VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm working on an archive of MSDS sheets for the interior designers that patronize our store. I decided to make it as a web page so it would be cross OS friendly. I'm running into one issue so far. I'm not a web designer by any means but with Dreamweaver at hand I've put together the first few pages of the site and made sure it validates correctly. Now I've tested it running from disk in IE and Firefox with no problems. When I open it in Opera though I have issues accessing the PDF files on the disk. It will open one PDF file from the link and the rest show up as odd characters, mostly kanji from the look of it. I tried everything I can think of to adjust mime type thinking that may be the issue, but with no luck. Finally I uploaded part of it to freewebs just to test it on the internet. The problem disappears once the site is put online. Unfortunately I'll be distributing this on CD so that doesn't do me much good. If anyone could take a look at the source code and tell me if there is anything I can do to make Opera behave with this, I'd appreciate it. You can view the partial upload at www.freewebs.com/morrispaint/html/shawdata.html
    Not all the links are active, only the first few downloads for testing purposes. Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, you should use

[s:0b02f619f1]<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC etc etc etc>[/s:0b02f619f1]

<HTML[s:0b02f619f1]xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"[/s:0b02f619f1]>

<META http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="[s:0b02f619f1]application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8[/s:0b02f619f1]text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    There really is no point in calling UTF-8~encoding when the text in the page
    does not contain 16-bit printable characters. HTH.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the input. It was actually set up as text/html to begin with though I think it still called for UTF-8 encoding. It had the same issues as before so I started changing a few things around. I changed it to application/xhtml+xml because that is what W3 standard says it should be. It didn't make any difference anyway. I think it's just an Opera issue when opening local files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The majority of your users will likely be IE and Firefox anyway. While it would be nice to have it work with all browsers, I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to fix it. Just include a note in the readme file stating the issues you find with Opera.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes I've done that. I was just hoping I could work it out but sometimes that isn't possible. I haven't tested it on a Mac or Linux system at all since I don't currently have ready access to one so it's hard to tell what other issues may crop up.
    Quote Quote