VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still having problems choosing. Trouble is, every time I settle on one, I find out something about it that alarms me. Now, naturally no DVDR is going to be perfect, but I was more than a little surprised/annoyed to find that the new batch of Panasonics don't record or even apparently play DVD-RAMs! Did Panasonic not more or less single-handedly drive the DVD-RAM trade in the last ten years or so? Why then are they now building machines that won't even recognise the discs? I found DVD-RAMs to be great: perfect quality every time, erasable and also you can dub onto them really fast (like, three hour-long TV prgs in about 20 mins) using the High-Speed Dub option. They were also great for holding onto progs you wanted to watch, but hadn't had time to, when the HDD was full or near full or when, like my current machine at the moment, you feared a crash any day, thus losing all your progs.

OK, so rant over. But it has put me off getting another Panasonic. I looked at Toshiba, but heard bad reviews of them (RD97-DT) and also the Samsung DVD SH855, but again there were minuses.

I'd really like advice as to what I should get, if anyone has any input. I know everyone's talking about the Philips 3575, and maybe its just me, but I really don't llike Philips. Should I change my mind?

Anyway, any help appreciated. This is going to be my machine for the next few years, and I don't want to make the wrong choice. Editing progs, dubbing onto disc, timeslip all important, as well as a decent HDD (though my own has only a 40 GB and today's all seem to start from 160, so that shouldn't really be an issue).

Thx
    TH
    BTW I'm not a video/DVDphile (?), not overly concerned about "crisp colour", "shades" or other nitpicky things (to me): I jsut want a machine I can record progs on, watch edit and dub.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Oh yeah: price about EUR 300 or so...
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The number of people who prefer DVD-RAM is miniscule. Easy features to delete without significantly reducing sales volume.

Research reviewers. Many professional and amateur reviewers on the net are IDIOTS. They lack understanding of the equipment, haven't read the manual, or haven't actually had enough time with the equipment to make a valid judgment. Or they've read another IDIOT's review and are plagarizing.

Different manufacturer's choose different default settings and reviewers often mistake the default settings for the capability of the unit. They lack the knowledge and the vocabulary to properly set the parameters for the equipment becuase the manuals are so poor and the makers of the equipment differ on the best way to perform the task at hand.

If you can;t get access to enough info to make your own judgement find a reviewer who's opinion you can trust. A hard job unless you have owned some other piece of equipment he has reviewed.

Most major manufacturers have their manuals on line. Dowload, read, interpret. It ain;t easy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The aspect of this that always amuses ME is that you have to take into consideration the following:-

1: Why does one person sit in front of a computer and it works fine.
    Within an hour another person will have crashed it.

Reason: Many fold but firstly, operator error, secondly, bad karma (They wear more nylon than most people so carry static).

All this is hard to believe but I have done IT installations and training for 30 years, there are people who should not have children/drive cars/use electronics.

They do and 9 times out of ten blame the equipment, when in fact the equipment is only to blame 10% of the time if that.

What does this all mean to your quest, get a machine you can easilly return, and even get a extended warranty.

If you are at all techno savvy, get one off a local seller on Ebay, I've had good luck.

Don't let it operate in a hot/dusty environment, ensure cleanilness in the work area, eg: no stcky fingers on the discs.

I've had cheap brands and expensive brands last a long time.

I like Toshiba for friendliness and good quality, Panasonic seem to be built better (as are Pioneer), always have had an anti-Sony thing. JVC/Philips/Samsung et al seem to be good and bad.

So thats my long rant.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with Euro Panny's, but I just can't believe Panasonic would have dropped RAM? Like you said they basically developed it. Note I personally never use RAM, but I know many people who swear by them, and wouldn't buy a machine without it. Do you have a link showing a Panny w/o RAM compatibility? All current US EZ Panny's record to RAM, but like I said I'm not familiar with Euro Panny's.

And on the 3575 Philips, I've personally owned one and would say go ahead and get it. I also had reservations about the 'Philips" name. I think they really got it right with the 3575, and your Euro version even has better features than our Yank version. Although I believe even your's does not have RAM compatibility.

Here's a recent link about new Euro Panny's, but they don't mention RAM compatibility.
    http://whathifi.com/home-cinema/archive/2008/02/13/news-panasonic-promises-blu-ray-rec...-for-2008.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well, one example of a Panny without RAM (at least, they dont mention that it records to or plays RAM)

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/553761/art/panasonic/dmr-ez27eb-dvd-player-rec.html#fichetechnique

and another

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/551931/art/panasonic/dmr-ex77-dvd-player-recor.html#fichetechnique

I know, I thought it was weird too, but if they DO play DVD-RAM, why don't they say so?

As to the Philips, I'll research it a bit more: perhaps it's time to give them a chance...

Thx guys!
    TH
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trollheart-I would guess on your 2 links it's just a omission on their part. Still unless RAM is a must for you, I'd seriously look at the Philips 3575.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now HERE's a thing! My local shop (Power City) has the 250 GB version of the 3575 (3595) for EUR 280! Is that not a bargain? It's only a tenner more than the 160 Gig 3575. Should I snap thier hand off, d'ya think?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know anything about the 3595 but I have several U.S. 3575s and highly recommend them.

Don't know if you ever buy online, but that EU280 price seems very high since ciao.com.uk shows a page of sellers with the HIGHEST price EU229!? ... maybe spit in their hand instead?

Maybe you can find some reviews in a local site there for performance, etc.?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx man, but that's Sterling (£) not Euro (€) --- big difference.
    I think the Power City price is still the best I can get....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am also looking at replacing my DVD recorder (Panny DMR-E85H) - the old one works fine but is showing its age, and will be pensioned off to become the machine in the spare room replacing an older Mustek R100A one that has died. Thing is, we finally get HD terrestrial TV here next month and, that being the case, I would really like something that records HiDef as well. Dosen't seem to be anything like the Panny that does - so I am having to decide whether to buy or build. I can cope with HDCP and the Image Constraint Token by (I think) getting a HDCP stripper which aren't illegal in this country. But, there does not seem to be any unit that will record HiDef over HDMI and/or component that I can find. A [rebuilt unit like the panny that "just works" is my clear preference. Does anyone know of a unit that can, or am I looking at having to take the plunge and build a HTPC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi sorry no time to read all the posts...
    but - as of toshiba DT97 I think it looks really good APART FROM the lack of RGB scart Input, so lowering the quality the svideo for any external rec like $ky/cable/digital. Realies on int. digital tuner too much. Poss. problems with $ky.. scart pass through too.
    I'd highly recomend the JVC MH300 as it's 160GB HDD/DVDR -r/-rw/ram rec+play (4x -rw) and plays +rw/+r.
    RGB input so records all at best quality. Only JVC recorder with HDMI output 720p/1080i.
    Lots of editting options, great quality for digital and vhs dubs. DV in and output for lossless editting of DV footage.
    You'll need to buy used/recon. or old stock mainly on ebay, so with care should be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx all for the advice: I think I'm going to go with the Philips 3595.
    To waxjbo in particular, do you know the maximum transfer rate from HDD to DVD? One of the thins about using DVD-RAM, as I may have mentioned, was that it could transfer about 3-4 hours of programming in about 20 mins in hi-speed dub. Can th Philips equal this? Also, do you know if a music mix(ie several MP3 tracks mixed together into one file) can be paused and then resumed later at the same point, like on an Ipod? Not terribly important, just wondering.
    Expecting to buy next Saturday, so if there's anything else I should know do shout!
    Thx again!
    TH
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Elapsed time for a 3575 HDD>DVD high-speed dud depends on the length, rec mode and disc type and speed. Philips specs HS dub speed at 12X the SLP rec mode, or ~5 min. per hour of 6-hr-SLP recording.

At least one person has reported 20-21 min. HS dub of 1:59:00 2-hr-SP titles. 6-hr-SLP titles take less dub time per hour of recording. The U.S. 3575 seems to like slower discs, perhaps closed to its burner speed

In this post, I've listed some tested speeds for ref.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 3575 is great but it is slower than molasses in January when writing to the disc from the HDD. Also very slow to write when you change the thumbnail or text on the disc before finalizing. You'll sit there for quite a while before the thing is finished and finalized.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well it's the 3595 I'm going for , not 3575.
    Getting it tomorrow.
    Thx for all the help guys!
    TH
    Quote Quote