VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a way to check how loud the sound of the movie is before using ac3gain to increase the volume? if there is a way then how much it needs to be increased? I like ac3gain but the problem is it offers a scale from 1 to 5 and I do not know where the volume of the sound of the movie falls on this scale. thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your kind words on Ac3gain Really, all the script does is analyze the audio, then makes certain the loudest parts never go over 0dB. The 1 to 5 bit is only the amount of dynamic range reduction --> aka, how loud should the quiet parts be. I think the default settings worked the best in most of the cases I tested.

-------------------Loudest

-------------------Quietest

or

-------------------Loudest

-------------------Quietest

or

--------------------Loudest
    --------------------Quietest
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi soopafresh'
    I do not understand what you mean with 1,2,3/loudest, quietest. I read the audiolimiter of ac3gain, it said scale goes from 1 to 5, the higher value will increase more volume but produce more artifact also. in one of your past comments, you wrote 5=none. I tested and do not see the difference between level 4 and 5. Do you have any more advices? thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi soopafresh'
    I do not understand what you mean with 1,2,3/loudest, quietest. I read the audiolimiter of ac3gain, it said scale goes from 1 to 5, the higher value will increase more volume but produce more artifact also. in one of your past comments, you wrote 5=none. I tested and do not see the difference between level 4 and 5. Do you have any more advices? thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're right - 5 is none. I changed my graph above. Here's an audio file showing the quiet and loud parts of a dialogue

As you increase the dynamic range compression, the quiet parts become louder, the loud parts stay the same

However, read this - https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=31503536&postID=116158673362047964

The author of Aften says

"The DRC in Aften is very rudimentary and needs some work. Basically it does attacks and releases too quickly, so you get some distortion when the audio goes from loud to soft or vice-versa. I would recommend not using until it is improved some more."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot for your soopaquick clarification!!!
    I am trying to increase the volume of video music ac3. If the loud part stay the same and the quiet part is increased, and the software still has problem according to the above comment, then this ac3gain is not suitable for my purpose (It is probably good for film). Do you know any other way to help me out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your ears will be the judge. You can make a big change to the script by opening the Run_ac3gain.bat file notepad and changing this value:

Try 1.8, or 2.0 or 2.5 to make the quiet parts louder, but of course, you'll have to experiment to make sure you don't make the sound distort. Test it out!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only found Run_ac3gain notepad, not Run_ac3gain.bat notepad. Anyway I do not how to get to the part you suggest me to change. don't see echo...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the echo on the newly downloaed ac3gain. I think I stick with 1.5 or1.8.Thank you so much soopafresh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure
    Quote Quote