VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am filming with a Canon GL1, and I have been told several conflicting things on what tapes to choose. I recently read that you cannot switch between Sony and Panasonic tapes because of the chemicals each is composed. I have also been told there is a big difference between using Walmart Sony tapes and Pro tapes.

I am going to buy tapes today. Can someone offer recommendations?

Thanks,

Speedy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are two dichotomous arguments:
    1. Using different vendors precludes buildup as they have different chemicals. One washes the other.
    2. Using the same vendor is best because the chemicals are the same and prevent damage caused by different chemicals.

I personally have been using different vendors for years without incident. So, take your pick. Just use a good name brand.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you offering that explaination.

I am currently leaning towards the Panasonic Ay-DVM63 AMQ "Master Mini DV" from TapeStock.com. They seem to be $2.50/tape cheaper than my usual supermediastore.com.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Speedy

Quote Quote  
  4. The chemicals in question are the lubricants used on the surface of the tape. Without them, the tape is quite abrasive and will gradually wear away the surface of the head. Lubricants reduce this and the head lasts longer but it still wears down.

One type of lubricant is a powder - a bit like using talcum powder. The other type is a liquid - a bit like using oil.

The liquid type can remain on the head. It isn't a problem when you use the same lubricant each time. However, when a powder-type tape is used afterward a liquid type, it can mix with the liquid in a way similar to how water and flour mix and become gummy. This gum clogs the heads.

The problem was specific to Sony's liquid-lubricated tapes and Sony claim they resolved the problem some years ago.

Panasonic use the powder lubricant in their consumer types (they actually use the liquid type in their very high end tapes).

Supposedly, it shouldn't matter with tapes bought today.

The AY-DVM63 AMQ is an excellent choice.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JohnnyMalaria,

That is reassuring on both aspects. Am I going overkill by purchasing this tape? What do you "real world" get from this higher quality tape?

FWIW, I am shooting my first wedding (for a friend, nothing formal... yet) and some motorcycle races.

Thanks, please keep the input coming!!

Speedy
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't think it is overkill. I've always used high end tapes and I have never had any problems with the signal quality. Some of the tapes are from 1998 and they still play as good as the day they were recorded. I just wouldn't risk problems with the cheapest tapes for a sake of a few $$.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very good advice. I am new to the entire profession. I started making YouTube vids for fun (where quality doesn't matter anyway), and after demand, I started getting more involved.

Where is the best place to pick these up in your opinion?

Thanks!

Speedy
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think the last time I bought some I got them from B&H Photo (bhphoto.com). I bought multiple boxes of 5.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The lubrication issue has been mostly resolved but if you should switch brands at any time, it is always best to clean the heads and if possible, do a full pass on the new product you are using, particularly if you have been using another brand for long enough to create any distinctive wear patters on the heads.

The AMQ is a good product, especially for the price. I would recommend it for HDV as well.

Shameless plug: we got it cheap.

cb

Craig Berlin
    "Mr. Tapeguy"

http://www.pro-tape.com

Authorized Apple Service Provider and Reseller
    Adobe - Canon - Digidesign - Panasonic - Sony
    Quote Quote