VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Input string was not in a correct format (Input subtitle file error on line 1)

This srt.file is made by a friend of my and he ask me to check the srt.file on wrong counting and open lines etc. etc.
    But I have serious problems to open the file?

I can't find out what's wrong about the first line this time I aslo cannot open the srt.file in Subtitleworkshop or
    other program's like Subtitle creator or DVD-LabPro
    Strange enough I fixed this kind of error's already a couple of times for other people but this time I got no answere?

Maybe somebody overhere can help me to found out about this error.

kopie van engels.rar - 0.02MB

Thank's in advance for helping me out.

Regards, Webgirl
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try this one:

modified srt
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Webgirl,

Something is definitely wrong with that file. I finally opened if with Jubler as UTF-16 and then re-saved it (UTF8) as a .srt file. It opens just fine after that. I PM'd you and left you a link to the altered file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something is definitely wrong with that file. I finally opened if with Jubler as UTF-16
    and then re-saved it (UTF8) as a .srt file. It opens just fine after that. I PM'd you
    and left you a link to the altered file.

That's a kick in the right direction thank you rumplestiltskin for youre explanation.
    I never heard of this litle tiny application before.

After I try'd my self I still discover some problems because the whole srt.file is 2.002 lines and after
    use Jubler I only have left over 1.109 lines?

Mmmmm Yes Something is definitely wrong with this srt.file maybe wanna give it one more change
    on the whole srt.file I just send it to you via P.M.

Best träskmannen Youre srt.file works also fine, but since I don't know what program u use I would like
    to ask you also to take a look to the whole file,
    so I also P.M. the file to you.

After this problem is fixed I would like to start with edit and controle the srt file so I hope one you can help me out.

rumplestiltskin and träskmannen a big hug for you both and, it seems that I can learn something overhere!!
    Strange enough I did already many succesfull custom DVD subtitlitle jobs, but never seen this problem before.

regards, Webgirl

[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "Kopie van Engels.srt" is a 100%-pure Unicode-text file.
    If you open it in a hex editor you will see its first two characters
    are "˙ž". Notepad can be used for converting Unicode to ANSI.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Webgirl,

When I had Jubler open that file as UTF8, it was all wrong. I re-opened it as UTF16 and everything now appeared properly. I saved it as UTF8 in the ".srt" format and re-opened it (as UTF8) to make sure everything was now correct. (File is attached.)

I'm guessing that whatever was used to generate the subtitle file was set to UTF16 format and it may be that whatever you are using to utilize that subtitle file in your movie (whether authoring as a DVD with available subs or for embedding into an AVI or MP4, etc.) just doesn't like UTF16.

Let me know if this helps!

BTW - I love Amsterdam! I'd like to retire there on a boat.

edit: URL removed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Notepad can be used for converting Unicode to ANSI.

Pfffff Thanks Midzuki you hit the right spot, now it's working fine!!!!!

rumplestiltskin Youre new try-out is still the same only got 1110 lines left over
    Anyway I'm on the move now after saved it into ANSI
    "stupid me that I not think about that before"
    I'm still very happy that you notice me about Jubler

So you like Amsterdam rumplestiltskin? let me guess wat you more like's about it :P
    Please dear rumplestiltskin can you remove the attachment from youre message
    because on of my best friend's invest 'much' yes much time on the translation of
    this movie. I ask this because many people ask on differend fora already for the
    translation of this movie.
    So the release have to stay a litle secret untill the movie is ready.

Thank's to all of you guy's that ar involved in this case

Big hug from Webgirl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Webgirl,

Link removed per request.

I stayed at the Hotel Krasnapolski (spelling?) back in '69. Went to the nightclub Paradiso. Lots of smoke in the air...

Hope to get back to Amsterdam next year. Glad this project is working out for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stayed at the Hotel Krasnapolski (spelling?) back in '69. Went to the nightclub Paradiso. Lots of smoke in the air...
    Paradiso is sucha great place to party I did some party's in the late 80's begin 90's overthere, 'nice atmosphere'

b.t.w. the spelling for the Krasnapolski hotel is right

Okay back on-topic:
    Meanwhile I made an AVI copy of the DVD and load it into Subtitle-workshop I re-timed the whole srt.file
    already. (The time-stamp was created on a Thai subtitle) but strange enough I have to re-timed them about
    3 minut's back this time. Normally whe don't have that big differend's between the time setting from a Thai
    subtitle, ngaaaa anyway it's perfect timed now.

Next thing,
    I'm busy now to check the Thai language and compare that with the English subtext,
    wrighted by a clubM8 also from USA. I'm good in Thai and my clubM8 is good in English so that's why
    whe do this kind of project's together.
    I think it gonna take 2 more day's to compare and make some change's
    After that I'm going to make a pré copy of the movie onto DVD to check if the time-setting is correct.
    I'll do this because of I have some bad expiriment's with Subtitleworkshop sometimes I found a time-differend
    from 200/300 millisecond's after I creat it on DVD.

Okay that's the story untill here.

regards to you all from Webgirl
    Quote Quote