VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

We all know that BD accepts H.264 as one of its three codecs. Yes, I know that at the top left hand corner of this site are the BD video specs if you wish to author H.264 for video playback on it.

But I'm not talking about "authoring" or any "video playback".

What about H.264 "files" (ex:MP4) - without any authoring? I know the PS3 can do this, but I'm wondering if this will be commonplace among BD units as well.

I figure since the H.264 decoder is built in, and if the BD unit is accepting of extra features above the playback standard like MP3s, JPEGs, etc., as the majority of DvD players are, is there any reason why it wouldn't then accept H.264 content in an MP4 file, especially if it will have to accept AVCHD?

Or will these files be fine muxed into a transport stream instead regardless of exact/strict bitrate, rez, etc.?

I think the problem may be AAC - something the BD group and the MP4 ISO group didn't connect on. The BD group, and even the AVCHD spec list, accept AC3, but not AAC, while the MP4 ISO group oppositely accepts AAC, but not AC3.

I personally don't see the audio conflict being an issue in the near future. And I figure if the files aren't HD, yet they're ready to go as files, then why should there be a need to author for playback?

But that's my opinion. I'm really curious about this and wonder what others have to say on it. Thanks for reading.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any bd player except the ps3 that mention any mp4 playback yet. But hopefully will it be added like divx for dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Baldrick,

Yes, DivX Certification on DvD players is exactly an example that I was referring to.

It's still too early to tell, and after all, the "Great HD Format War" just ended when the emphasis from both units was in winning adoption, so these "other features" took a backseat in the meantime.

It would be nice to have a BD player that not only plays your standard HD discs, but every once in a while you would love to load it with a BD disc (data disc) filled with a collection of MP4s/MKVs, or even AVIs as well...
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That would be nice, but don't hold your breath on it happening any time soon. Maybe if Blu-Ray becomes popular enough for new player manufactures to jump in, then you may start to see that happening..............
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote