VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, bought my 3595 and so far very happy with it, though I've only been using it a few hours...
    One problem (not really a problem, more an annoyance) is that I can't seem to properly hook it up to my amp in order to get true stereo sound from my music DVDs. There are audio sockets on the back, yes, but only two (left and right). My amp (Marantz PM60100SE) has four outputs, ie l/r for left speaker, and the same for right, in other words, red and white for each speaker. If I connect up to the recorder I can get sound out of one speaker but not the other.
    The other thing is digital coax connection, but my amp doesn't seem to have any digital connexions, being as I guess t is an analogue amp.
    Any ideas? Is there a splitter I could get that would allow me to connect two sets of RCAs to the one, so that I could split the signal coming out of the recorder into the amp?
    Just a thought...
    Thx for any help.
    TH, currently happy owner of a Philips 3595!
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What ???

The Philips should have two audio outputs ... left channel and right channel ... your amp should have the same inputs ... left channel input and right channel input.

It's just like any other device that you hook into your amp. Stereo means two channels a left and right. The left is usually white in color and the right is usually red in color.

Output of Philips goes to input of amp. The amp should have multiple inputs like CD, TAPE, PHONO, AUX etc. so it would connect to one of those inputs.

Speakers are different and have nothing to do with what you are talking about.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, but I did that. Red and white RCAs to the output of the Philips, then the AUX on my amp has FOUR inputs, two each for red and white. If I hook it up this way I can only hear sound from one speaker -- why do you say speakers have nothing to do with it? They are connected to the amp, so they would have to have everything to do with it.
    Am I misunderstanding here?
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Put it this way: my extremely El Cheapo DVD player (Himage) has on the back FOUR audio outs, two red two white, and when I link these via RCA to my amp, I get full stereo sound through both speakers. Not so with the Philips, presumably because it has only 2 outputs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, "true" stereo == 2 audio channels.
    BTWs: my El-Cheapo LG has 8 analog audio outputs
    (2 = stereo, 6 = 5.1 Dolby) and 1 digital audio output
    (for DTS).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting amp. Mine only needs one set of inputs to drive 4 speakers. 2 left and 2 right. Your amp sounds different.
    In your case just a simple Y cable(one male plug, 2 female jacks) should work just fine.
    You'll need 2 Y cables. One for Left channel, one for right channel. You should have no problem doing this to the audio jacks. The yellow video jack is a different story. If you try to split that output(to say 2 TV's) you will get signal drop and the PQ will suffer. Audio does not seem to have a problem splitting, at least one time.
    Not sure about Ireland, but around here Y cables are only a couple bucks each, and readily available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dude ... turn tables don't have more than one left and one right. Cassette audio decks have no more than one left and one right (at least as outputs). CD players are the same. As is your DVD player and DVD recorders etc.

Stop being dumb about it.

Jesus you can't even hook your shit up and that is simple beyond all measures ... how will you ever use the DVD recorder with all those options.

What are you four years old?

Maybe you should have bought Fischer Price toys instead.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having trouble visualizing FOUR RCA connectors for two speakers, L and R. But, even so, if your system works with both R and L connected on each side (from your ElCheapo), then just get two audio Y-connector cables... female on the "leg" and male on the two "Y" branches. Connect both White leads of Y-connector to white, red to red?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fulcil, stop being such a smartarse please.
    Back of my amp like this: Four connections on CDR/MD --- two in and two out. In: left and right (red and white), out left and right (red and white). They connect with four sockets on the back of the el cheapo, audio out left and right and composite eft and right.
    Now, looking at that, perhaps I've connected more leads than needed. If so that's a genuine mistake. I'm not an electroncis expert, but don't start telling me I'm stupid. Anyone can misunderstand something, and I thought that as what forums were for, getting advice?
    I do know though that when I hooked up the Philips with just the two RCAs it was only giving sound from the one speaker. Myabe I'm doing something wrong. I'll have another look at it later.
    Thanx everyone else for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think you're trying to connect too many cables. By reading your post on the connection of your Himage, it sounds like you've sent both audio outputs (composite and component) to a set of inputs and outputs of your amp's CDR/MD connections, whatever is connected to the CDR/MD outputs is useless (not doing anything other than keeping the connectors clean !!!).

You might have just crossed wired your connections, just make sure you send the recorder's audio outputs to your amp's CDR/MD's audio inputs and leave the CDR/MD outputs empty.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to remember an old receiver that I had that had connections for banana plugs. Each connection used 2 plugs per speaker, both red and white. I put the ground wire to the red plug and the hot to the white. I soldered the other end to standard RCA jacks, for my speakers. (I had to do this for each speaker.) That sounds like what you've run into, but I haven't seen that type of setup for a long time.

Matt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tried to use google to find the Marantz PM60100SE model and I couldn't find it other than a reference on an all Chinese text Marantz website. In short I was looking for a PDF manual I could download or even a picture of the back but I couldn't find a thing.

Perhaps at this point the best thing to do would be to take a CLEAR picture of the back of the Marantz so everyone can see the connectors and then take a pic of the back of the Philips (or post a picture of the back from a website or the PDF manual).

Do that and surely someone can then point to exactly what should be connected to what.

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think what Trollheart might have, if I'm understanding it right, is a 4 channel amplifier. That would explain the 4 audio inputs. I think he alluded to 4 speakers in his OP. Obviously he will not get true 4 channel sound, since it only comes from a 2 channel device, but with the Y cables he would get sound from all 4 speakers. Does this sound possible? Trollheart do you have 4 speakers?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No jeff I don't. I think it was my naivete though. Looking at the back of the amp, to of the connectors are for audio out and two for audio in. Canuck was right: I was connecting the composites on my cheapo dvd player, which don't need to be used. Removing them still gave me stereo sound.
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I was a little tetchy, but I'm now, after a day using the Philips, fairly unimpressed by many of its shortcomings, (see thread I started entitled "Philips 3595 --- shortcomings?") and am hoping maybe to be able to return it, though as I mentioned here in ireland that's not as easy as it seems to be in the US. Here, once you take it out of the box an use it they usually won't exchange it.
    But I think I may try.
    Thx again
    TH
    Quote Quote  
  15. That model Marantz has 2 audio outputs but there are some that have 4 [what for maybe for surround sound ???]
    CrazyCannuk hit tit the problem

Trollheart

IĒve been following some of your threads, and posts. Many users have tried to help.

Could be that FulciLives was a little rough but you were asking for it. You need to LOOK at your equipment and think

No one can say that you should get this or that unit, thatís your decision. They can only state there experiences and opinions
    There were many replays to you with much info but your mind was made up and you said so
    So why ask whatís best
    Quote Quote