VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jagabo
    It depends on the player software. From what I've heard, the current player programs degrade the video over VGA whether the image constraint token is set or not.
    Degrades to what level, that's the question. I don't mind a little degradation, as long as it does't degrade it to SD resolution.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    Because PowerDVD uses hardware decompression chips on the graphics card (few other players do this). That offloads the decompression step from the CPU. I don't know if PowerDVD will play ripped Blu-ray or other HD files the same way.
    Well I don't plan to rip Blu-Ray movies, I just want view them once and then return them to the video store.

In the following review:

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2977&p=4

they use a CPU that is probaly close in power to yours. Playing h.264 encoded 1080p video requires over 90 percent of CPU time in many cases. At that high CPU usage the video will often stutter. There have been reports here of this problem with CPUs similar to yours.
    Not sure they're using a CPU close to mine, according to CyberLink, my CPU is part of the recommended list and not the minimum one:

AMD (Minimum):

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz or 4000+ 2.0 GHz, Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6 GHz, TL-52 1.6 GHz or TL-56 1.8 GHz

AMD (Recommended):

Athlon 64 FX FX-60 2.6 GHz or FX-62 2.8 GHz, Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz, 4400+ 2.2 GHz, 4600+ 2.4 GHz, 4800+ 2.4 GHz or 5000+ 2.6 GHz, Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0 GHz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by the_importer
    It depends on the player software. From what I've heard, the current player programs degrade the video over VGA whether the image constraint token is set or not.
    Degrades to what level, that's the question. I don't mind a little degradation, as long as it does't degrade it to SD resolution.
    Slightly better than SD from what I've heard.

Originally Posted by the_importer
    Because PowerDVD uses hardware decompression chips on the graphics card (few other players do this). That offloads the decompression step from the CPU. I don't know if PowerDVD will play ripped Blu-ray or other HD files the same way.
    Well I don't plan to rip Blu-Ray movies, I just want view them once and then return them to the video store.
    Then your current CPU will be OK as long as you get a video card that supports h.264, VC1, and MPEG2 decompression and use PowerDVD for playback. This is why the advisor is telling you your current graphics card is inadequate. You'll need HDMI/HDCP for full resolution.

In the following review:

they use a CPU that is probaly close in power to yours. Playing h.264 encoded 1080p video requires over 90 percent of CPU time in many cases. At that high CPU usage the video will often stutter. There have been reports here of this problem with CPUs similar to yours.
    Not sure they're using a CPU close to mine, according to CyberLink, my CPU is part of the recommended list and not the minimum one:
    Because they are assuming you will be using PowerDVD and a video card that handles the decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Slightly better than SD from what I've heard.

Then you will be OK as long as you get a video card that supports h.264, VC1, and MPEG2 decompression and use PowerDVD for playback. This is why the advisor is telling you your current graphics card is inadequate. You'll need HDMI/HDCP for full resolution.

In the following review:

Because they are assuming you will be using PowerDVD and a video card that handles the decoding.
    Well, guess I need to figure out the price of a Blu-Ray & decent video card and see if it's more expensive than a standalone Blu-Ray or PS3. Or perhaps the best thing would be to wait, I mean my local video store doesn't even have Blu-Ray movies to rent, I have to go somewhere father and they only have like 1/4 of a section for them >_>

The price for Blu-Ray drives is bound to drop soon enough, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, guess I need to figure out the price of a Blu-Ray & decent video card and see if it's more expensive than a standalone Blu-Ray or PS3. Or perhaps the best thing would be to wait, I mean my local video store doesn't even have Blu-Ray movies to rent, I have to go somewhere father and they only have like 1/4 of a section for them >_>

If you join Netflix they have Blu-ray movies available. By the time you buy a upgraded video card, blu-ray drive and purchase POWERDVD to view blu-ray movies you might as well buy a PS3. Because the price for all of that will be close to the price of a PS3. I've debated on upgrading as well but for the cost the PS3 would be the better buy. If you buy a PS3 from Sonystyle.com and get their credit card you'll get a $100.00 off the PS3. I highly doubt the prices of blu-ray drives will drop because when demand is high, Sony & other manufacturers of Blu-ray drives will just raise the prices. Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by budz

If you join Netflix they have Blu-ray movies available. By the time you buy a upgraded video card, blu-ray drive and purchase POWERDVD to view blu-ray movies you might as well buy a PS3. Because the price for all of that will be close to the price of a PS3. I've debated on upgrading as well but for the cost the PS3 would be the better buy. If you buy a PS3 from Sonystyle.com and get their credit card you'll get a $100.00 off the PS3. I highly doubt the prices of blu-ray drives will drop because when demand is high, Sony & other manufacturers of Blu-ray drives will just raise the prices. Just my 2 cents!
    I refuse the join the American Lazy way of renting movies Online >_>

As for pricing, you need to remind you how fast prices for PC hardware drops. My first CD burner back in 2001 cost me $250 for a 4X4X24. Today, I can buy a DVD DL burner for $50 :P

Some technology stays expensive while most don't. Right now, I could buy an LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/DVD-Burner on eBay for $150 and I bet it comes with a DVD playing software to play Blu-Ray since it's in retail box. The only thing stopping me is the fact that I don't have a decent video card which I would buy if I actually needed it for something else.

Still, I'm sure that with the price for both LG Drive and Video card, that it would be cheaper than a PS3 which I don't think I'd use for playing games since I don't really like the sort of games that are out for that system. Sure the PS3 will drop in pricing, but so will Blu-Ray drives and current video card value.

I say that by the time my local video store gets their first Blu-Ray movies, that the pricing will be just right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure it'll come with only OEM software to playback Blu-ray/HD discs. It's not a full version of POWERDVD. Read the reviews of the LG blu-ray/dvd burner at Newegg.com.

One review said it's, "It is supposedly near impossible to upgrade to the paid version once you install the included version".

If you decide to buy the LG drive from Ebay and get a upgraded video card you'll also have to buy the software to use to playback Blu-ray discs. I've also read that using ANYDVD HD is also good to use as well. IMHO I would never buy any dvd drive from EBAY. Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budz
    Sure it'll come with only OEM software to playback Blu-ray/HD discs. It's not a full version of POWERDVD. Read the reviews of the LG blu-ray/dvd burner at Newegg.com.

One review said it's, "It is supposedly near impossible to upgrade to the paid version once you install the included version".

If you decide to buy the LG drive from Ebay and get a upgraded video card you'll also have to buy the software to use to playback Blu-ray discs. I've also read that using ANYDVD HD is also good to use as well. IMHO I would never buy any dvd drive from EBAY. Just my 2 cents!
    If it plays Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, why would I want to upgrade to the Full version? Also, if the guy that had the problem after updating wasn't smart enough to use System Restore and revert back to before he installed it, that's his problem.

Finally, for eBay, I really don't see the problem in this. I've been buying from eBay since 2001. Yes, I had a few bad transaction (counting for maybe 2%), but I won my claims every time because I'm not some douche bad who goes around and yelling when something goes wrong with an Online transaction. I stay clam, explain everything and win every time.

IMO, people who complain about eBay aren't smart shoppers and are lousy and proving their claims. The only time I don't buy on eBay is when the item I want is to close to the actual retail price (why buy online when it's faster to go to the store) and when the shipping would be too expensive (a TV for example).
    Quote Quote