VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thinking of gettin a router, i dont really want the most expensive but i do want a really good one.
    guess i should ad that its for a PS3 and a laptop.
    my whole life flashed be fore my eyes,and i wasnt even dead yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Good success w/ D-Link but at this point they all do the same thing so I doubt there is really one better than the other. Either way buy one and if it doesn't satisfy you, return it and get a different brand...

D-Link or Linksys are about the only 2 real choices out there...

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Linksys
    Quote Quote  
  4. I bought the buffalo WHRG125 for my parents and flashed it with dd-wrt v24

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Frelease+candidates%2FDD-WRT+v...FALO+WHR-G125/

its based on the Broadcom BCM5354 chip 240mhz

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=184832&linkid=j13459594k1971&affil...sduidp0t756785

it was $25 weeks ago

I own the Linksys wrt54g v2.i heard v4 and v5 sucks

whatever you buy.STAY AWAY FROM NETGEAR
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    went with this guy here
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2755284&sku=D700-5426

wired im gettin 20mb down and 6 up, wireless im gettin16-17 down and 5 up. im happy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. how much did they charge you for shipping?amazon.com is cheaper and free shipping
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shititin
    went with this guy here
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2755284&sku=D700-5426

wired im gettin 20mb down and 6 up, wireless im gettin16-17 down and 5 up. im happy.
    being happy is important
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by shititin
    I believe your numbers are reflective of the connection (pipe) u have and has little to do w/ the brand of router...

IMHO
    makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Linksys
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by makntraks
    Originally Posted by shititin
    I believe your numbers are reflective of the connection (pipe) u have and has little to do w/ the brand of router...

IMHO
    makntraks
    yes. meaning its not slowing me down.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    how much did they charge you for shipping?amazon.com is cheaper and free shipping
    i was there and back home in forty minutes, hooked up in less then 20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get the Linksys wrt54g.. it's the #1 seller for a reason! i have one, v5 i believe, and it works excellent despite the conflicting reports. people dog they newer models cause they aren't as 'hackable'. anyway, it offers the best performance on a budget.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a dlink fan here. I still have my di-524 wifi g router. Works just fine.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wil vote for Linksys here. I run 3 desktops, 1 laptop, and 1 TiVo using mine, while constantly sending out data on bittorrents, and it doesn't skip a beat. Best thing, was only $49 at Best Buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Linksys wrt54g
    Have the "unhackable" version (so no dd-wrt for me ), and only miss the ability to assign specific IPs to specific mac addresses (still using DHCP). If you want the hackable version go for wrt54gl (L like in Linux)
    Needs the occational reboot (once every other week or so) but on the whole quite good.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  16. You can hack all the WRT54 line. You just have to be careful to use the correct version of the firmware and the correct procedure to do it.

I don't recommend a Linksys if you are going to be file sharing. Every one I've ever worked on regardless of what firmware it's flashed with seem to lock up after an hour or so of BitTorrent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth
    Every one I've ever worked on regardless of what firmware it's flashed with seem to lock up after an hour or so of BitTorrent.
    Not mine, with original FW ver 7.00.4

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have and/or work with D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear. In my experience all of them work equally well and have the same level of quality/reliability.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth
    You can hack all the WRT54 line. You just have to be careful to use the correct version of the firmware and the correct procedure to do it.

I don't recommend a Linksys if you are going to be file sharing. Every one I've ever worked on regardless of what firmware it's flashed with seem to lock up after an hour or so of BitTorrent.
    I use uTorrent and I have no issues with my Linksys V2
    Quote Quote  
  20. anything besides d-link and netgear.

linksys is pretty decent

believe me or not, still using my 11Mb, 5yrs old microsoft router and never ever had any problems, hard to believe, right??? me too.

I trashed I don't know how many d-link and netgear at my office, and now running on a linksys, pretty decent. I still have to reboot it once in a while but I have a lot of traffic there, so....

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been pleased with the 2wire all in one ADSL wireless gateway products. The only negatives I've seen listed are lack of external wireless antenna connector and incompatibility with wireless extenders. My older 1701HG failed so I got the newest 2701HG on ebay for ~$50 (vs $80 from AT&T). At full power this thing hits all the neighbors houses so I turn it down to 60% and turn on WPA2-PSK encryption. It works well with Windows, Linux and Mac over wireless + has USB2 and 4x switched Ethernet connectors. Also has a highly configurable firewall with DMZ and XBox/PS3 support.

I'm just wondering what I am missing vs. Linksys?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mine doesn't do that either poppa_meth. However, I do understand what you're talking about. I had a belkin wireless that did that. I was resetting the thing every other day. Finally, it just crapped to the point where web pages wouldn't load well even with no torrents running, so replaced it with the Linksys, problem solved.

Ah, some better than others I suppose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've just completed an upgrade at home from G to N. At first, I went with the D-Link package, but was disappointed with the performance hit with more than one wireless connection. I finally went with some Linksys kit, and while you never get the advertised speed (I do have brick and fieldstone walls as thick as a 19th century prison), it is an acceptable improvement over my previous Belkin G.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Most of the ones I've worked on have been V5 and up. It might have something to do with changes made to the hardware at the same time they moved away from Linux firmware.
    Quote Quote