VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I thought I put this question here under "Newbie", because it's supposed to be an otherwise simple task, but I just can't quite figure it out.

I have a ATI X800 All-in-TV wonder card, and I am trying to display some video out from my computer to the TV. In the box I found a "AV out cable", so I connected that cable to the appropriate outlet on my ATI graphic card, then to TV, and I can see my computer desktop on the TV screen.

However, there's problem when I tried to view videos on the TV. I tried playing some videos using WMP, but the screen part of the view is "blank" on TV. I tried viewing some Youtube videos with Firefox, again video portion of the screen is also blank on TV. So far, the only successful attempt was with a FLVPlayer playing some flv files, which showed ok on the TV.

The next problem is with the audio. I have no audio from TV regardless of whether the video was successfully displayed or not. Initially I thought audio connection should go by a different cable, but this "AV Out" cable from the box has 3 connections, yellow, white and red. The yellow part is for video, while red and white are supposely for audio. With that, I assume somehow the ATI card is also directing sound towards that same connection on the graphic card, to be relayed to TV, or am I incorrect?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The video problem sounds like a overlay adjustment in your video card. Go to 'Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshooting' and lower the slider down to about 1/3 and see if the video appears. If so, it's an overlay setting for your card that's incorrect. Another way to check is to use VLC player. Run one instance of VLC, then with it still running, run a second one. One should have video and the other not if your settings are incorrect. Usually the cure is in the card settings. Consult your video card manual.

For your audio, you need a cable from your 'Line out' on your audio card. You can purchase a 1/8" phono plug to RCA stereo adapter at many stores that carry audio accessories.

Quote Quote  
  3. I managed to get audio working with the correct connection. Without changing any video setting, I tried by running VLC player, and the first one showed blank, but the second VLC player showed the video ok. As matter of fact, once I run one VLC player (which is blank), subsequent video display shows ok, including WMP. That's even after I close the first VLC player which was showing blank. I am not entirely sure which part of the video setting should be changed to correct this, but for now, it's workable.

BTW, is there a problem leaving this video streaming connection out to TV constantly, or should I disable it when it's not needed/used? I was wondering if it increases power output to the graphic card and adds more heat, thereby increasing chance of heating issue for the card or the machine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've never totally understood control of overlay, but this Wikipedia article does fairly well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay If it presently works, good enough.

I suppose leaving the streaming on may affect GPU temps, but I've never noticed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Disable overlay in VLC. Settings -> Preferences -> Video -> Output Modules -> Advanced Settings (button in lower right) -> Windows GDI output.

This isn't really optimal. You might also look into running the video output in theater mode where whatever is playing in a media player window will appear full screen on the TV.
    Quote Quote