VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: Revised Subject line.

Hi guys, [s:47b06ec832]my first post in Blu-Ray[/s:47b06ec832]

I have several trailers that I'm having trouble with..

I'm looking for the most proper and effecient way of transfering one codec to another. The codec
    in question here is the .MOV codec. The only way I know how to transcode (convert or demux) it to
    another format is the VLC media player. I've done it before, where I would take a .MOV file and
    make an .MPG out of it. And that worked out fine for what I needed it for. Now, I'm having some
    problems because this one contains the AVC video and AAC audio. But it all plays fine in VLC and
    with no hickup that I can tell.

Is VLC not yet ready for AVC/AAC ?? And, if not, then is there another way around it, preferably
    demuxing raw.. I don't know....See specs below.

Thanks,
    -vhelp 4574

Media Info report of source .MOV file:

Code:
    General #0
    Complete name        : C:\im\boarding_gate_h480p.mov
    Format               : QuickTime
    Format/Info          : Quictime movie
    Format/Family        : MPEG-4
    File size            : 27.8 MiB
    PlayTime             : 1mn 40s
    Bit rate             : 2328 Kbps
    StreamSize           : 74.2 KiB
    Movie name           : Boarding Gate
    Movie name/More      : In theaters 2008
    Encoded date         : UTC 2008-02-20 20:18:27
    Tagged date          : UTC 2008-02-20 20:18:29
    Copyright            : © 2008 All Rights Reserved
    Comment              : Encoded and delivered by apple.com/trailers/

Video #0
    Codec                : H.264
    Codec/Info           : H.264 (3GPP)
    Bit rate             : 2197 Kbps
    Width                : 848 pixels
    Height               : 352 pixels
    Aspect ratio         : 2.409
    Frame rate           : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)   : 0.241
    StreamSize           : 26.2 MiB
    Encoded date         : UTC 2008-02-14 20:38:12

Audio #0
    Codec                : AAC LC
    Codec/Info           : AAC Low Complexity
    Bit rate             : 124 Kbps
    Bit rate mode        : CBR
    Channel(s)           : 2 channels
    Sampling rate        : 48 KHz
    Resolution           : 16 bits
    StreamSize           : 1.48 MiB
    Encoded date         : UTC 2008-02-14 20:38:13
    Quote Quote  
  2. avidemux works with the apple trailers

If you want to keep the same quality, just copy the streams, and put in .mp4 container (h.264 is not completely compatible in AVI container)

video sidebar -> copy
    audio sidebar -> copy
    format -> mp4
    press save with extension e.g. "myfile.mp4"

If you really want AVI container for whatever reason, I suggest converting the video to xvid instead of "copy", but you will lose some quality. You can sometimes "force" h.264 video into an AVI container, it may or may not work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

It seems YAMB 1.6 is able to demux .MOV files
    (and no, I do not like the .MOV container :P )
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-ray? Nope. Moving you. .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try anything, (on this computer) as long as its not .NET !!

Well, definately don't try dgavcindex on these.. it will hang your system ..only this time, I was lucky
    to get out. Well, I gotta tip to try it since it does have some support for AVC. But, these are not
    from transport streams ie, .TS sources. But I gave it a try anyway.

I'll keep trying with VLC and see what I come up with though. Thanks again,
    -vhelp 4575
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Platform: WINDOWS 98 Gold version

---

So, I D/L'ed (thanks guys) the following files:

--> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.8.0.zip?download
    --> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.8.0-AMD64.zip?download
    --> http://www.tateu.net/software/dl.php?f=qtvd_bin

---

Then, installed each one. The first one didn't work. Forget that one. But, the second one
    almost did, but gave me the nonsense you see below.

---

Well, unfortunately, I ran into some problems. The plugin doc says to put the plugin into the:

--> [plugin32] folder. But vdub (above link) does not create it. So I created it and copied the file to it.
    --> [Quicktime.vdplugin] into vdub's root directory, which I did.

Then, when I ran the virtualdub (files aboves w/ quicktime plugin) I get the following errors:

(!) vdub64.exe file expects a newer version of windows.
    (!) vdub64.exe a device attached to the system is not functioning.

