VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello...

I'm posting this here as there does not seem to be a place dedicated to CODEC problems.

I'm looking for a CODEC that will play MP4 and M4V files in Windows Media Center. The files I have will play in VLC (so I know they are good) but I have been unable to find a CODEC that can play them.

I'm pretty sure that Windows Media Center uses the Windows Media Player for rendering video so a CODEC that's compatible with WMP should work in Windows Media Center.

Thanks, in advance, to any one who can help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick: Before posting this article I reviewed your earlier post on using ffdshow and the haali media splitter. As I'm sure you know, there's not much documentation on these two programs and I was unable to get them to work.

I'm willing to try again, if I can find even the smallest shread of documentation to help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a pretty easy way to do this using only free tools.

1) Download GSpot. It doesn't need to be installed to run.

2) Drag any file that won't play in Media Center and drop it on GSpot.

3) When GSpot opens, note the audio and video codes displayed.

4) Download the K-Lite CODEC Pack and double click it to begin the install.

5) On the CODEC selection screen, begin by pulling down on the menu and choosing "Unselect All". This step is very important otherwise you will get a ton of stuff on your system you don't want.

6) Check just the CODECS you need from step 3) above.

7) Finish the K-Lite installation.

The K-Lite CODEC Pack knows how to install ffdshow and the haali media spliter automatically. If you make a mistake, repeat steps 5) through 7). The K-Lite CODEC Pack remembers your previous selections to make it easy to make modifications to the install.

Some people believe that the K-Lite CODEC Pack contains stuff that is either copyrighted or not good for your system. Be sure to select only the CODECS you need.
    Quote Quote