VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The reason for this strange question is that due to problems I was forced to do a full reinstall of Windows98 (yes, I am the last one on earth still using it ).

Which, of course, ment I had to reinstall not only the ATI graphic card AIW drivers, but, the Multimedia applications (TV/File Player Version 7) fromm the orgianl CD.

But, when I had a look at the capture settings, all I saw was 3 settings all AVI.

However, I remember that there was much more capture setting, and that they included MPEG-1 and VCD tweeked settings.

Was I mistaken about this?

Or didn't the AIW 128 Pro have MPEG settings?

If AIW had MPEG settings, why didn't they load, and how do I get them to?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ensign,

Shaking off some cobwebs here but I seem to remember that the version of MMC was important. Something with version 7.1 and/or 7.7/8/9 come to mind. You may want to check LordSmurfs sight for some specifics.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No, you're not the last person on earth still using Win98. It's a long story, but my brother has painted himself into a corner with it and given his very ancient PC, we all agree that he is just going to have to buy a new one if he plans to run anything more recent from Microsoft at home.

I believe that all ATI cards have the ability to capture MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video. MPEG-1 is not covered by patents, so it should always be supported. The settings you remember seeing sound right to me. I agree with neonmaine. Try to upgrade your MMC. Note that Virtual Dub may work OK with your card as a capture program and I think it is capable of capturing in MPEG-1, but I'd much prefer to use MMC if it was me as VD is not so user friendly for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to upgrade your MMC
    In the past I have tried to upgrade, but, I found as I got into MMC. 7.2 or above, I DID loose MPEG capture. So I have kind of always used MMC 7.0/7.1

Note that Virtual Dub may work OK with your card as a capture program and I think it is capable of capturing in MPEG-1,
    I have had VirtiualDub Mod before (and have reinstalled it) but it has never captured (or saved) a video file in MPEG -1. I can do so in various MPEG-4/DiviX, or AVI formats, but never in any other form of MPEG.

You may want to check LordSmurfs sight for some specifics.
    How do I get there?

...buy a new one if he plans to run anything more recent from Microsoft at home.
    Tell me about it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ensign
    Try to upgrade your MMC
    In the past I have tried to upgrade, but, I found as I got into MMC. 7.2 or above, I DID loose MPEG capture. So I have kind of always used MMC 7.0/7.1
    I hate ATI with an absolute passion. Truly. I will spare you my story. Your post just confirms that ATI is absolutely worthless.

You'll have to do some research, but other capture programs may work with your card. If so, they may restore MPEG-1 functionality. Worst case, it's a pain but you can capture in AVI and encode to MPEG-1 using something like TMPGenc. That would be a less than ideal solution, but other than looking for another capture program or suggesting you buy a new card like a Hauppauge card, I don't know what to tell you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, that card does mpg-1 and mpg-2 capture. I still have one. Not as good as the newer versions, but still good.

Trying to remember which MMC it stopped working with, pretty sure it was 7.8 or so. The first one with VBR MPG, SFAIK. Been a long time.

Win98 is yet another issue, I started using Win2000 around 7.2 and never looked back.

Different cards, different PC's, well over a dozen MMC installs I do not recall ever loosing the ability to cap MPG, though a number of strange things requiring a re-install did occur. Once working, no issues.

Plug and Play it ain't, but the AIW series offered a combination of capabilities unmatched by any other card.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ATI A-n-W 128 Pro does have mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 capture. Look in the Tv setup menu. My version is 5.1.2600.2180
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look in the Tv setup menu
    Even tho MPEG is listed in the manual, only AVI is listed in the TV Set up menu.

though a number of strange things requiring a re-install did occur
    Tell me about it.

pain but you can capture in AVI and encode to MPEG-1 using something like TMPGencWorst case,
    Yes, but the hard drive space an AVI file takes up (I have about 20MB free) makes long files very much painful.

I am going to see if a full uninstall and a reinstall with MMC 7.2 works or not.

I'll let you know.

UPDATE

I removed MMC7.0 and installed MMC7.2 (which is still listed as MMC7.1).

As you can see by the enclosed image - It works.

I now can capture in MPEG 1 and MPEG 2

The only real question left is...

Do I have anything worth capturing

Thanks (again) for the forum's help
    Quote Quote