I just want to scream every time I see the "..expects a newer version of windows" message in
    some of these (free) tools. It becomes ironic, in sense.

Also, there is a [frameserver64.reg] file, but that just will not install when double-clicked on. It
    gives me the error message:

(!) The specified file is not a registry script..

---

So far, things aren't working out so well for me. I've been at this all weekend, not to mention
    all the different times I tried it over the past several months. I was only now bringing it to
    the table here through this topic because I was pooped from trying to work out on my own.

I'll keep trying. Thanks again..

-vhelp 4576
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

---

AVIDemux v2.4.1 installation attempt.
    (I D/L'ed this version on 03/12/08, and finally ran it today)

Ok. This was a bomb blowing up all over the place with various kinds of pop-up erros.. too many to
    bother writting down.

This error I do recall and wrote down.. during the install, (at 66% complete) I was greeted by the
    following error message:

(x) Extract: error writing to file QtGui4.dll

Plus, plenty of other error messages, and some were double-error pop-ups and things.

---

Now on to Yamb-2.0.0.8.zip, downloading (per tools page) now..

-vhelp 4577
    Quote Quote  
  8. Your problem is that you're using Windows 98. I don't even think h.264 was around then.

I guarantee avidemux works with apple trailers (with XP)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guarantee avidemux works with apple trailers (with XP)
    You are prob right, poisondeathray. But, I can still play H264/AVC videos in Windows 98
    with no problems. But, the problem is within the developers use of tools that create installers
    and also, 'external' tools that work within their tools that depend on other resources that were
    made for higher versions of windows. So, that is part of the problem. I'm sure that these
    developers did not intentionally go out and create tools that will not work in WIN98 just like that.
    They didn't. It's all coensidental.

I could prob run these videos through all the tools on this website on my XP setup but that is
    not my plan. I also (still) do video encoding/processing on this computer. And it is sometimes
    more convenient to just do it on this machine than moving over to the XP computer.

My XP computer setup is not setup for internet. I do not want it anywhere near it. Its bad
    enough that every time my XP crashes it continues to remember them somewhere and every
    time I restart the computer the message pop up for internet access so that it can phone home
    to all those associated with the error message. Lot'a nonsense if you ask me. Foowy!

Anyway, in any event, to do the job, I'd settle with a command-line tool just the same.

-vhelp 4578
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

---

Ok. We are close. Yamb v2.0.0.8 is up and running, and even took my .MOV trailer and
    displayed its content specs and things. Looks nice. However, there is a problem!

It can't find MP4box -- what the.. -- anyway. I guess it doesn't come complete, and you
    have to do a little extra work, for it! Oh well. Let me see if I have this file somewhere on
    my HDD. Doesn't say where to put it, but my guess is that it has to go in the folder that
    yamb is in.

Will be right back..

-vhelp 4579
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm Yamb'ing at it..

So now it won't work unless I have the MSVCR80.DLL somewhere. So now I gotta go find
    this file on the internet and hope that it will on in my Windows 98 system.

Be back with a copy of MSVCR80.DLL ...

-vhelp 4580
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [SOLVED] -- Success!! -- only took 3hrs 20mins

---

I found a copy here, the file name is: msvcr80.zip

--> http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/download.php?msvcr80download0VMhUIbIiV

---

And here's the evidense..

-vhelp 4581
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [SOLVED] -- Success!! -- only took 3hrs 20mins

Still, you'd better update your bookmarks:

http://esby.free.fr/CelticDruid/mirror/mpeg4iptools/

http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html

http://kurtnoise.free.fr/Yamb/

And keep having fun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips, Midzuki, everyone, too.

You know how you've been searching, and searching, for a long time, and then when it
    happens, you don't believe it ?? Yeah. That's kind of how I feel right about now. Anyway.

I have other problems. L.O.L., you see, I thought that this tool (any of them, once I got
    them to work, that is) would demux or transcode them into an *new* AVI container, (much
    like I could do with VLC app) or one that I can open in virtualdub for further editing/filter/
    re-encoding, etc. But, to my surprise, that does not seem the case.

