VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your pardon from the Gov'ner just came thru.

However, how long and hard did you use the machine while murtelizing it?

Hope not too long or hard cuz the heat could have done some damage that might make its life a little shorter... hard to know, of course.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Trollheart
    Couldn't someone have been psychic and suggested this?
    As a general proposition, heat buildup is bad for ALL electronics and computer gear.
    (Dust, smoke, or pet hair ain't real good for 'em either.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be fair, most of the time the machine was either on standby or turned off. I recorded very little since last week, maybe three progs, as I was most watching stuff off my media drive, so hopefully I haven't damaged it too much.
    Not to forget, the previous 3595 was nearlt THREE WEEKS in that position, so probably no wonder it died!
    D'you reckon its new home on top of my TV (CRT, not LCD, big fat one) will be ok? If not I'm going to have to start daisy-chaining SCARTs and find some way to get the antenna lead from my SKY box to stetch up to the shelf above the TV...
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On top of a CRT TV should be OK. I've had mine on one and couldn't feel any heat. The heat from my LCD is wicked... thankfully, it's too thin to set anything on top of!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool! Thx wabjxo!
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your recorder is directly on top of the TV, it won't get too warm but it's probably not sitting securely.

I solved a similar problem with a VCR by using a plastic shelf that fits on top of the TV. The front of the shelf rests on the TV itself, and the back is leveled by means of large bolts with "feet". It is held in place with self-adhesive pads. It isn't a decorator's dream, but it keeps my VCR level and prevents it from slipping off its perch.

I don't know if this kind of item is available outside of North America, but it seems like it would be. I found the one I have in a mail-order catalog, but I have seen them in stores and on the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx, but my TV is VERY wide and flat, and there's plenty of room for this slimline DVD recorder on top of it.
    If I tip it, it doesn't even start to move, so unless I hit into it at speed (why?) or the cat knocks it down, it should be secure enough.
    Thx tho!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I would worry about the cat deciding that your new recorder was worth investigating.

One time my ex's cats wrecked the built-in rabbit ears on a TV while we were sleeping. They used to chase each other around the apartment all night long for fun, and that night they decided to jump up onto the TV, although they never showed any interest in it while we were around to see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx, but my TV is VERY wide and flat, and there's plenty of room for this slimline DVD recorder on top of it.
    If I tip it, it doesn't even start to move, so unless I hit into it at speed (why?) or the cat knocks it down, it should be secure enough.
    !
    This may not do you much good, and I can't find any links or pictures at the moment, but a couple years ago I purchased one type of solution for some relatives. You may have seen one of those TV swivel stands at one time or another. The one I bought was two-tier, with a shelf compartment underneath the TV. We mounted a Pioneer 520 in the compartment, and if the position ever needs to be adjusted, the whole thing swivels as one unit. This one was made by a company in Florida, if I recall, and I bought it new, on Ebay. (But I don't see such an item there now.) It was made of pressed wood, painted, with a good quality ball-bearing deal underneath, so it won't swivel too easily or inadvertently. Inside the compartment, there was enough room left on top for another slimline component on top of the 520, and at least a couple inches clearance to either side, so airflow was not going to be an issue. The main limitation is I don't think they made one for anything larger than a 27" tv. I also think I may have seen something like this made out of a nicer real hardwood, but then you are talking a lot more money, and something hard enough to find that you might not do much worse having it custom made.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK well thanks for that, but my TV is a 32 inch, and as I said it's one of the old-style widescreens, ie very very fat! It's also seriously heavy! I recall almost busting a gut trying to get it up the stairs to my room when it arrived. I was equally worried about putting my back out as letting the damn thing fall! Wow, that was scary!

Anyway, this is what it looks like at the moment (that's it on top, obviously!) The thing near the bottom right corner, nearly out of shot, is my set-top SKY box, which gets my satellite signal from the minidish outside my house.

dsc00643.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And here it is from the side, to give you an idea of how deep the telly really is, and how secure the DVD recorder should be!
    BTW the cats aren't let into my room anymore...

dsc00644.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Faith and begorrah, man! Now I see the root of all your problems... the Budweiser!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not mine, I hasten to add! (hic!)
    Nah, they're empty boxes filled with DVDs, as I'm too cheap to go out and buy a DVD rack!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, but could still explain the "wonky" behavior of the DVDs you're playing in the 3575 as they have an organic media layer that's absorbing the Bud fumes... DUI... DVDing Under the Influence!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if you really think it's secure, that's all that counts.

