VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is the new 30p feature found on the HV30 - the major functional difference between it and the older HV20. Looks pretty good.

http://vimeo.com/777514
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone trying to decide buying the HV20 or HV30........this 30p shooting mode will make it a no brainer. I've had 30p on two of my old Panasonics. It's great except for high speed action and sports, which is about 90% of what I shoot. I already own an HV20, so it's not enough to entice me to upgrade. If it could shoot 60p, it'd already be in my camera bag. Maybe next years HV40 will have the 60p shooting mode.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey...did they ever put a LANC on that beast?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No LANC, just a remote with zoom and basic controls. Also, it's still using tapes for HDV as on the HV20. But the visual quality is stunning, especially for a <$1000 camera. The Mpeg2 transport streams it creates are certainly easier to edit than AVCHD. They're on sale at Best Buy for $925. I'm tempted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah man...I'm spoiled with my LANC and tripod setup...to setup literally in the field and get studio-like shots...I'm dreaming

I think I remember this was a deal breaker for me with the HV20...no LANC and the fact it was around $300 over my budget

HV30 sounds tasty...I recommend getting warranties for this high-tech stuff...what's another hundred bucks?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    No LANC, just a remote with zoom and basic controls. Also, it's still using tapes for HDV as on the HV20. But the visual quality is stunning, especially for a <$1000 camera. The Mpeg2 transport streams it creates are certainly easier to edit than AVCHD. They're on sale at Best Buy for $925. I'm tempted.
    why worstbuy? don't you think it's cheaper to buy it online +Tax free,and shipping($869.69 at amazon)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    US1CAMERA.COM has the HV30 for $785.99 and TAX and free shipping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    US1CAMERA.COM is a scam with many alias business names, like most other "too good to be true" prices for cameras and video equipment. Only a dummy would buy from there. You'll end up getting a non-USA (no warranty) incomplete piece of crap. Another shady New York sham operation.

If you want to buy a camera online, use www.bhphotovideo.com or www.adorama.com -- the going price on the HV30 is $899. Anything less than maybe $869 is going to be bullshit. If it's lower than B&H, it's probably a scam.

I'm considering the HV30 for later this year. Looked at this thread hoping to see some good/bad review info.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    better buy a nice tripod...HDV handheld looks like crap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed. And there's only so much you can deshake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ever shoot on a monopod?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunately...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I shot this footage this weekend on my new Manfrotto tripod with fluid head and my HV20:

http://www.vimeo.com/919313

P.S. that's my boy doing the great diving catch.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that's a fine catch by your son
    one hand operates the zoom while the other pans with the handle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used a monopod. It helps with still camera shots, but it doesn't eliminate all of the shakes for video cameras. Wish it did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used monopods for still photography with my DSLR's. It works well in those environments. I now use lenses with image stabilizers on my Canon XTi. My zoom lense (70-300) has a 2-mode stabilizer. One for still composures and one for panning. They works very well for my sports photography.

I made this contraption a couple of years ago for shooting sports footage. I made out of an old tailor hitch in my garage. Despite how it looks, it is quite effective:

Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by zoobie
    Are there any quality issues shooting handheld on the HV20 or 30 in SD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, be careful buying on-line. I had great success buying on-line. I bought two Sony cameras and the HV20 from dbuys.com with no problems. The HV30 is $899.00 on dbuys.com.
    Quote Quote  
  19. HV30 is US$850 at Amazon.com. Free shipping. Expected to be in stock Apr 30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stantheman1976
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    Are there any quality issues shooting handheld on the HV20 or 30 in SD?
    The HV20 (and probably HV30) does not shoot progressive at standard definition. They shoot 720x480i standard DV format.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    For PAL users there is not much difference between HV30 and HV20 then (except for a different colour)? We have 25P and 50i on the HV20 already. (I do not plan on buying HV30 anyway, I already own the HV20).

To be honest I have not found any real use of the 25P mode. I prefer 50i because of more fluid motion and if I want progressive video then I bob it to 50 fps with avisynth. It would have been better if the camera had built in 50P mode at a lower resolution like 960x720 (HDV bitrate is too low for 1080P 50 fps). I am no fan of stuttering motion so I can understand that 30P is a little bit better than 24P or 25P.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ronnylov
    For PAL users there is not much difference between HV30 and HV20 then (except for a different colour)? We have 25P and 50i on the HV20 already. (I do not plan on buying HV30 anyway, I already own the HV20).

To be honest I have not found any real use of the 25P mode. I prefer 50i because of more fluid motion and if I want progressive video then I bob it to 50 fps with avisynth. It would have been better if the camera had built in 50P mode at a lower resolution like 960x720 (HDV bitrate is too low for 1080P 50 fps). I am no fan of stuttering motion so I can understand that 30P is a little bit better than 24P or 25P.
    I do exactly the same with interlace 480i and 1080i although I use Cineform for deinterlace to 59.94p. I agree that 50p/59.94p at lower resolution is the more desirable solution. This is offered by the DVCProHD format at 960x720p/59.94 or 1280x720p/50. I think this would be ideal for home camcorders when prices can come down.

Unfortunately consumer marketing pushes 1080p resolution with slow frame rates and low bit rates as the ultimate when the opposite is true. If anything needs to "give" it is resolution. HDV 1440x1080i at 25/29.97 is a good compromise but 1280x720p at 50/59.94 makes more sense tor typical camcorder use. It may be a tough sell to consumers.
    Quote Quote  
  23. No, what they really need to do is get rid of 3.5 MB/s DV tape and use something faster so they can do 1080p60. Why do we have to live with this ancient tape format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    No, what they really need to do is get rid of 3.5 MB/s DV tape and use something faster so they can do 1080p60. Why do we have to live with this ancient tape format?
    That would come next but at "pro" prices. AVCIntra format anticipates 1080p/60 but probably starting well above $50K. We are talking consumer-prosumer here with prices under $3K.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    No, what they really need to do is get rid of 3.5 MB/s DV tape and use something faster so they can do 1080p60. Why do we have to live with this ancient tape format?
    The tape doesn't limit bit rate. DVCProHD uses 100Mb/s (12.5MB/s) and that could go higher. AVCIntra will do 1920x1080p/59.94 at 100Mb/s. Flash RAM can manage that rate in parallel but needs to increase capacity and reduce cost to be a practical alternative to tape. Hard drives are fast enough and have enough capacity but are a power hog on battery.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HV30 $799. @ B & H
    Great service, and delivery was on time to hawaii got to love that. Just an note I bought mine 1 1/2 weeks ago for $899 and noticed the next week was cheaper called and in less then 10 min they authorized a credit back of $100
    GOOD COMPANY
    HV30+Wide Angle HD Lens, Rode Stereo Mic, Manfrotto Tripod System, Canon ZR 850
    Quote Quote