VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD player just died so im going to buy a new one. I know that some DVD players play burned/copyed dvds better than others so what is the best one to buy any help would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Low end commodity players read just about any burned disk. The down side for these is principally the high rate of DOA units. If it works when you buy it, it will probably keep working until the drive dies (all optical drives die - either through laser burnout or mechanical failure) as long as you provide adequate ventilation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a CyberHome CH-DVD 300S Progressive-Scan DVD Player and it plays anything that I throw at it. I haven't had any problems with it yet and it only cost around $60.
    Quote Quote  
  4. any other recommendations on players for burned DVD+R's and DVD+R DL? I use verbaitum
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alvis111
    any other recommendations on players for burned DVD+R's and DVD+R DL? I use verbaitum
    Well I would definitely never buy anything that said CyberHome on it. The +R thing might present a few problems.

You can check the DVD Players link on the left. I prefer to spend a few dollars for a decent unit with a decent workable remote.

But you might look at some of the Phillips Divx units out there. Someone gifted me this one and it plays all regions (simple hack) and PAL discs too.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5982-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B000N254LU/ref=pd_bbs_...4256897&sr=8-1

At this price it's a very versatile player, the USB port is also very handy.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=Philips+DVP+5982&hits=50&Search=Search
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Oppo units I've used support both DVD-/+R, DVD+R DL, and CD/DVD-RW. But most players will play quality media (such as Verbatim) without any issues.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Any modern DVD player, even the cheap ones, should play burned discs OK. Philips makes a variety of cheap players that work reasonably well, with the possible exception of the old DVP-642. I have a DVP-642 and it works fine for me, but I seem to be an exception to the rule for this problematic model. Many Philips players can easily be put into region free mode by entering a code on the remote control. If this is important to you, be sure BEFORE you buy that the player can be put into region free mode rather than buying any old player and hoping it can be put into region free mode. Some players can't be hacked into region free mode at all. Others have had working hacks that no longer work because of hardware changes in the player since the original models came out.

Do note that today's DVD players do not come with cooling fans. This keeps the model thinner and smaller (the marketplace demands this) and has the "added benefit" to the manufacturer of making them prone to heat related damage. The industry actually likes this because if you burn out your player from heat damage, you'll have to buy a new one. If you want any DVD player to last, keep it in a place with a lot of ventilation and free air.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have 2 panasonic players one. is DVD-F85 it plays a lot of discs BUT when it plays Dual-layer (doesn't matter brand) TV series it frezzes or pixualtes half way through not all but most straight up movies play 90% of the time the other unit is a Panasonic Dvd-s53 and some work others don't is there any dvd player that will play ANY burned dvd FOR SURE I am using DVD-shrink or Decrypter my burners are sony's
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are looking for the ultimate in compatability you may wish to investigate an HTPC...and if your drive's life runs out you just install another $30 DVD drive
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Panasonic DVD S-1 is a good and cheap one for burned media and scratched rental DVD's. DVD +R, -R, +RW, DL +R (Verbatim), VCD, and SVCD all work for me.

If a burned or rental DVD will not work in this player, it can't be played, period.

This is a standard progressive scan player....no longer made......must buy an upconverting model wether you need it or not, and hope it plays as well as the S-1.
    Quote Quote  
  11. how about a list of various players. I can go pop a few burned dvd's into at Best Buy and scan around to make sure they play, so I don't buy and it doesn't work on my burned movis and TV series:>)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how about a list of various players. I can go pop a few burned dvd's into at Best Buy and scan around to make sure they play, so I don't buy and it doesn't work on my burned movis and TV series:>)
    You can check the DVD Players link on the left.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    Quote Quote  
  13. the oppo player seems best but how to know which ones play Burned DVD + R and DVD + R DL (for sure no matter what unless bad burn)
    Quote Quote  
  14. I've had one of these refurb Avayon models for a couple of years and it has played everything I've thrown at it. I was so pleased with my refurb unit, I purchased a new unit (when they were available) for a family member, who has used theirs for almost as long, also with 100% satisfaction.

http://www.avayon.com/pc-6-5-special-offer-dxp-1000-manufacturer-refurbished.aspx

Price includes shipping in US.

Although not mentioned in the specs, the unit also plays Nero Digital.

Avayon has been very responsive to my e-mail inquiries.

When mine finally dies, I'll be looking first to Avayon for a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK any idea on the BEST up-converting DVD player that will play burned DVD+R and burned DVD+R DL that's all I care about all the extra formats don't matter to me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Oppo units and the Toshiba HD-DVD players are very highly rated. You can get the Toshiba players cheaper, just note they are region 1 only. If you spend more for an Oppo, you will get region free and a Divx certified player (depends on the model). The Oppo's are also very highly rated for video playback quality (the best at their price range).

But, as noted above, any player currently on the market should have no issues with quality media. Upconversion may also be unneccessay, depending on your TV, as most HD TV's convert all inputs to match the native resolution of the screen anyway.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  17. OK I need a player that has a optical out to go to my receiver because I have DVI on my High-Def TV and am using a dvi/hdmi attachment in order to upconvert to near HDMI 1080i Quality. so I need a DVD player that has BOTH HDMI & Optical out for audio? any recommendations and this is for burned DVD's single AND Dual-Layer discs?

Thanks For Your Help

P.S. I know the oppo's players are good any phillips plaers with these connections?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the 5960 and 5982. You can check easy enough at the Philips website.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  19. Is coaxial the same quality sound as optical sound?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is coaxial the same quality sound as optical sound?
    Exactly the same sound quality. Optical cables typically cost more and are delicate (they are made of glass). For a coaxial connection you can usually get away with a quality RCA patch cable...no need to buy the special "coaxial" cables. IMHO Monster and other high priced cables are money poorly spent.
    Quote Quote  
  21. that way i can buy one of the phillips up-converting dvd players and use on my DVI HD TV and get the good sound through coaxial since these cheaper players don't have optical. are the OPPO players better at playing Burned Dul-layer DVD's then the phillips or the same?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mikeoliver1313
    My DVD player just died so im going to buy a new one. I know that some DVD players play burned/copyed dvds better than others so what is the best one to buy any help would be great.
    I currently have and use the Sony model DVP-NC85H 5 disc upconverting dvd player and a Toshiba HD-A30 hd-dvd player. Both upconvert standard definition dvd's and have played everything I've thrown at them just fine, including all types of burned media.
    Quote Quote  
  23. what about the phillips and oppo brands any ideas about these?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It all boils down to what exactly you are looking for. Upconverting players are unnecessary for most HD TV's (LCD & Plasma for instance) as the TV automatically scales the video input to match the native screen resolution. The TV typically has better hardware scaling than most DVD players.

What you should be looking for is the player with the best video reproduction. The Oppo players have great video reproduction quality. The Toshiba HD-DVD players are also said to have great video reproduction.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  25. get this I am playing videos in the same panisonic dvd up-converting dvd player that didn't play them before ONLY this time I hooked up the HDMI cable and NOW they play any logic about this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Connection method shouldn't affect playback, though it will likely affect upscaling. Most likely you just have a finicky or faulty player.

Are the playabillity issues with commercial or burned media? If it is with commercial media, it is a hardware issue (faulty or possibly just dirty lens). It the issues are with burned media, then you are likely just having media issues. In which case, the best solution is to simply use a quality media such as Verbatim or Taio Yuden.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  27. it is verbatim and dual-layer I am trying some more and they still don't work? a few do? I have a panisonic player i bought the phillips one to try that it's on the way the media is burned
    Quote Quote