VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm trying to add new subtitles to a dvd.

I was wondering if there is a way to find out the font, size, colors, styling, outline... of the original subtitles?

I think the color part is the easiest, and I tried to copy the color using the Open palette option in SubtitleCreator but the outline color wasn't the same as on the original subtitles so the new ones turned out to be really hard to read...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jujuandhuhu
    the outline color wasn't the same as on the original subtitles so the new ones turned out to be really hard to read.
    Use DVDsubedit to change colours.
    You can change each of the 3 or 4 colours used separately (fill, outline, background).
    You can edit individual subs, then do "Edit/Apply last change to all".
    Quote Quote  
  3. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try to use WhatTheFont to determine which font was used.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But, if I understand correctly, there is no way to find out the complete formating of the original subtitles?
    For example by converting them into text?
    Quote Quote  
  5. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not really. The subtitles are stored as images. It is not possible to convert them to text, what you can do is to OCR them to text (Optical Character Recognition). That means that the software you use tries to identify letters in the images (=subtitles) and what you get is unformatted, raw text.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jujuandhuhu
    But, if I understand correctly, there is no way to find out the complete formating of the original subtitles?
    For example by converting them into text?
    No, as träskmannen says, that will just give you an ASCII file.

Make some screencaps and crop to the subtitle and try WhatTheFont. It's often right.
    There is also a forum you can appeal to there if the automatic recognition fails.

Far too many subtitles just use Arial or ArialNarrow, awful as they are.
    I think just because they start with A and become the default.

There is a lot of info about subtitling fonts at http://screenfont.ca/
    I mostly use either Verdana or Lucida Fax.
    Quote Quote