VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Prior to version 2.5 I used the "shutdown when finished" option extensively to hibernate the machine at the end of a rendering run.

Since installing the latest version the ability to choose a shutdown mode is gone (the drop down list is blank). Last night I left the shutdown option enabled anyway and let the project run. This morning the PC was powered up and sitting at the login screen. When I tried to log in, Windows got as far as playing the startup sound then hung, requiring the reset button to be pressed.

It's unclear whether SVCD2DVD rebooted the machine or simply logged out. It's also unclear whether the subsequent failure to log in was caused by SVCD2DVD or something else (this PC is routinely hibernated and restored rather than rebooted so the cold login procedure isn't something I see very often).

When this version of SVCD2DVD was first installed it was crashing on startup with a very similar error to that seen by people whose Media Player 11 codecs couldn't handle the splash video. This wasn't the problem in my case, and the solution was to uninstall ALL THREE versions of .NET and reinstall just the base version of .NET 2.x. Might it be worth installing .NET 2.x SP1? If it cures the hibernation problem I'm all for it, but if it brings back the startup crash I'll be less pleased.

Any info that might shed light on the hibernation issue would be much appreciated.

PS this is still the best all-round video program I've seen, and the tweaks to v2.5 -- particularly the menu creation -- are great. I still can't believe the quality of the PAL-NTSC conversion. A friend in the US who's done video work for TV stations said that one NTSC disc of a PAL series I did for her was better quality than some of the broadcast stuff she's seen.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by denali
    Might it be worth installing .NET 2.x SP1? If it cures the hibernation problem I'm all for it, but if it brings back the startup crash I'll be less pleased.
    For what it's worth I installed .NET 2.x SP1 this evening and it hasn't cured the hibernation problem. (It hasn't brought back the crash on startup either, so it could have been worse!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drop me an email & I'll send you a test version with the shutdown options back.
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    Drop me an email & I'll send you a test version with the shutdown options back.
    I didn't realise it had been disabled deliberately! What seems incredible to me, now that I know it's not just a quirk of my setup, is that nobody else seems to be bothered that the feature isn't there any more. Was I really the only one using it? Or is its removal in a FAQ somewhere and I've just been too dumb to find it?

Anyway I've sent an e-mail. Thanks for the offer of a custom build; that's fantastic customer service!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was not disabled deliberatley - it was a typo mistake by me!

Others have cited the issue: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338390.html?highlight=shutdown

Email en route.

Chris
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I have your new version also? My computer is still on at home because it does not shut down automatically.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    D'oh! I searched for 'hibernate' rather than the more generic 'shutdown'.

Have received the e-mail but not installed it yet. I'll drop a message here to let you know how I get on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by denali
    Have received the e-mail but not installed it yet. I'll drop a message here to let you know how I get on.
    The new version works beautifully. Thanks again for the quick response. If only all software was supported so efficiently!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ChrissyBoy:
    I, too, miss the hibernate option in SVCD2DVD (my copy of HDTV2DVD does have the option available) but I cannot find your email to piggyback on your kind offer to denali (I hope that it isn't overly rude or presumptuous of me do so).

May I trouble you for an updated version as well?

Thank you so much for your efforts and wonderful programs, especially the freeware you have made available.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by JackJack
    ChrissyBoy:
    but I cannot find your email
    Click his user name.
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So easy . . . it's embarrassing.
    Thank you for the help, Jikchung
    Quote Quote