VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Iam sending back my Toshiba SD-370E as on odd occasion it freezes for a fraction of a second and has lost sound twice in two weeks ive had it - this seems to happen mostly on DivX files....

Can anyone recommend a budget DivX HDMI 1080p upconverting DVD Player?

I was going to get the PHILIPS DVP5980 for 50 as my dad says it ranked no.2 in which magazines top 50

too me features arent important, what i want is:-

Excellent Upconversion of SD to HD
    DivX Playback
    USB slot (optional)

unless anyone can convince me otherwise i think the DVP5980 is the one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q7ZCO6/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Oppo's, http://oppodigital.com , players are considered the best by most. But they cost US$170 or more. The philips players like the 5960 (1080i) and 5982 (1080p) are pretty good. Some people like the Pioneer DV-400V-K.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Oppo's (http://oppodigital.com) players are considered the best by most. But they cost US$180 or more. The philips players like the 5960 (1080i) and 5982 (1080p) are pretty good. Some people like the Pioneer DV-400V-K.
    what is difference between the Philips DVP5980 (that i want) and the DVP5982 (I cant get in UK)...?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Probably just where it's sold.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Could it be that your Toshiba is just fine, and that there is a problem with the divx files? I have an Oppo, and even it will get confused by a badly corrupted file, although it usually ploughs through anything.
    Quote Quote  
  6. no, the DIvX files are fine have tested them on laptop, PC and other DivX DVD player - its just done it tonight on another DivX file - also when it does it the sound is out of sync for the rest of video by the amount of time it froze/skipped.... it actually done it 3 times tonight.

its doing to frequent now - nearly every divX file i play its doing it on... the SD370-E is starting to get a bad reputation for it now - over 60% of reviews i read say the same... look on Amazon
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked the Toshiba site for the latest firmware? Try that before you return the player. Toshiba usually has a very good rep.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For upconverting I bought a Toshiba HD-A3,it's an HD player but I will use it for upconverting SD DVD's. I paid $83.00 and works very well indeed. It's a well built qaulity player. Different models are being closed out at $100 or less.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by wulf109
    For upconverting I bought a Toshiba HD-A3,it's an HD player but I will use it for upconverting SD DVD's. I paid $83.00 and works very well indeed. It's a well built qaulity player. Different models are being closed out at $100 or less.
    But they don't play Divx.
    Quote Quote