VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found some valuable footage that I capped with my DVD recorder. I want to post it to Youtube but there is a file size and time limit. The full length of the video is 36 minutes, so I could split it into 4 9 minute sections and post it in the maximum file size per piece (100 meg, I believe). Should I:

1) Do the conversion to Xvid AVI (or other format) to a max. of 400 Meg and split it later.

or

2) Split the Mpeg into 4 equal pieces and convert each piece with a maximum size of 100 Meg per piece.

I don't do a lot of posting anything anymore so this is all pretty new to me. In the old days I would have just posted to Usenet or something where I could post the entire clip in whatever format I wanted but these days for maximum exposure Youtube seems to be it. Any advice would be most welcome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do either. However, it's always good practice to do your edits before any "final" compression beforehand IMHO, especially since highly compressed codecs like Xvid have key frames that are far apart and harder to "cut" accurately.

Having said that I recommend 2), but nevertheless, here's what you can do:

1) Use VirtualDub to cut your (Xvid) AVI. Load it, use the mark in mark out and slider at the bottom (using Shift helps) to cut your file. Then go to Video->Direct Stream Copy to ensure the cut is quick and lossless. Then File->Save as AVI, name and save. You may have to do this a couple of times for each piece respectively. However, like I mentioned, your cuts may not be accurate since key frames are further apart.

2) Use a dedicated MPEG editor like Womble, TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, Video Redo. All are excellent, make frame accurate cuts and won't re-encode. A good free one is Cuttermaran.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your input. The only problem I have with using #2 is when attempting to piece the 4 parts back together again as a single playable piece won't this cause problems since each piece will be considered different even if the parameters are set the same? Doing it in one go assures that the final outcome is compliant and can be put back together again. I'm not so sure with doing it the other way...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't use VBR audio then the pieces will be considered the same and will join. If you do use VBR MP3 audio, use AVI Demux instead - it handles it much better than virtualdub
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I agree that if there's one "incompatible" property, it would be in the audio when rejoining the Xvid clips after you cut and encoded them.

You do make a good point however. I would still recommend 2) but before you do anything demux the audio and video from the original first. Keep the audio on the side for when you have the final result with the joined Xvid video and mux it in the final result (whether the audio was encoded to MP3 or retained as AC3/other/etc.).

Most of us usually encode audio and video separately anyway since that too is a good practice as well IMHO.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote