VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a movie in standard definition, and I found that I could get the movie in HD, which I think would be great. The problem is that I can't find the HD version in English!

I've seen a lot of stuff around about how you can extract the video and audio aspects of an MKV file, but nothing about AVIs or other formats. So is that possible?

If so, is it possible to extract the audio from the AVI and put it in the MKV?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want to extract the audio stream from an AVI source, use YAMB or AVI-Mux GUI
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow that was fast! Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again, I'm experiencing some problems with this little endeavor.

It seems no matter what I do, when I try to convert my files into a 360 compliant video, the program I use freezes up.

I've tried to convert the audio swapped .mkv that I made in GotSent, and as soon as I load it it freezes.

I also found another tutorial explaining how to use YAMB to make the video, and when I load the .h264 video file, it freezes for a little while, and then doesn't get added to the input list.

I was thinking it could be the size of files, maybe? Its a full length HD movie, 1hour and 44minutes. Does that make a difference?

Once again, I appreciate the help
    Quote Quote  
  5. If your final goal is to make a video compliant with xbox360 you should read up on what is supported. There could be many reasons behind your problems, but you haven't provided enough information on specific codec. 4GB is the limit for xbox

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a fairly large amount of codecs installed, and can play the files without a problem.

If you can tell me what information about them you need, and how to get it, I'd be happy to post it here. I'm not one to expect to be fed every answer I need, and I did spend a loonng time researching and experimenting before I posted this. I have at least 6 programs on my desktop alone that I've tried in so many combinations, but with no luck

My version of the file is just under 4GB so that should be fine. I did do some research on what is supported by Xbox360, which is how I found the need for a conversion in the first place, along with a program that is supposed to make it easy, and a pretty comprehensive tutorial involving a longer process.

Thanks for the info, and I hope you can still help!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm assuming your video is the HD version mentioned earlier, and you have separate audio demuxed from an AVI source?

1st thing to do is check to see if they conform to the specs in that link. If they do, hopefully you won't have to convert to something else and end up losing quality. Mediainfo should provide a lot of info.

Please provide info on the audio + video codec, bitrates.

Does the .mkv you put together play on your PC ok?

Why did YAMB fail? do you have the error log?

Last resort should be converting to some other format, but there are several options. ripbot264 and megui both have an encoding profile compatible with xbox360. ripbot is easier to use; megui has many more options
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the audio file:

Codec - MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
    Bitrate - 128 Kbps

For the .mkv video:

Codec - AVC
    Bitrate - 5125 Kbps

The .h264 video file froze MediaInfo....

The .mkv plays fine on my PC.
    I have YAMB set to put the log in the output folder, but I don't see one there, or the YAMB folder.

I really appreciate the help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. The .h264 is just the raw stream demuxed from the .mkv?
    Dimensions? Codec Level? (eg. 5.1, 4.1...), Frame Rate?

For maximum compatibility you should probably re-encode your audio to AAC, and put into .mp4 container. For h.264, 4.1 is the highest supported by xbox.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yah, .h264 was demuxed from the .mkv. I don't know if the info you asked for was supposed to be for that, but like I said, it froze MediaInfo when I tried to load it.

The info for the .mkv is:

Width : 1280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps

It didn't give any info on the codec level.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If your video is 4.1 or lower

1) Open up your .mkv in avidemux, say "yes" to use that mode....
    2) Video sidebar "copy"
    3) Audio (not sidebar, at top menu) =>Main Track=> Audio source => External MP3 (now direct to where your mp3 track is)
    4) Format sidebar "mp4"
    5) Press save, include the extension (e.g. "myfile.mp4")

If your video is AVC level 5.1, you will have to re-encode. The easiest way is ripbot264, select 4.1 "consoles" for the video profile
    Quote Quote  
  12. Use mediainfo on your .mkv. You will get something like this when you select view=>text

Video #0
    Codec : AVC
    Codec/Family : AVC
    Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Codec profile : High@L5.1
    Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
    PlayTime : 34s 458ms
    Bit rate : 5432 Kbps
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display Aspect ratio : 2.35
    Chroma : 4:2:0
    Interlacement : Progressive
    Language : English

EDIT: You should probably encode the mp3 => aac in the audio step I listed above. You can do that in avidemux as well
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see now, I was using the .mkv file that I removed the sound from. Heres the one with the replaced audio:

Video #0
    Codec : AVC
    Codec/Family : AVC
    Codec/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Codec profile : High@L5.1
    Codec settings, CABAC : Yes
    PlayTime : 1h 44mn
    Bit rate : 5118 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 5340 Kbps
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display Aspect ratio : 16/9
    Chroma : 4:2:0
    Interlacement : Progressive
    Title : Appleseed Ex Machina
    Writing library : x264 - core 58 svn-736M
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=10 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=15,10 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=4 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=5340 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.6:15.0
    Language : Japanese
    AspectRatio : 1.778

Audio #0
    Codec : MPEG-1 Audio layer 3
    Codec profile : Joint stereo
    PlayTime : 1h 44mn
    Bit rate mode : VBR
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Title : bestdivx-appleseed_audio
    Writing library : LAME3.90.
    Encoding settings : ABR

So I guess I should get ripbot264, huh? I'll give that a try and post/edit with the results

EDIT:

Should it have an estimated finish time of 9 hours? Did I pick a bad setting somewhere? Nothing else that I've done so far has taken more than 10 minutes...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It finally finished, and ended up working out OK.

There was a considerable quality loss, but I pretty much expected that (although after taking over 24 hours, I was hoping it wouldn't happen) Its still a little better than the SD version at least.

Too bad it couldn't turn out better, but I really appreciate all the help you gave me. Hopefully the next HD movie I come into posession of will be 4.1 ^_^ Thanks again!
    Quote Quote