VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody:
    I have Roxio CD/DVD creator on both my computers. The software came as a free supplement to LG CD-RW drives. Full-function Roxio has many other things, like Photosuit (a picture editor), a media player, but I am perfectly happy with the bare-bones version that came with LG CD-RW drives. (Actually, LG was selling their drives with Adaptec several years ago, then it became Roxio and now, I understand, it is Nero)
    I never had any problems with Roxio, when I had Adaptec on the other computer, they were both perfectly compatible, both on CDR and CDRW
    However, recently I had to get some files from a CDR, which was burned on Nero (Vista). My Explorer (XP) just does not see it.
    As a matter of fact, I tried this CDR on two other computers (neighbors), which also have Roxio (and XP). Not one of four computers could see anything. (All XP).
    I even had to ask that party to transfer the files onto a Flash card.
    The Roxio may well have nothing to do with it, since I am not getting anywhere while still at Windows Explorer, but still, for dragging files to CDRW with Explorer you need a program like Roxio/Adaptec/Nero etc
    Again, this is not CDRW, but I mentioned Roxio just in case, to provide all the background info possible
    I am not planning to upgrade to Vista any time soon.
    Did anybody ran into this kind of a problem?
    Thx: walter
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I believe XP uses a version of Roxio for it's built in burner engine. Nero and Roxio couldn't get along in the past, but I understand that problem was fixed some time ago.

Personally, I wouldn't use either for burning a DVD or a CD. ImgBurn does a much better job of just the burning part. With Vista, Nero versions 7 and 8 are needed for compatibility, but most parts of the earlier Nero 6 suite will run on Vista, but with warnings.

I would suspicion that the problem with the Vista disc is more related to Nero faults than Vista. Have him try burning the same file with ImgBurn and see if that works properly on your computer. ImgBurn and Nero get along fine. Probably Roxio also.

Or the problem could just be poor quality media, though that is rarer with CD media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Redwudz:
    you were giving helpful suggestions in the past, as well.
    Regarding the actual info, I have got it on the Flash card, I am just curious regarding possible incompatibility problems with Nero. I heard people had problems with it (early versions)
    Thx:walter
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero should be able to produce a compatible disc. The main complaint I have with it is it's tendency to want to re-encode files when they are often already compliant. This can cause problems at times. I would definitely not recommend it for burning dual layer DVDs.

Since the file you got on the flash drive appears to be OK, the problem seems to point back to Nero or something it has done. That is assuming the CD/DVD media brand is not at fault. Try giving your friend a blank disc and have him try ImgBurn. It's freeware. That might answer the question.

You might also ask him which version of Nero he is using. Some of the early version 7 series of Nero had problems with Vista. Nero is up to V8.3X at present. (And about $80US )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by walter4h
    Actually, LG was selling their drives with Adaptec several years ago, then it became Roxio and now, I understand, it is Nero)
    Adaptec/Roxio is a different company from Nero.

Both produce burning software, and you usually get a version of one or the other as an OEM install when buying a burner. Incompatibilites have arisen if you have both installed.
    Quote Quote