However, I am able to write an AVS script and using the DirectShowSource() method to
    open them and then frameserve them into virtualdub for further processing. So not all
    is lost after all

---

Maybe there is a command-line tool version to simply demux them and/or allow the .mov
    Apple's (AVC/H264) trailers to be in a new avi container. No, I don't like or use MKV.
    (matroska container) version. Anyway. I'm just thinking out loud now

---

PS: I hope you can see the image. I couldn't, on my end, and had to edit it like three times.
    Finally, I had to right-click the blank image and select [reload] option, and then it displayed,
    weard, Opera v9.24 -- I don't know.

---

I'm going to try a couple more movie trailers that I D/L'ed previously, and see how they come
    out with Yamb v2.0.0.8 and if they come out ok (using the above scenario I mentioned) I
    might start work in yet another project, where I had this idea about snipping Apple's movie
    trailers with the aid of a utility I was thinking about writing. Then, later, I would run them
    all through Yamb and AVS script and do what I was visioning on about. Ahh, its just a stupid
    idea anyway.

---

Thanks to everyone for putting up with me in my trials.

-vhelp 4582
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had downloaded some trailers including the same one (Asia Argento is my babe).

Using Linux and AviDemux I tried to save it to a MP4 file without changing anything. I couldn't get mplayer nor xine to play it. VLC played it but it was stuttered like when you have the field order wrong on an interlaced source (only this source is progressive).

All three players play back the original MOV just fine.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives, yeah, I think this girl was the one in one of the The Borne Identity
    movies I watched last weekend. If it is her, I fell instantly in love with her. She's cute
    and a doll to look at. When I saw the trailer and (what I thought was) her, I wasn't
    sure. I'm still not. Anyway

As you can see from the above, I met up with success. Maybe you can give that a shot.
    However, it is my opinion that whomever processed this .mov F'ed up. I mean, the frames
    are blurred and so on. It could be that it is a difficult AVC/H264 source, or something else!

I'm currently testing another clip (.mov) that I D/L'ed from Apple, and I'll know more when
    I have my results. Until then..

-vhelp 4583
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Confirmed!!

It's the .mov from Apple's website. Looks like I was correct. Someone was either picking their
    nose or their aRsS when they processed this source. I just the Get Smart trailer, (with Yamb,
    [can't help it] but thanks again to Mudzuki) and it came out flawlessly and clean. All frames
    are progressive. I think it's a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. However, this movie trailer is a bit on the
    bright side.. too bright. But still looks nice! The guy from the 40 Year Old Virgin is staring as Max.

Trailers always have a way of making things look so interesting -- ..hooo, I can't wait, I"m gonna
    check it out..

-vhelp 4584
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again vhelp.
    Speaking of the AVI container, MKVextractGUI (and YAMB too, IIRC)
    can wrap a h264 stream in an AVI file. BUT the resulting video may be "not-very-playable",
    so to speak. So far all my AVI-wrapped AVCs && VC-1s have been running fine
    in MPC, but maybe it's only because I've been very-lucky lately
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP) so it should work on your computer with no problems.

Not sure why you are using Windows 98 though if you have Windows XP. Windows 98 is not a multimedia operating system (unlike 98SE which is) and working with H264 files will produce files much larger than FAT 16 can support.

The second file I linked to is for the 64bit AMD version which is why you get all the error messages. It's not for 32bit operating systems.

You don't need to create a plugins 32 folder although you can. The plugin will work if you put it in the plugins folder. You need to put the Quicktime.ini file in the Virtualdub Root folder (not the Quicktime.vdplugin which goes in the plugins folder).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VHELP and his obsession over Win98 strikes again LOL

I had a PII 266Mhz with 256MB RAM that came installed with Win98 (it was a Sony VAIO computer) and when I installed WinXP Pro SP1 on it ... it actually ran better with less "blue screens of death" etc.

We all have our "good" and "bad" sides around here (us old timers) and this is just another example of VHELP's "bad" side ... insisting to use Win98 even though he has a new(er) computer with WinXP or Vista (I forget now).

VHELP knows I'm just saying all this to clarify things in case anyone reading this wonders why the hell he is using Win98 ... it's just his "thing" LOL

Who loves ya VHELP 8)

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I put my HP back together with my ATI AIW and I had been using 98SE up until around October but got tired of all the crashes and put Windows 2000 in it. My excuse for keeping 98SE was that it played games but I'm not a gamer so there was really no reason to hang on for so long.

