VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix, HBO, etc! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to extract frames from a VOB file at predetermined positions (say 5s, 10s, etc).
    I can comfortably do this if i initially convert the VOB file to AVI format. But when it comes to getting frames directly from the VOB file, it is giving me a bit of headache.

Anybody with code ideas? (c,c++,c#)
    void izmoto(char* szKwazi);
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use DGIndex, make a d2v file, and then pretty much treat that like an AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi-

Here's one way. Make an AviSynth script with this line (or some variation):

SelectEvery(250,0)

That tells you for every 250 frames (10 seconds at 25fps), save the first frame. Open it in VDub(Mod), and then File->Save Image Sequence. Give them a name and choose to save as BMP, PNG, or TGA.

You can do something similar directly in VDubMod by opening the VOB file (or the AviSynth script file made from that VOB), going Video->Frame Rate->Decimate By 250, and then saving the Image Sequence. Adjust the Decimation based on your framerate and length between pics.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK,

Thanks for your input (i've just downloaded a copy of DGIndex and i'm looking at how it might serve the needs of my current project).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono,

About "...You can do something similar directly in VDubMod by opening...".
    I am using VirtualDubMpeg-2 to covert the VOB to an AVI file. So i think your solution will serve me better in this.

I've tried it and it is actually working OK.
    I would like to create a dynamic VCF (VirtualDub Configuration File) that achieves the same result.
    Waht is the instruction for File->Save Image Sequence... (in a VCF file)
    Quote Quote  
  6. How about File->Save Processing Settings (in VDubMod, maybe the same in yours)? If that's not what you want, then I have no idea.

I remembered something I got from Baldrick the other day (thanks Baldrick!) that you may (or may not) find useful. I used a movie trailer I had lying around and this script:

LoadPlugin("D:\AviSynth Stuff\Dlls\DGDecode.dll")
    MPEG2Source("E:\Black Widow\4-1\4-1.d2v")
    Crop(2,8,-14,-10)
    LanczosResize(208,112)
    SelectEvery(240,0)

I opened the script in Media Player Classic and then File->Save Thumbnails. I resized them a bit to fit on this page:

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono,

I think i just got a solution
    In teh Save Image Sequence... dialog box, there's this check box that goes like 'Don't run this job now; add it to job control so i can run it in batch mode.'.
    After dismissing the dialog box (Click OK), VirtuDub will save the info in a file called VirtualDub.jobs (in the directory where VirtualDub is running).
    So i've opened the VirtualDub.jobs file and the line:
    "VirtualDub.SaveImageSequence("E:\\Testing\\al l frames\\vts", ".jpeg", 4, 2, 95);"

is just waht i was looking for.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I extract screens from a vob file and save them to jpg or png? John
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    Can I extract screens from a vob file and save them to jpg or png? John
    Yes.
    Quote Quote