VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a avi file with some out of sync audio and I used virtual dub to seperate the audio file from the video file.Now I have this audio file and I want to sync it back up with the video.How do I do this with virtual dub?

Thanks
    Sean
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) File -> Open AVI File, open original AVI
    2) Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    3) Audio -> Audio from other file, select new audio
    4) Audio -> Interleaving... adjust skew (delay or advance the audio relative to the video)
    5) Audio -> Compression... if necessary
    6) File -> Save as AVI

That will work if the audio is off by a constant amount over the whole video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JAG,thanks but I tried it and I didnt understand it.

Sean
    Quote Quote  
  4. What exactly is your audio sync problem?

If the audio is off by a constant a mount over the entire video, for example the audio is 1 second late all the time, then you can simply adjust the skew to make it match. You would set the skew value to -1000 (1000 milliseconds = 1 second) to advance the audio by 1 second.

If the audio starts out in sync, and slowly gets more and more out of sync as the video progresses, you need to adjust the length of the audio and/or the video so that the two match. For example, if the audio ends 10 seconds before the video you need to make the audio 10 seconds longer. You can do this with a program like Audacity. Once you have the longer audio you can add it to the original video as indicated earlier.

If the audio has random variations relative to the video you have a very big project ahead of you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys I tried to do the virtual dub thing and I just cant get it seemed up.In the avi file,the begining works great but as the movie goes own the dubbing gets out of sync.Is there a program that can automatically get the dubbing back on track?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Then it sounds like the audio and video are different lengths and you can follow the second method jagabo mentions. Check the lengths of both audio and video and see if a difference shows. Both methods he mentioned are fairly easy.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What version of Virtualdub are you using? The new versions will handle VBR mp3 so you may not need to fix the audio first. If you do have to, Goldwave isn't free but it's alot easier to fix sync problems with than Audacity.

Open the AVI in Virtualdub and move the slider to the end of the file to see what the running time of the movie is.

Open the AVI (or use the wave file you saved with Virtualdub) in Goldwave > Under Effects, choose Time Warp and set the time of the audio to match the running time of the AVI > Save as 16bit WAVE or 44Hz MP3.

Under Audio in Virtualdub, choose Audio from other file and choose the file that you saved with Goldwave. If you saved a Wave file then you'll need to choose an audio compression. If you saved an MP3 then you can direct stream copy both the audio and the video.
    Quote Quote