VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone. just joined up. I am new the entire video editing world, so please be patient with me. LOL. I have been looking for ways to do something that I felt would be pretty common, but am learning it is not so common.

So here goes. I have purchased some dvd format music videos. There are sometimes up to 50 different music videos on these discs. I am looking for a way to be able to break these down into individual videos that I can later put on my Ipod. I am not properly versed in all the lingo, but I will try to explain it the best I can. The current dvds do not have chapters per say. But if I hit the next button, it will go the next video, so to me, there is some sort of separation there already. Don't know if you would call that chapters or not. Is there a program out there that can recognize these separations, and cut up the dvd into individual videos? If not, how can I go about doing so?

I would like to be able to break these down into individual videos because I would be able to pick and choose which ones I want on my Ipod. And also, I would be able to sort and play these in a much better format without having to remember what dvd a perticular song was on.

If this was just one or two dvds, I would just convert them all to mpeg 4 and throw them on my Ipod, but I currently have 30 of these dvds, and like I said, some have up to 50 different music videos on them.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can start breaking them up with the free virtualdub-mpeg2
    maybe convert them with super
    welcome
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD decrypter will allow you to rip by chapter (if you can skip from track to track using the next key then you have chapters, even if you don't have a chapter menu) and then convert with videora or winff.

But . . . . . with your old PC, they will take a long time to convert. You will also have to do them disc at a time or buy some more HDD space.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Blowndakrt: Please use a subject that describes your problem. I've changed it for you this once.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    you can start breaking them up with the free virtualdub-mpeg2
    maybe convert them with super
    welcome
    Will the virtualdub-mpeg2 work with VOB files? I have noticed that when I tried to burn a copy it shows them as VOB files. Like I said, not that savy when it comes to this sort of thing, so not sure what it is I need to be looking for.

Thanks

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    DVD decrypter will allow you to rip by chapter (if you can skip from track to track using the next key then you have chapters, even if you don't have a chapter menu) and then convert with videora or winff.

But . . . . . with your old PC, they will take a long time to convert. You will also have to do them disc at a time or buy some more HDD space.
    I have dvd decrypter. How do I set it so it will break it down by chapters? I have burned a copy of one of these dvds, but i used dvd decrypter and then dvd shrink.

Another weird thing I have noticed on these DVDs, they have a menu when you as one of the files when you burn it, but this menu doesn't show up when you play the dvd in either the original or burnt copy. Do I have to keep that menu when I break down these videos?

I also have a 500Gig external hard drive that I can use to store most of these files. I usually use my laptop to burn dvds because I can just let it run and use my home pc for the other stuff I do on a day to day basis.

Thanks

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    @Blowndakrt: Please use a subject that describes your problem. I've changed it for you this once.

/Mats
    Thanks and sorry about that. Most of the forums I frequent want you to do an introduction as a newbie and then state your problem in the post, not the thread title.

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Blowndakrt
    Thanks and sorry about that. Most of the forums I frequent want you to do an introduction as a newbie and then state your problem in the post, not the thread title.
    NP. IMO, stating your problem in the subject is more important than the fact you're a newbie.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We can usually tell you're a newbie because when you post, it tells when you joined and usually newbies ask a question that can be answered on their own with a simple search of the "How To Section" because most questions have been asked and answered before and most newbies don't bother to search before asking.
    Quote Quote