VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. If it were my store I would take bACK the Phillips in the box and with erything as was sold and Give back the Money

> ONE Condition <

He NEVER step foot in the store again --- EVER
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I had a bout with 5 Panasonic EZ-17's. They all died anywhere from 2 days up to 45 days. The problem I had was the first one lasted the 45 days and the store only had a 30 day money back policy. After 30 days I would either have to send it in for repair or they would exchange it for a new one. After the 3rd one I just wanted my money back but they would not do that. By the 5th one they changed their mind. When I asked them if I should try the EZ-28 (when it came out) they said if I did, to NOT buy it their
    Actually I didn't and my EZ-28 has been working fine(knock on wood) for 30 days now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes there are folks in life who just do not get lucky with electronics, I also have a theory that some humans have negative irons or something which electronics fight against.

I see it all the time in my computer training work, some people sit down and work and nothing goes wrong, others, its jams, switches programs,all sorts of things.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I've had two DVD recorders in the last four weeks, and neither have cut it. As I tend to watch a lot more of my TV through download these days, via my Iomega Screenplay Media Drive, I'm thinking maybe a hdd recorder ain't for me.
    So I'm now possibly looking at one without hdd, and they have the Sony RDRGX350B, whch from the little I've read of reviews, seems to be very highy rated. The other they have is the Samsung DVDR149.
    Assuming they're not going to give me my money back, these would seem to be the only two choices.
    So, any comments?
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your problem might actually be having the recorder anywhere near that behemoth television. On a hunch, I visited a friend of mine who has both the 3575 and the same (I think) 32" Sony CRT set you seem to have in your photo. She has a huge wall unit with the TV in the middle and the 3575 on an upper left-hand shelf a good three feet from the TV. I moved her Phillips to the top of the TV and sure enough, stutters chokes and false CP positives any time we tried to record to the HDD! That 32" TV has a massive flyback transformer and power supply that may be leaking just enough EMI to foul the sensitive circuits in some DVD/HDD recorders. Apparently the mfrs of our new toys don't think any of us still use CRT displays, so they don't shield them. Yikes! It could be coincidence, or it could be your TV may not cohabit well with some newer recorders.

BTW, in the States Sony DVD recorders are notorious for rampant overreaction to anything that even smells like CP, especially when hooked up to satellite. Not sure if that would apply where you are, but you may want to try every ploy in the book to get the store to refund your money rather than exchange for the Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    orsetto, great info on the TV interference test. I put a link to your post in my "3575 Features..." thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Trollheart
    OK, I've had two DVD recorders in the last four weeks, and neither have cut it. As I tend to watch a lot more of my TV through download these days, via my Iomega Screenplay Media Drive, I'm thinking maybe a hdd recorder ain't for me.
    So I'm now possibly looking at one without hdd, and they have the Sony RDRGX350B, whch from the little I've read of reviews, seems to be very highy rated. The other they have is the Samsung DVDR149.
    Assuming they're not going to give me my money back, these would seem to be the only two choices.
    So, any comments?
    Yep. Keep what you have and move on to other things.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Orsetto
    Thanks very much for that important info. However, I should point out again that I had a Panny DMR HS2 for six years running with this tv. OK, it wasn't on top of it, it was beneath the SKY box, ie the bottom right hand slot in the picture, but I never got this sort of hassle.
    So, would a DVD recorder without hdd be the way to go, or should I just go back to the old VHS?
    Seriously: I'm considering it!
    Thx guys
    TH
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that your old recorder was fine doesn't mean much. It was further from your TV, and it's possible that your old Panny was shielded, CRT TV's being far more common 6 years ago. I've often seen people state in these forums that the earlier models were built much better than what is available at present.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... and the HS2 was UNDER the skybox, which prob. shielded it further.

Nope, Trollheart, no way the charges are being dropped. In fact, the Guvmt is ADDING a charge of EmiAssault to the DvdSlaughter, both Class 1 felonies! Have a nice day!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, wonder of wonders, I got a refund!
    After explaining how I had tried two of the same model (nearly), and bemoaning the fact that there was nothing else really left in the shop I wanted, I asked what were my options, and she asked me did I want a refund? After checking with her boss she said that would be ok, so the money will be credited back to my card! Woo hoo!

So now I need advice (other than "Get lost!") --- what should I do with my money now? I'm basically looking at three maybe four options:-
    1. Get a DVD recorder without hdd
    2. Get a SKY PLUS box (basically a subscription-run PVR with integrated HDD --- this would take the place of my current SKY box)
    3. Get a PC-based PVR (Hauppage WinTV etc) and hook my telly to the PC and so record onto the hdd of the PC, then transfer the files to my Iomega for viewing on my telly
    4. See if I can get a TIVO in this country
    and I guess 5. Try again with a hdd dvd recorder, though that's probably very unlikely now...

So, any suggestions?
    And may I say, thanks to all for your help in getting this sorted, for your advice and insight. Much appreciated!

TH
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a new, modern, flat-panel TV... you're probably killing yourself slowly from Electromagnetic Radiation!

Then, get whatever you want cuz you won't be able to set it on top of the flat-panel TV!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What many people in the states are doing is getting the subscription HDD for all their time shifting and then getting a simple(even tunerless) DVDR to off load things they want to keep. This way you can get true HD for most of your programming and have a simple, cheaper DVDR for backups.
    I don't really know anything about PC cards and unless TiVo is in Ireland it would not work. It needs to get programming downloaded daily as well as Tivo does not work with SAT service(at least in the states) only cable and OTA.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx, but there's no point in my buying an LCD TV, as I'd also need a HD SKY box, otherwise the progs I receive would not be in HD, plus HD tellys are still reasonably expensive over here. Not intending to overstretch my budget, so HDTV is a while off for me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Given that PVR's are easier to program (?true?) go that route and from the decide what you want to archive onto disc, if transferring from a PVR is allowed/possible, here in Canada, TIVO comes with a dvd recorder and can transfer to that from its HDD.

With this hobby its easy to get embroiled, take a few days/a week off , do something else and often the solution comes along.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx Terry.
    I'm definitely not rushing into anything this time. I'm going to do plenty of reseach and decide what's the best solution for me.
    Until then, I have a standalone DVD recorder without hdd that I can use to record the odd prog I want to watch, that'll do me for now.
    Thx again all!
    Quote Quote