VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have movies in mpg format that I need to compress and chop. I can compress them into wmv, mpg or avi...it doesn't matter. I need to compress the videos at a rate of 10mb per min.

So far this is my method...

1. import mpg file into WMM
    2. merge and slice files into clips that I find appropriate
    3. put clips one at a time into the story board, and have WMM compress and convert to .wmv file

This has been a bit tedious, as I have to wait till each clip is compressed and converted before I can start the next one. Depending on the size of the whole movie there can be many clips to work through in this time consuming manor.

I would like to use WMM (or another program, even better if I can files!) to compress and/or convert the movie as a whole. Then load up the movie and chop it up in to appropriate clips.

Does anyone have a quicker process or some advice if there are some things I can tweak with WMM to make things go a little faster?

Thanks in advance
    Astro
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can do this all in virtualdubmod, it natively accepts .mpg (and other video formats)

You can do all your edits (cutting out segments like commericals for example), you can even append several clips, then encode to something (like divx, xvid, wmv, whatever...) all in 1 program

You can do this with avidemux too, which behaves similarly to vdubmod

Another approach would be to use an mpeg editor like mpg2cut2 and crop out the segments you don't want (leaving you 1 big mpg) then import this into your encoder of choice

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also do your edits and batch them so you can then let it compress over night using virtualdubmod
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys...I'm going to go have a look at this program right now
    Quote Quote