I'm kinda in the same boat now with Windows 2000 in that newer video cards don't support Windows 2000 and my new motherboard isn't really made for Windows 2000 but the freedom I have with this operating system keeps me hanging on as long as I can. I don't want to upgrade to an OS like XP or Vista that takes away all my freedoms until I have absolutely no other choice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys..

I'm sorry.., but just to clarify and correct myself..

FulciLives wrote:

I had downloaded some trailers including the same one (Asia Argento is my babe).
    Oops, I was wrong. She did not play in the movie, "The Bourne Identity and Supremacy".
    Actually, that was Franka Potente and I fell for her, too ..that aired two weeks ago.

Anyway, and coensidentally, I also fell for Asia Argento , too, when I cought the first few
    minutes of "xXx". She was some looker in that scene, and it was instant w/ her, too.

But I guess they can both look alike if you're not on your toes.

---

Actually, I thought I was pretty clear about my WIN98 purposes

Ok. To clarify.. Mainly, I have now an XP Home computer system that I built back in March
    of last year, I think. Anyway. And its main purpose was strickly to be my new vhelp Video
    Workstation, where I process video of all sorts and have a blast at it with my newer horse
    power machine. Well, not so much horse power after all,but it still gets the job done, and in
    many more ways then so on. It was also because I wanted to do HD/HDTV capturing, and the
    equipment (USB-2 stuff) software/driver were requiring (in some cases, even) XP. So, that
    was another reason to upgrade.

I began my first bouts with my new XP by using Hauppaug's WinTV-HVR1600, but that proved
    a failure in this setup. Too many problems with it's HD (mpeg-2) decoder and other nonsense.
    So, I yanked it out and replaced it with my Pinnacle PCTV Pro hd stick, and had to this day
    flawless playback on this system witn 720p *AND* 1080i videos. Thus, I never looked back!

My over-the-hill WIN98 pc (non-SE) is what I mainly use as my office pc. It used to be my video
    workstation. But, after countless let downs with software (and capture equip) that are more
    geard towards w2k/xp and onward, I felt it was time to bite that old bullet and upgrade. So, I did.
    Now, I still use this (now, office) pc for interneting and other things, but I still do a lot of video
    processing -- I have a KVM switch for easy access between the two pc's -- because I am
    connected to the internet, sometimes I like to run quick theories or test trials of new software or
    versions, etc. Occasionally, I get let down when I find the software does not work for my aging
    work house, windows 98 system.

---

To get back on topic..

So far, I am loving this routine. Its fairly quick. But, I also have a stuborness directly using
    AVIsynth scripts under certain cercumstances. I just gotta do everything in virtualdub. But
    anyway. After I transcode the Apple (.mov) trailers using Yamb v2.0.0.8 I quickly create a
    pseudo avi source file and then open it in virtualdub for quick WYSIWYG processes. And if
    need be, I can always do the direct avisynth thing afterwards anyway. You know how it goes.

-vhelp 4585
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    Is VLC not yet ready for AVC/AAC ?? And, if not, then is there another way around it, preferably
    demuxing raw.. I don't know....See specs below.
    should work in several ways.
    i prefer working more directly with ffmpeg.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    You can sometimes "force" h.264 video into an AVI container, it may or may not work.
    what ever for?

Well, definately don't try dgavcindex on these..
    not directly, but it's the right tool

Originally Posted by DarrellS
    Virtualdub 1.8.0 with the Quicktime plugin.
    yeah,
    just given DS input filter a spin

My XP computer setup is not setup for internet. I do not want it anywhere near it. Its bad
    enough that every time my XP crashes it continues to remember them somewhere and every
    time I restart the computer the message pop up for internet access so that it can phone home
    to all those associated with the error message. Lot'a nonsense if you ask me. Foowy!
    try vista :P

However, I am able to write an AVS script and using the DirectShowSource() method to
    open them and then frameserve them into virtualdub for further processing.
    could have been step 1...

Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Speaking of the AVI container, MKVextractGUI (and YAMB too, IIRC)
    can wrap a h264 stream in an AVI file.
    i don't see how

FulciLives, yeah, I think this girl was the one in one of the The Borne Identity
    movies I watched last weekend.
    no

Originally Posted by FulciLives
    (Asia Argento is my babe).
    taken!

tripp
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Midzuki should (not) have written:

Speaking of the AVI container, MKVextractGUI [s:ee2c0c5aa1](and YAMB too, IIRC)[/s:ee2c0c5aa1]
    can wrap a [s:ee2c0c5aa1]h264[/s:ee2c0c5aa1] vc-1 stream in an AVI file.
    Code:
    avc2avi
    Syntax: avc2avi [options] [ -i input.h264 ] [ -o output.avi ]

-h, --help                  Print this help

-i, --input                 Specify input file (default: stdin)
      -o, --output                Specify output file (default: stdout)

-f, --fps <float>           Set FPS (default: 25.0)
      -c, --codec <string>        Set the codec fourcc (default: 'h264')
    Enough misinformation for this day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Off topic (to an extent) but for the "full" Asia Argento experience you have to see SCARLET DIVA and THE HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS. You will appreciate her in a whole new "light". Trust me

Asia Argento is the daughter of the famous Italian horror film director Dario Argento (perhaps best known for SUSPIRIA and PROFONDO ROSSO aka DEEP RED). As a young child she appeared in two horror films that her father produced (but did not direct). She was in Lamberto Bava's DEMONS 2 and Michele Soavi's THE CHURCH.

Apparently she has a rather "strained" relationship with her father and mother (Italian actress Daria Nicolodi) based on various interviews I have read. Dario cast her in his film TRAUMA where he shows her topless although she was really only about 16 or 17 and playing a 14 or so year old in the film. Then in another film he directed that came slightly later called THE STENDHAL SYNDROME he has a serial killer rape the shit out of her. The odd thing is that Dario Argento has tended to shy away from explicit sexuality in his films except for when it comes to his daughter. Very weird especially when you consider some of the comments she has made in interviews and the fact that she ran away from home when she was a young teenager.

She recently acted in another of her father's films ... THE THIRD MOTHER aka MOTHER OF TEARS ... but I've yet to see it. I have a *cough* version of it *cough* but I'm waiting for a proper release. The film is the third and final in Dario Argento's "mother's trilogy" started in 1977 with SUSPIRIA and continued in 1980 with INFERNO. It looked like he was never going to finish the trilogy but he recently made the third film (which opened late last year in Italin cinemas) but it got very mixed reviews in Italy and a world wide English language release has yet to happen (although it is in the works and should hit the USA this year sometime).

Sorry to "go on" about this but horror is "my thing" and Dario Argento is one of the greats although ever since the 1990's he seems to have "lost it" to an extent. He has made some real stinkers since then but he had a very nearly perfect streak of movies through out the 70's and 80's culminating in his last great film in 1986 called OPERA aka TERROR AT THE OPERA which should NOT be confused with his disastrous (and worst film to date) called PHANTOM OF THE OPERA which was made in 1998 and ... you guessed it ... starred Asia Argento.

P.S.
    Most fans consider PROFONDO ROSSO aka DEEP RED (1975) and SUSPIRIA (1977) as Argento's best two films and both are masterpieces which fans "fight over" as to which is THE masterpiece. GO RENT THEM NOW although don't expect Asia Argento in them ... she was born in 1975.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Weird, but fun thread...

But I must note. H.264 in an AVI container is an abomination. The aging AVI is not able to handle modern codecs with their B-frame insanities, B-pyramids, etc. It simply wasn't designed to "see that far" with multiple reference frames and, as a result, won't be nearly as efficient as MKV, MP4 or as transport streams would.

Midzuki, maybe your H.264 streams are Baseline with watered down features, which may be why you're just "lucky".
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives wrote:
    VHELP and his obsession over Win98 strikes again LOL
    yeah, only this time, its now on my XP system, and all the above steps are NOT working
    Actually, the methods discussed ealier above are no longer working on my WIN98 computer.
    So, now both systems can't process apples .mov trailers anymore. However, I found another
    method, and it works, and the finishing tool (after the movies AVC/VC-1/h264 is transcoded
    out of the .mov continer) can be used DGAVCindex, flawlessly.. so far.

-vhelp 4724
    Quote Quote