VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey y'all I see on ebay someone is selling 8 of the hard-to-find Toshiba RD-XS35 Factory Refub HDD Recorders (one of the "good" Toshibas) with 90-day Warranty. I'm lucky to have that unit and yeah, it's good. It's really complicated to learn so get ready for that but the features and results are worth it.

Buy It Now $229.95 + shipping + sales tax (CA). That's less than what most used ones are going for.

EDIT: I see they are also on Amazon.com from the same seller.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have one (and an XS-55) and it is an excellent unit - bit of a learning curve, but then it's great. Makes very nice menus for discs and has excellent picture quality. Many nice features.
    Bron
    Quote Quote  
  3. Toshibas are great machines often cursed with not-great burners: the "refurbishments" almost always involved replacement of bad burners. Nonetheless the price is really fair on this offer, these usually sell for much more. So if its burner croaks prematurely down the line, you still got a great buy even with the potential future repair cost. And since its refurbished, somebody else already took the hit for a bum burner anyway, which ups your odds of getting a good one. (Every make has an Achilles Heel: with Toshibas, its the burner. Strange that they manage to mfr reliable player drives but their recording drives are as fragile as vacuum tubes.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Orsetto I didn't know that about the Toshiba burners. I was wondering if the machine had any weaknesses. I don't use the burner very much now that there's a HDD but will make a point of really using it sparingly if it's fragile. Mine's not one of those refurbs but right now I'm wishing it was.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My KX50 uses a Panasonic burner. If the XS35s are the same, they wouldn't have the problems the Toshiba burners do.
    Quote Quote