VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hooked up my HP Photosmart D5160 and it's connected successfully and printed on paper fine. When I try to print a DVD it just gives an error on the printer and won't do anything. Is there some specific step I need to take besides inserting the DVD in the proper slot? Is there a better program I can use? Anyone else have any trouble when they first tried printing this way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. When printing, did you select the CD/DVD tray? What error does the printer give? What program are you using? I haven't experienced any trouble with mine.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, selected CD/DVD tray. The printer just flashes the exclamation point it has above the screen and doesn't do anything. I'm using Surething DVD/DVD labeler.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hmmm. I don't have/use Surething so can't help there. I did find this suggestion for software to use, although I haven't tried it myself. I just print from Irfanview and select the CD/DVD tray and make sure the paper size is correct and it works fine.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I had actually gotten the trial of that but hadn't installed it yet. I had to play with the settings a bit. First it wouldn't do anything, then it would grab the disc tray and pull it in but not print. Then it grabbed it and did what it's supposed to.

I was getting worried there. I have a run of about 120 discs and this is the first time I'm using this method. I used lightscribe before but I'm getting bigger jobs now and needed a less time consuming method.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a HP D5160 and used it with the SureThing CD/DVD labeling software and it worked fine. When you startup the program click on "FILE" on the top left corner. Then select "NEW". A window should then open with 4 columns. In column 1 select CD/DVD Printers. In column 2 select HP. Then in column 3 select a label type then press "OK" on the lower right of the window. This should create a label format compatible with the HP printer. Now try creating your label and printing it out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Surething only has Epson printers shown. Acoustica shows my printer and will print but I'd rather use Surething.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I use Acoustica, I'm afraid I can't offer any help with the Surething issues. I do recall while printing my first two or three discs, the D5160 printer acting a bit funny (pulling in the disc tray then flash the exclamation point etc..) but after that initial couple discs, the printer seems to have gotten "into its groove" and has now printed ~200 discs perfectly.

I am getting about 70 full color hub printable Verbatim discs to a cartridge set. The blue ran empty first leaving the red and yellow and black ~30% full. I'm on my third refill using the original cartridges and the quality is as impressive as the day I unpacked the printer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The printer does seem to have gotten settled using Acoustica. I am impressed with the quality. It's a pain though because Surething has more control than Acoustica. One thing is background images. With Acoustica they automatically fill the whole disc. With Surething I can move the image around to leave part of the disc blank and save a little ink that way.
    Quote Quote