VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi...
    i want to convert vcd(.dat) file to avi..but wen i open file in virtual dub i get this pop up n the entire vide isnt gettin converted only the part which video stream is chck is bein converted n remainin is not.....so plzzz help me outtt........plzzzzzz

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The warning fairly well summed it up, the file may be damaged or incomplete. You can try opening it with 'File>Open video file' then at the bottom left of the page, select, 'Ask for extended options after this dialog', then the next page 'Redirive keyframes'. This can fix the index most times, but you may have more problems.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using vcdgear to first grab the mpeg from dat, then try vdub again

Personally, its vcdgear, then avidemux for such things
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thnx fr rplyin bt i didnt get u.....wer can i find this extended option
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    actually its a dat file..then wats d use of goin 2 vcdgear n 1 morethin the video isnt corrupted i mean i can play d whole movie perfectly without any probs....................so plzz help me out guyss........i want 2 convert this moviee plzzzzzzzz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've never had any problems opening VCD .dat files with VirtualDub. I use VirtualDub Mod most times, but the newest VDub should work also, but you may need to add the MPEG plugin for it. I find VD Mod a lot easier to use.

Just because a file plays back doesn't mean it can't have errors that can interfere with copying it. Players can ignore some errors that a encoder program will choke on.

For VDM:

But that may not help any with the program not being able to load the whole file.
    Quote Quote  

7. different when importing MPEG files:

Using the latest DirectShow source filter from the link below might work.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348265.html

I have a DAT file with the same problem. Using the DirectShow source filter allowed conversion of the entire file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you play the whole movie on the PC? with which player?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    windows media player..n thnx guys bt i tried wit virtualdubmod bt its nt workin.....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in that case, loading via directshowsource in virtualdubmod should work

you will need to install avisynth for it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i installed avisynth n copyd DirectShow source filter in plugin folder of virtualdubmod n wen i use DirectShowSource in AviSynth template..im gettin popup sayin "Failed to Create Script"

mgh plzzzz hekp me man........
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the directshowsource filter should be in the avisynth plugins folder. which version of avisynth have you installed?
    edit ps
    btw the directshowsource plugin mentioned in the post above is for the latest versions of virtualdub and not virtualdubmod. it should ideally be installed in the plugins32 folder of virtualdub (1.7.7 or later). might work as well since it is based on the avisynth directshowsource filter.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stranzer
    actually its a dat file..then wats d use of goin 2 vcdgear n 1 morethin the video isnt corrupted i mean i can play d whole movie perfectly without any probs....................so plzz help me out guyss........i want 2 convert this moviee plzzzzzzzz
    You seem to be ignoring some good advice. To summarize:

1) OK playback does NOT always mean the file is fine.
    2) VCDgear has a tool for fixing minor problems. Use the .dat --> .mpg conversion option with "fix mpeg errors" checked.
    3) Hope for success.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well mgh i did as u said b thers no use........i used avisynth 2.5 n virtualdub 1.7.7 i copied directshow plugin in avisynth plugin folder bt thers no use im gettin d same probs..........well im gettin other .dat videos bt this video is only troubling me...........
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    avisynth+virtualdubmod as i have shown-should work if the file is playing in windows media player correctly
    or
    virtualdub 1.7.7 with the directshow source plugin mentioned in
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348265.html
    in its plugins32 folder-while opening file select the file first then select directshowsource from the file type dropdown list and click OK-might also work as the plugin is based on the avisynth directshowsource filter.
    you are mixing up the wrong things together
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another thing to note is that virtualdub is complaining about timecode breaks. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions, but if those don't work, you may wish to give MPEGstreamclip (free and great) a try. It has the ability to fix such breaks. It may not be able to do so directly on .dat streams (but maybe it can), so you may have to use vcdgear to perform a .dat --> .mpg conversion, and then use MPEGstreamclip to fix timecode breaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    you may have to use vcdgear to perform a .dat --> .mpg conversion, and then use MPEGstreamclip to fix timecode breaks.
    VCDGear has an option to "fix MPEG errors" when making its MPEG. That may be enough.

Anyway, a DAT (like a VOB) sometimes works as an MPEG, but better to make a proper MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    VCDGear has an option to "fix MPEG errors" when making its MPEG. That may be enough.

Anyway, a DAT (like a VOB) sometimes works as an MPEG, but better to make a proper MPEG.
    Yup, that's exactly why I already mentioned the "fix MPEG errors" feature in my first post. The second post was to provide additional suggestions in case the earlier ones don't work for some reason or other. My suggestion there to use VCDgear to convert from dat to a true mpeg was precisely to address the point that you raise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    Yup, that's exactly why I already mentioned the "fix MPEG errors" feature in my first post. The second post was to provide additional suggestions in case the earlier ones don't work for some reason or other. My suggestion there to use VCDgear to convert from dat to a true mpeg was precisely to address the point that you raise.
    Sorry, I skipped over the earlier posts.
    And the OP appears to be paying even less attention.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

And the OP appears to be paying even less attention.
    That does seem to be the case!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    k..thnx fr givin replies guys.......i lost my net so i didnt giv any response.srry mgh i wil try n tell if im gettin r nt....thnxx again fr rplyin
    Quote Quote