For comparison, the frame around my CRT TV is 15 cm deep, My VCR is 23 cm deep, and my DVD recorder is 32 cm deep, and I still wanted a shelf, in part because the legs/rubbery pads on the bottom of these boxes weren't in contact with anything. Only the nice, smooth bottoms would have been resting on the TV. All I'd have to do is bump the TV hard while getting something inside the cabinet beside the TV, and off they'd have gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see the problem now ... DUST ... I've never seen so much dust in my life other than in the movies when someone goes into a "haunted" house.

I suggest dusting and then putting some sort of air filter into that room :P

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oi! I'll have you know, that TV has just been dusted about two days ago!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, that dust is on the telly (mostly at the side, where I dont often clean) and on the SKY box, neither of which should interfere with the working of the DVD recorder.
    In any case, it's been sussed now that the actual problem was attempted suffocation of a DVD recorder, ie not giving it any room hardly at all on either side of the cabinet (you can see where it was, bottom left side that is now empty apart from some remotes), punishable by being known as a prat for the rest of my life!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AAARRRGGHHHHH! It's doing it again!!!
    Just tried recording somehing on timer, got about three seconds of stuttery video then it shut off! Holy Christ on a unicycle!
    Do a fe more tests tomorrow, but it looks like it's headin' back to the shop.
    Again!
    Am I cursed never to have a working DVD recorder??? Maybe I should go with a PC-based PVR...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doubt it. I recorded the prog before ("Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles") and no problem.
    Will try further tests overnight and tomorrow.
    Any way I could check if it WAS copy protection? Why would that be on a TV prog tho?
    And if it is that, would a PC PVR get round it?
    These, and many more questions, to be answered in the next thriling episode!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doubt it. I recorded the prog before ("Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles") and no problem.
    Will try further tests overnight and tomorrow.
    Any way I could check if it WAS copy protection? Why would that be on a TV prog tho?
    Not sure about Ireland, but some TV providers over here put copy protection on childrens' programs and some protect EVERYTHING they send to subscribers, trying to force them to rent their set-top box.

Any Americans over there running or advising your TV networks/service providers???
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've recorded off this channel loads of times.
    Anything on the 3575 that would indicate copy-prtection? My old Panny used to flag such progs with a symbol, so that after it had recorded you could see why you hadn't got a complete recording...
    Also checking the status of the channel, but I'd be surprised if it was encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I know the little symbol you are talking about. I think it's two squares somewhat on top of each other. I don't believe the Philips does such a thing, but Wajos the expert on the 3575.
    On Panny's it seems like it will just record the thumbnail(with the little icon) but nothing else if trying to record a CP'd program.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What it actually does is it records about ten minutes of the prog then switches off. And yes, that is the symbol. It's a good idea: at least you know then why your recording failed!
    There is actually a way around this, if anyone has a Panny. If you do the recording on timer, it CAN'T switch off! It keeps trying to, so you end up with tiny little one or two-second gaps in the recording, but if you really want to see it and aren't that bothered about that, it's a good way to defeat the copy protection...
    Wish Philips did something similar...
    Anyway I recorded 6 hours (the max) of channels last night, so will check when I get home and see if any of it came out. If not, then it's the same problem, and this time it can't be blamed on inadequate/non-existent ventilation!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your EU 3575 is like the North American version, the 6-hour max is for Pause Live TV. Max. recording time in one continuous session is 12 hours.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mmm, no I think it's six hours, according to the manual. I started recording at about 1 AM and when I woke up this morning (about 7:30) the record light had gone out, so that would seem to prove that.
    People on another forum have theorised that the channel may have been accidentally encrypted (apparently it's happened before), so I'm going to check that out when I go home. Hopefully that's the case. I don't really fancy bringing this machine back again --- there's nothing else there that I want really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway I recorded 6 hours (the max) of channels last night, so will check when I get home and see if any of it came out. If not, then it's the same problem,
    The flip side of that, diagnostically speaking, is that if there are ANY channels that you can reliably record (say, some public service or local community channel, which presumably would never be copy-protected), it can't be a recording defect in the Philips . . . though I suppose it could still be some sort of oversensitive, false-positive thing like what has been reported for some other DVDR models.

and this time it can't be blamed on inadequate/non-existent ventilation!
    Unless some heat damage was already done, by the time you relocated it. All it might take is for some capacitor to go.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, the tests have come back and they're not good!
    A six-hour recording yielded about three seconds of stutter before it shut itself off, and just now I tried to record seven minutes of tv and got the same result.
    So it's back to the loch for ye, Nessie!

Trouble is, I now really need to get my money back, as there's nothign else in the store I want, and to be honest I'm starting to go right off DVD recorders. Seems impossible to get a good one! Unlikely that they'll refund me though...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    with your luck, they'll probably give you credit
    Quote Quote