VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In trying to open .txt subs in Subtitle Creator I get an error:

"Error reading subtitle #1 - Input string not in correct format"

These were subs that were done in Subtitle Workshop. Is it because I saved them in "Adobe" format through it?

I have tried to convert the file from UTF8 to ANSI but I still get the error.

The original subs are in "SSA" format. And I saved them as SRT in Subtitle Workshop
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ok, I got Subtitle Creator to take the subs if I convert them to "MicroDVD" format in Subtitle Workshop.

But now I have a new problem. The reason I need to open them in Subtitle Creator is because I need to replace the subtitles I have in an already created DVD, so I am using the method in the sticky guide.

The problem is that I need to replace all of my ":" in the timecodes with ";" the only way to do this is with a program like Ultra Edit or even Notepad (Sub Workshop does not let you replace items in the timecode). But when I then go to input the sub into Sub Workshop it does not recognize it (even though it did prior to the : to ; change) I have saved as ANSI, UTF, and Unicode and it will not take them now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kpic
    The problem is that I need to replace all of my ":" in the timecodes with ";" the only way to do this is with a program like Ultra Edit or even Notepad (Sub Workshop does not let you replace items in the timecode). But when I then go to input the sub into Sub Workshop it does not recognize it (even though it did prior to the : to ; change) I have saved as ANSI, UTF, and Unicode and it will not take them now.
    Why are you changing the colon to a semicolon?

Of course Subtitle Workshop cannot use the file after you have messed up the time code by doing that.

Paste a few lines from your subtitle file so we can see what you have.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, that would explain why SW will not take the file.

I need it in semicolons because that is what Adobe Encore needs for NTSC video (the colons would lose sync after a while) something about non drop frame and drop frame is what they explained? I have already authored some DVDs though and I wanted to easily? replace the subtitle stream in the DVD without re-authoring using METHOD 2 in this guide here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html

So here is what my .txt file looks like now

00;04;30;29 00;04;34;15 I feel like he was born
    only yesterday!
    00;04;35;07 00;04;36;28 The older, the faster.
    00;04;37;10 00;04;40;27 Hey, who's an old man?

I guess all I need really is to convert that file into a .SUP file. The guide says use Subtitle Creator to do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you really need to do this, you can convert a standard format subtitle file to a custom format, in Subtitle Workshop.

See the online help, sec "1.7 Custom formats".
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1- Get Subtitle Creator (google for it, it's free)

2- Open SRT file in Subtitle Creator, if you get a "Input string was not in a correct format" error, go to Formatting - Select character encoding as 1258 - Vietnamese. Your subtitle should be loaded properly. If you get other error messages like "index out of bound", your SRT file may have invalid characters or spaces or whatever, you have to fix it first. Try something like VobSub - Sub Resync to fix subtitle timelines....

3- Once your SRT file is loaded in SC, open File - Save VOBSUB. That will convert your SRT text subtitle file to image subtitle file
    (idx & sub). Drop these files into the same folder with your movies and rename to same movies file name and enjoy !!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. After you load the google translate SRT with -> instead of --> and then save the SRT it will be fixed after saving
    Quote Quote