VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES10 has started to have trouble with cartridged RAM discs. Its making an awful grinding, bumping noise and then has to go into self-check mode. The on-screen message just says roughly 'error - press return'.

These RAM discs have several small clips on, EG: 4 clips totalling less than 1 or 2 mins in length. Is that the problem?

I've tried them out of the cartridges, but its no better.

It doesn't make the grinding noises with normal DVD-R's or RW's for example though.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your drive is starting to fail. There are people who talk about taking the dvd drive top off and cleaning the spindle, which may work in some cases.
    Search for methods on cleaning the spindle.

As long as it can read other discs, it shouldn't be broken. Then again, i've had 6 fail on me in the last 4 months.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try my quick (temporary)fix for grinding discs. I don't know why but some discs are just more prone to the grinding than others. My Panasonic RAM's also did the grinding on me.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982378
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sooner or later DVD discs start to slip in all drives, burners and players. It's usually fairly easy to open the drive and clean the spindle top and bottom with a q-tip wet with alcohol.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Except for us that have our equipment in a glass cabinet all stacked on top of each other
    but you're right, once you have the DVDR on the table it's not that big a deal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips guys. Is it fairly easy to clean the spindle? Is it definitley a sign that my DVD recorder is about to die?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't say die, but from my experience the grinding will only get worse. To the point that it will start corrupting discs and even making +- R's unusable. Never had it toast RW's or RAM's, but it has lost data on those.
    Once the machine is on the table it's not that hard to clean the spindle. Here's a link to how to clean the spindle on various Panny's.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12803681#post12803681
    Quote Quote  
  8. If it's only a dirty spindle, it's in no way a sign the recorder is dying. All players and burners need cleaned periodically. When my DVD player starts to pixellate fairly often, I clean the spindle and clean the old grease off the laser guide rails and traverse shaft and apply new grease and it stops. All burner and DVD player spindles I've seen have rubber on the spindle that can easily cleaned with a q-tip wet with alcohol. Clean the top and bottom both. Most players/burners are pretty easy to get to the spindle, but not all.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by samijubal
    ...I clean the spindle and clean the old grease off the laser guide rails and traverse shaft and apply new grease and it stops...
    This really interests me. What grease do you recommend? I've been putting off re-lubing a couple of classic old CD player transports because I didn't want to make them worse with the wrong lubricant. Do you have a preferred method of getting the old gummy grease off the rails and gears?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by orsetto
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    ...I clean the spindle and clean the old grease off the laser guide rails and traverse shaft and apply new grease and it stops...
    This really interests me. What grease do you recommend? I've been putting off re-lubing a couple of classic old CD player transports because I didn't want to make them worse with the wrong lubricant. Do you have a preferred method of getting the old gummy grease off the rails and gears?
    I use Lubriplate grease. There's a mechanical supply store near me that carries it. Electronics supply stores might have it too. The numbers on the tube are L0034-087.

I use a q-tip wet with alcohol to clean the old grease off and a toothpick to spread the new grease on. You only need a small amount of grease on everything.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I ran across a product at a Radio Shack store. --- Called [Lub Gel]

Its a lubricant with Teflon and seems to draw less dirt etc.than most lubricants
    I've had very good luck with it in optical drives,printers etc.

PS
    Lock tite [avail at most auto stores] has a product used for rear window defroster repairs. Its a conductive paint, That can be very usefully in circuit board repair.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys
    Quote Quote  
  13. I use Lube Gel for some stuff, switches mostly. It's not as good as Lubriplate but would probably work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found this thread to be extremely helpful. My DMR-ES10 has always made a little noise, but in the past week it became much worse, recordings failed, and it began displaying "SELF-CHECK" as well as making a lot of noise.

After cleaning the spindle, it is now quieter than ever, and so far, no recordings have failed, even with a RAM disc that had problems before.

I wish someone who knows how to do this sort of maintenance would create a sticky about simple things one can do to improve the function and lengthen the life of DVD recorders, players, and burners. Seems a shame to throw away something that would work satisfactorily again with a little cleaning or lubrication.
    Quote Quote