VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow up: I got a check today delivered Federal Express for $3,520 drawn on a bank from Richland, Washington, USA. I called the bank to check it out. It was a fraud. The bank had me fax them a copy. I have called the police, but they only operate during business hours unless it is an emergency. I think they are all at the donut shop. Typical craigslist.org. This person originally wanted to pay me with a money order! There is more to the story, but I won't bore you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I lost more than 800 Euros the last 8 years by dealing with American scams.

You know that squishy thing inside our skulls that God planted when he invented the human species ? I think he intended us to use it when dealing with e-mails and scams.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No warez, politics or religion posts, please. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @videobread: Coming from Germany I can tell you that free email accounts on addresses like web.de, gmx.de or gmx.net besides the big ISP's like t-online.de, arcor.de, alice-dsl.net etc. are the most common I have found people use in Germany. Again to my knwoledge ICQ here is more popular than MSN, AOL or Yahoo.

Jennifer as a name is also used as a german girls name but it is rare.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @cyflyer: It seems that in Cyprus don't know yet about company scams. "Scams" are limited there only on emails, right? Well, in the old internet days, they were some scam companies even in Amazon, don't mention yahoo stores.
    The money I lost, was from Cartoon scam traders and music video scam traders. Teknogenics and Rocamerica inbetween dealers mostly.

Offtopic Greek: Αυτά εσύ, ως Κύπριος, πρέπει να τα ξέρεις πρώτο χέρι. Είσαστε γνωστοί για τις scam-business σας. Εξυπνάδες αλλού...

@Schmendrick: ICQ is still popular in Germany? I didn't know that...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good old Satstorm.
    Still around after all these years and still talking sense.
    I hope you and your family are well my friend.
    Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    No warez, politics or religion posts, please. :P :lol:
    So where are they then? No mention of warez or politics or religion as far as I can see. Just a little bit of Nigeria bashing........
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Richard_G wrote:

No mention of warez or politics or religion as far as I can see.
    cyflyer had written:

You know that squishy thing inside our skulls that G*d planted when he invented the human species ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobread
    My original question was legitimate. I was contacted by someone on craigslist.org claiming to be from Germany. Craigslist.org has a reputation of scams, phishing and more. The person who contacted me was using a hotmail address and had a western sounding name - Jennifer.
    Hmm Im not sure what you mean by this... a western name coming from a western country? How bizarre... its like somebody called Obama or whatnot tried convincing me he was from america. 8) Btw, many Jennifers in northern europe.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Richard_G wrote:

No mention of warez or politics or religion as far as I can see.
    cyflyer had written:

You know that squishy thing inside our skulls that G*d planted when he invented the human species ?
    yeah..don't you know it's only acceptable to use God here when you are cursing?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am 70+,i live in the UK and i love it. I have just returned from a 2 week trip to US (New York) and was made to feel very welcome.I didn't notice much difference in the way we both live. The comment about knives & forks made me smile, it's the only way i could tell a US from UK person (apart from accent) you seem to have made the knife redundant!-- only joking! Don't upset the brit's, we may be your last real friends!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by old man
    I am 70+,i live in the UK and i love it. I have just returned from a 2 week trip to US (New York) and was made to feel very welcome.I didn't notice much difference in the way we both live. The comment about knives & forks made me smile, it's the only way i could tell a US from UK person (apart from accent) you seem to have made the knife redundant!-- only joking! Don't upset the brit's, we may be your last real friends!!!
    Blame a 19th century etiquette/gracious living expert (I don't recall which one) for the difference in the way we use our cutlery. Requiring that the fork be used only in the right hand for putting food into our mouths, and forbidding the use of a knife to help get peas and corn kernels on our forks was supposedly forced on us because too many of us wolfed down our food. This was a way to slow dining to a more refined pace. Of late a lot of us don't use a knife for cutting food on the dinner plate, and merely use the edge of our fork, but that is actually bad manners here too.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Do people in Europe use Hotmail?
    Not all of them
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by BogieV
    I downloaded their Windows Live Mail application and it allows you to have your mails locally on your PC.
    Just received a note from MS that per June 30, 2008 Outlook Express will not functioning anymore to manage my Hotmail account.
    They offered to free download "Windows Live Mail". I downloaded a file named WLinstaller.exe of about 2.2 Mb in size.
    Did not run the program yet. Has someone in Europe also received this note and perhaps experience with this new email program?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stopped using Hotmail shortly after M$ purchased, and subsequently broke it. I have Yahoo and Gmail accounts. My free Yahoo used to be able to be read by an email client but I don't use those anymore. I have a free email account with my ISP but I don't use it. My various 'free' accounts seem to work just fine. When they stop working I'll think about using the ISP. As for the appearance of 'ignorance' in the world. I've got a passport but have only visited Canada and Japan. I found brilliant and witty people worth knowing in both places. And ignorant *$$holes there as well. I don't buy the arguement that the US is full of a larger percentage of village idiots then any other 'village' in this world. As for France bashing. I disagreed with the French government not joining the rest of NATO in our recent misadventures in changing the courses of other people's governments. But that was their decision, I fully support people in the right to disagree with me on just about anything. I have nothing but respect for the French, perhaps more respect for them, because they take their own path in this world. Lots of American's have a similar opinion to mine regarding the French. Its their business. We expect other people in other countries to do the same, what we do, is our business. All of this name calling and flag waving is just plain time and energy wasting. We are a lot more alike then we are different. Keep in mind that American's are not 'international travelers' because in our country you can travel for thousands of miles and not leave the country you started in. The same cannot be said for most of Europe. And visiting Florida means you visited Florida, not the entire US.

So anyway, I think this whole web reading of email is not a big deal. If it upsets you, use your ISP email. I understand the mistrust of anything Microsoft. So get a google email then, or Yahoo, presumeing they stay out of M$'s hands.
    Quote Quote