VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony SLV-100 DVD/VCR combo player and a Sony DRU830A burner in my PC. This has plagued me for as long as I have been burning DVD's. The player is not supposed to be compatible with DVD+R's, but yet I just had a 50 pack of TDK's and they worked great. Now for some reason I ended up with some Sony DVD+R's. They won't play on the player mentioned above. Also the last TDK did not play either.
    I had some Phillips DVD-R's would not play. I am going crazy here just trying to find some decent blank media that will play consistently in this palyer, not hit and miss. Probably the dilema for everyone right... Oh by the way they all play back on my PC, but I also have a bargain brand (Colby) DVD player and my sons XBox and they don't play in there either. My son has a Phillips burner in his PC I am going to try to burn this Sony media there and see what happens. I am also going to pick up some TDK or Maxell DVD-R's. I am just trying to rule out my burner, which I have read is pretty good. It has to be the media. I also heard the Sony Players are very picky too. Are there any preferred players that don't have these issues? Your comments are greatly appreciated.

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Around here we generally recommend Taiyo Yuden (you'll have to mail order it) or Verbatim. Other brands these days are rarely made by the best manufacturers. TDK and Sony used to be good, but these days they are often crap, made by third rate manufacturers. I wouldn't touch any of the brands you mention.

Philips DVD players are rarely fussy about media. Any decent recently made DVD player shouldn't care about DVD+/-R and should play both with no problems. DVD+/-RW support was poor on older models, but with modern DVD players, both should be supported. Finally, my limited experience if you want to deal with DL media is to only use DVD+R DL as DVD-R DL seems to be problematic for some players.

Try using either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DVD+R discs and hopefully you'll be OK. You might be interested in looking at this site about DVD media quality:
    http://www.nomorecoasters.com
    Good sources for Taiyo Yuden are newegg.com, rima.com and supermediastore.com.

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized you double posted - don't do that. Don't post the same thing in multiple forums. It doesn't make people want to help you and can actually make them NOT want to help you.

4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    aruba92, Do not post the same topic on several forums.
    Please do not cross post, once is enough.

Continue in: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346508.html#1816260

Moderator redwudz