VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I burned a bunch of music videos for my friend, mainly avi and mpg. I noticed a few didnt play on his windows media player 11. I downloaded DIVX since I thought that was the problem. Most of the ones that don't play are video files and some are movie files (stupid question - what is the difference???)

When I finish installing, and click on the file, it says that WMP does not support this file or doesnt have the codecs that are used to run this file. I don't understand since they all play on my computer. I don't recall what codecs are used or which ones I installed to run these small (50-100mb) avi/mpg music videos (movie/video files). Most of the ones that won't play are avi's.

Can any think of what I need to do?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install ffdshow or play with something else VLC or KMPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will try that. I heard the main ones are Divx (which I downloaded and did not work) and XVid (which I also downloaded and did not work) Interesting, because on my other computer (Windows XP), all I remember installing was Divx and ffdshow and I had no problem running these files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. just tried installing ffdshow, still doesnt work.... what other common codecs are there? The error code is C00D1199.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a typical WMP 11 issue (especially if it is Vista based).

The easiest solution is to just use a different media player.

Aside from that, you are stuck troubleshooting why the codecs are not installing/registering properly in WMP 11. Likely, any solution will have to come from MS.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. On my WMP 11 (OS is XP however) it works fine. MY friend is using WMP 11 but on Vista. Does it have somethnig to do with Vista?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has to do with WMP 11 and Vista. There are numerous posts here and other forums concerning video playback issues with the same symptoms (ie: you download and install Divx, but WMP 11 says it isn't supported).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. i have wmp 11 and windows xp with divx....no problems there?!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74
    i have wmp 11 and windows xp with divx....no problems there?!
    I understand that...but there are numerous posts from users trying to use WMP 11 on Vista machines that are having this issue. WMP 11 works fine with XP and other players work fine in Vista, so it can't be clearly linked to one or the other. It only occurs when they are used together.

Regardless, it is a known issue and any fix will likely have to come from M$.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote