VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to make the best stereo sound I can of musical videos and use a RODE NTG-2 mic for most applications. If I want to record a choir should I use two mono mics or should I (could I) use two stereo mics at different sides of the choir connected to the XLR inputs of my camera. Also - would it be best to use cardioid or omnidirectional mics for best results? What mics would you recommend for good sound recording which would not break the bank? Thanks for your help.
    Graham Archard
    Quote Quote  
  2. Two stereo mics won't accomplish anything. Go to taperssection.com and ask there. It is a site dedicated to recording. You can find tons of information there and some good people who will give you good advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The RODE NTG-2 is a shotgun mic and totally unsuitable for a choir - as for what type of microphone technique, I use 2 crossed pair stereo cardioid mics angled at 110° (the ORTF preferred angle http://www.pro-sound.com/BrandSch/SSCHMSTC64g.html ) not suggestion you obtain this particular model at over US$3k but the principle is excellent for large scale works including choirs and symphony orchestras. Hopefully the acoustics will also help both the sound and performance.

PS any reasonable quality cardiods angled at between 90° and 110° will give you good results. The advantage of the 110° angle is it gives good ambience from rear speakers if connectd in most DOLBY decoders.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote