toshiba, never tried Pioneer and find JVC to be erratic between models.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by FulciLives

I'd like to try a Pioneer.
    I live in Chicago and have BB,CC, Frys, and Tweeter. None of these chains carry the Pioneer recorders. The Pioneer website doesn't even list a DVD recorder as being available. Am I missing something?
    No hijack intended.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Just one suggestion on the faulty Philips, reformat the hard drive, see if that cures it.

I think all brnads have their problems, my least problematic brands are Panasonic/Toshiba, never tried Pioneer and find JVC to be erratic between models.
    Thanx, but the problem is, say I do that, and it sorts the problem, but then the defect comes back again? I'm then out of my 28-day-return period.
    Plus, last night it decided it was receiving no signal from the TV, even though I double-chcked all connexions, and had a media drive running off one of the other SCARTS, and that worked fine, as did the telly!
    No, this unit is possessed, and I'm performing an exorcism. As Groundskeeper Willie once said --- "Ach! Back to the loch for YOU, Nessie!"
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by pinetop
    I'd like to try a Pioneer. I live in Chicago and have BB,CC, Frys, and Tweeter. None of these chains carry the Pioneer recorders. The Pioneer website doesn't even list a DVD recorder as being available. Am I missing something? No hijack intended.
    If you're in a hurry and want shopping convenience look for one of the remaining Phillips 3575s in stores or online: its a decent unit with the bonus of the only close-to-reliable ATSC digital tuner put into a recorder so far. If you prefer a Pioneer, shopping gets a bit trickier: Pioneer dropped out of the US market last year to avoid having to add an ATSC digital tuner, among other reasons. Their recorders are still available in Canada, if you have friends there they can buy one for you at Canadian megastores like Future Shop or Best Buy. Or, check online for dealers who will ship from Canada. I bought several for myself and others thru Canadian eBay dealers in overstock/surplus goods. No problems with any of them. Current North American models are 450, 550 and 650: the 450 (160gb HDD) is the easiest to get, the other models are more expensive/harder to get because they add larger drives (pointless) and USB sockets (even more pointless). The 450 is sweet at under $250 for new or "open box". Alternatively you can sometimes find the excellent last USA model 640 second hand for a good price. At this point I'd recommend avoiding used Pioneers older than the 640: their burner repair parts are becoming scarce.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    excellent post orsetto
    lmao @ Trollheart
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. Why exactly are you laughing at me???
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trollheart, maybe it's your Irish accent!?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Faith and begorrah, d'ye tink so? Is he after bein' slaggin' me accent, is that it now? I'll mallevogue 'im!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously: I've managed to exchange it for a 3575, which I just hooked up today. Reading the manual seems to indicate the same thing with editing, ie that you can only hide, not delete scenes, but I haven't tried that yet. Obv the manual appears to cover both models, so perhaps they're just being general.
    Other than that, it seems to be exactly the same machine, hopefully minus the problems I had with the 3595!
    Well, I'll let yez know how I get on (so I will!) !
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, have now checked and there is no delete section, only hide. Bit of a disappointment, but not the end of the world...
    Nevertheless, I'm keeping the receipt for THIS one VERY handy!!!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the "Hide" is probably the same as the U.S. 3575's Delete Section since nothing is really "deleted" in the 3575, just instructed to be skipped... I don't have an option to "Undelete" it. The only time a title or parts of it are "deleted" is when the Title itself is deleted, and then it's not actually deleted but the space has been "opened" for overwriting... same as in a computer where you can always recover stuff if it's not yet overwritten cuz it doesn't really delete it either.

One thing of note might be that, since they call it "Hide," you might have the advantage of physically retrieving it again by "Unhiding" which would actually be better than Deleting in my 3575 cuz you never know when you might want to make it whole again? 8)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, you do, as it says in the manual how to "unhide" sections (I haven't tried that yet, and hadn't on the 3595 either --- usually when I cut something out I want it gone. But now that you mention it, it IS handy if, for instance, I cut something out by mistake... almost like an Undelete key)
    I never told yaz the end result, the last straw -- I thought the machine failing to recognise the TV signal was it, but it wasn't. Day before I brought it back, the machine started recording for no reason (no timer set), and would NOT turn off, no matter what I did. The only way I could stop it was to unplug it.
    Just as well I'd decided to take it back, as that would have been just too much!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Trollheart
    Faith and begorrah, d'ye tink so? Is he after bein' slaggin' me accent, is that it now? I'll mallevogue 'im!
    I can see why zoobie hasn't been around anymore ... I'd be running scared too if I knew I was going to be mallevogued!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, and now for the latest --- the 3575 has started showing signs of the same faults! It's cutting out, dialogue disappearing for a few seconds. picture freezing then moving on, all the fun I had before!
    Now, I have realised that the place I had the recorder had hardly any space to left and right, ie it was in the slot quite tightly (video cabinet), so I've now moved it to on top of my telly. Manual says don't put it on top of other equipment, but tbh there's nowhere else I can put it.
    I'm running some test recordings now. If this doesn't cure its behaviour I fear I'll have to take it back again, and this time I'm going to have to demand my money back, as I'll be done with dvd recorders, and will get a Hauppage PVR instead.
    Let yez know how it turns out...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NO SPACE TO LEFT OR RIGHT... FOR A WHOLE WEEK! ARGHH!!

The U.S. 3575 has INTAKE vents on top right side of case, with fan on back.

The laser diode's worst enemy is HEAT!

HDD isn't too fond of heat either!

You suffocated your 3575!

What's the penalty for DVDRslaughter in Ireland!

Hey, I just realized, this is your 2nd DVDRslaughter!

You might be the first SERIAL DVDRslaughterer in Irish history!?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and he wants to know why I'm laffin?
    *chortles*
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, yes, yes! I know! Stupider than a very stupid person doing something extremely stupid, in a really stupid way!
    Now that I know, I have moved the recorder and lo and behold! First test, two hours plus of recording and during playback no problems at all. So I guess that was the problem all along?
    Couldn't someone have been psychic and suggested this?
    Hope it'll be ok on top of my telly now!
    First experiment successful, will run some more and see how we go.
    TH, now on the run from the DVD Homicide Squad...!
    Quote Quote