VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, all

I have a Sony handycam with digital 8 tape. I have Image mixer and use it to capture the video on the tape to my computer. It takes like 4GB to convert 10 mins of video to AVI. Is there any way to compress it this is impractical. I have 1and half hours of video on the tape.

Please help

Best regards

Bonbooni
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bonbooni
    Hi, all

I have a Sony handycam with digital 8 tape. I have Image mixer and use it to capture the video on the tape to my computer. It takes like 4GB to convert 10 mins of video to AVI. Is there any way to compress it this is impractical. I have 1and half hours of video on the tape.

Please help

Best regards

Bonbooni
    If the taped material is important, archive it as is on 2 tapes tape or 4GB at a time to DVDR (90 min = 19GB or approx 5 DVDR).

You can encode to any other format you want. If DVD is the goal look at ULead Movie Factory.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much. So what if I convert it to mpeg or some other format, will this decrease the space required on the hard disk and if so to what extent?? In ANOTHER WORDS what is the least time will it take to convert 90 mins on a digital8 tape to the harddisk??

best regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bonbooni
    Thank you so much. So what if I convert it to mpeg or some other format, will this decrease the space required on the hard disk and if so to what extent?? In ANOTHER WORDS what is the least time will it take to convert 90 mins on a digital8 tape to the harddisk??

best regards
    Speed depends on the CPU power of your computer. Reasonable archive quality for DV->MPeg2 (approximately 6000-8000 Kb/s) would reduce size to 1-2 DVDR. 6000Kb/s should fit one DVDR but the quality will be reduced.

For better quality capture your video to HDD first with WinDV, then separately encode to MPeg2. If you capture on the fly in real time, quality will be reduced.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote