VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,

After reading all the threads I can find on comparisons between models of players capable of multi-format from multiple devices, i.e., CD, DVD, USB storage devices, I have yet to find a list anywhere of all USB capable players.

last fall I had the 5960 for a little while, but found it was what I will refer to as "mechanically noisy" in that the tray was fast but NOT smooth. actually, I don't think ANYTHING was smooth about that player. I can't rightly judge an entire line of a product by just one sample, as it may just have been a bad one on the production line that day. So it went back to Amazon.

So I am once again in the market for a player that can do everything the Philips 5960 can, only perhaps quieter. I don't have a HDTV yet, so right now that is not a concern, and if it has all that upscaling stuff it doesn't matter to me.

The single most important function I need to be able to use though is an external hard drive. somewhere I read that someone had 500GB HD that he played all of his movies from through the 5960. without a problem I have a LOT of movies on plastic, so I can't just go with a harddrive only player like the ones from Galaxy.

But is there a list of all USB compatible players out there somewhere? I wish I had the time to compile it myself, but right now I sure don't. Of course, a comparative list would be a wet dream, but that may be pretty wishful thinking.

I look forward to and REALLY hope for a lot of good feedback on this.
    Thank you to all who post here, education is what it's all about.
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  2. https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&...y=Name&hits=50

Add whatever other criteria you want. But simply having a USB port doesn't mean they will play video over it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, my other reason for posting here is I am hoping to get a dialogue going on the noise factor of players that DO play video over a USB connection.

One of the reasons I sent back that 5960 was because we could hear the player over the movie. You can't always drown out the mechanical sounds of the equipment with volume as there ARE quiet times in movies. but in general that player was irritating, which really ticks me off because it is so capable!

Do you all think I just got a bad one or is the noise of teh mechanics inside the nature of the 5960? I had a DVP640 that was quiet as a mouse, worked great for two years before choking completely.

if anyone has any input on a model that has a USB that DOES handle video through it, and is also QUIET, I'd sure appreciate some direction here.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would love to have one of those my friend, but any leads on something perhaps around or below $100? yeah, I'm gett'n picky.

I'll try to get time enough to go through the list that jag posted, but would be mighty happy if someone would post telling about their affordable and stone quiet USB Divx DVD player.

I'd like to think there is such a thing out there somewhere.

Thanks!
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  5. You must have got a bad 5960. Mine makes very little noise. But I agree there are several other irritating things about the player. Like not being able to turn it on by pressing the Open button, having to hit Play at just the right time to resume a video, the weak remote, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again jag,

since I got that one from Amazon and returned it last December, and I have a $50 credit with them still, do you think they will raise an eyebrow if I get another bad one and have to return that one too?

Thanks for any opinion I'd sure appreciate it,
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so if the 5982 can do all of what the 5960 can do, and it looks better in black, why not just go with the 5982? what is the market for the 5960? I don't have any need for any upscaling yet, and all I want to do is play DVD's and Divx from both plastic and hard drive, which both of these players do.

so I am just curious why two players that do all the same stuff?

please excuse my ignorance.
    thanks for any educational info on this. I really want to buy one of them, and am needing to know why not the 5982 instead of the 5960. on Amazon, we're talking about only a few dollars difference.

Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  8. The 5960 is an older model. The 5982 adds 1080p output over HDMI (vs 1080i on the 5960).

I haven't kept up with the 5982 (I have a 5960 from long ago) but I know there are hacked firmwares for the 5960 that support longer file names (from DVD, not USB) and Divx with 2 b-frame packed bitstream (the 5982 had problems with this -- I don't know if it's ever really been fixed).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that insight Jag! I guess I will just try another 5960 at the risk of getting another lemon and having to send that one back to Amazon also. I don't mean to downplay this unit just because I got ONE bad one, but I could never bring myself to spend $180 for an Oppo in comparison.

Hopefully this one will last longer than 2 years.

There's gotta be a lot of great things about the 60 as it seems to really be the industry standards player for what it does at its price range.
    Thanks again.
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hope it works out for you this time!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    me too! I'll get it ordered tonight. I don't have my $25 Amazon deal I get through Chase/Amazon Visa with me here at work. 1% return on spending ain't that great, but it's better than nothing.

I'll update when stuff comes in and I get to test things out. Looking forward to it!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, let me get this straight. I just took this from a review on Amazon's site from one of the 168 reviewers:

"Con:
    * Not USB 2.0 : Too slow to play VOB/ Mpeg2 files from usb. "

so I can't have a ripped DVD movie on an external FAT32 formatted drive and play it through the USB port?

To be honest, this is the ENTIRE reason I am buying this player. Besides teh fact that I have a few hundred DVD's and Divx movies on plastic that I could play in the normal disc tray, the USB is critical to my intentioned use.

Please comment and educate me on what this player can and cannot do once and for all. I really want its functionality that it boasts, but not if I can't play DVD movies ripped to a an external drive.

As always,
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I pulled this from a google search :

Video formats Standard definition DivX and XviD files worked as expected. High definition DivX test files (720p and above) did not play, but these are rare. All standard definition mpeg/mpeg2 files also worked, but as expected, windows media video (wmv) files would not play. One of the tests on this disk involves playing DivX files with bit rates of 750, 1500, 3000, and 6000 kbps. The 6000 kbps files did not play smoothly from a USB drive plugged into the USB port, but all the others did. All bit rates played smoothly from DVD's. I encoded several other mpeg and DivX files with varying bit rates, and the maximum data rates you can play through the USB port is in the 3500-4500 kbps range (video plus audio).

Image Files JPEG files displayed correctly. High resolution files looked great, though they are a little slow to load. 200 kb files take about 10 seconds to load, while 2-3mb files take 20-30 seconds to load and display on the screen. Other image formats I tried, gif, png, pcx and bmp, would not display.

Using the 5982’s USB Port

One the features that sets the 5982 apart from other similarly priced players is the USB port. Philips lists the USB feature as ”USB Direct plays photos and music from USB flash drives”, but the USB port will read any FAT16/FAT32 formatted drives, not only flash drives, but also USB hard drives if they are formatted with the FAT32 file system. The 5982 will not read NTFS formatted drives. The 5982 will display image and video files via the USB port cleanly, as long as the bit rate stays under about 3500 kbps, ie about half the bit rate of commercial DVD’s. You can also play mp3 and wma audio files from USB drives. Some reports indicate that the USB port on this player is USB 2.0 compliant, but I can’t confirm that, it seems too slow to warrant a USB 2 description.

Viewing or playing files from USB drives doesn’t work quite as well as viewing/playing files from DVD’s. If your video files have a very high bit rate, 4000 kbps or higher, you’ll want to burn them to a DVD to play them back, not copy them to a USB drive. If you try to play very high bit rate video files from a USB drive, you’ll see jerky video and the audio will break up. Fortunately, 99% of all the DiVX video files that I’ve seen or encoded have been at bit rates that play smoothly from USB drives. However, if you try to back up a commercial DVD to a USB hard drive, the bit rate will usually be to high to play back smoothly, and you’ll find you can’t navigate the DVD menu’s as well as you could if you were playing a DVD.

Pushing the “USB” button on the remote causes the 5982 to read from USB drive. You’ll see two windows on your screen, in the left window is displayed a list of files names and directories, four (4) at a time, while a preview of image files or ID3 information from audio files is shown in the right window. When you’re reading from a USB drive, you’ll only see 8 character file names, that is SongNumber1 will display as SongNu~1 on the screen. You’ll also see an icon identifying the file type (MP3, AVI, etc). When you’re reading files from a CD or DVD, you can see the first 14 characters in a file name.

While most “off the shelf” USB flash drives can be used with the 5982, most “off the shelf” USB hard drives are NTFS formatted and can’t be read by the 5982. Windows XP or Vista can’t reformat large USB drives with FAT32. However, you can download utilities from hard drive manufactures to format drives with FAT32. I downloaded a disk formatting utility from Seagate to format an external Seagate 2.5” 160gb hard drive with the FAT32 file sytem. I hoped I could just plug this drive into the into the 5982’s USB port, but the single USB port was unable to supply enough power to the USB drive. Although single USB ports on most PC’s I’ve tried are able to power the drive, its not too unusual to run into low power ports, and in fact, the drive came with a second usb plug on the USB cable to provide additional power. Once I connected this second plug into a powered USB hub, the Philips 5982 was able to read the drive. It would have been really slick to plug any old 2.5” USB hard drive into the dvd player with just a single connection, but unfortunately, a second power source is required. On the plus side, the 5982 was able to play media files from any of the USB flash drives I tried without problems, as long as the bit rates were under about 3500 kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The google and amazon reviews quoted are pretty accurate from my experience and tests with the 5960.

I haven't looked at their web site lately but the last time I did Philips didn't even claim the players can play video off the USB port. Thier description of the port was disingenuous though. It was listed as "USB 2.0 device compatible". Of course USB 1.1 ports are "compatible" with USB 2.0 devices so this doesn't mean the port is 1.1 or 2.0 -- but the point is moot: It can't read anything over about 4000 kbps over the port.

Give the munged 8 character filename display over USB (because of a Microsoft patent covering long filenames on FAT file systems) and the players navigation system, I don't see using a USB hard drive to be very practical. I sometimes use a flash drive to watch a video that I don't want to bother burning to DVD, but that's about it.

On the other hand, it's only $55! What can you expect?!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jag and company, I can see you guys shaking your head at me already when I include here that I am just now starting to also read about and consider the Pioneer DV-400V-K to further my confusion of which player to buy. I hate to stoop to consider asthetics, but I do like the black of the 5982 and this pioneer.

However, it is blatantly apparent online that the Philips are so much more popular than the Pioneer, reason being I would assume the price, that it is hard to find good support for the Pioneer, which worries me about thinking of going that way. you folks are so knowledgeable about the Philips and there is so much more experience with the 5960 and 5982 that I'm still thinking it's gotta be one of those. $80 vs. $60. does the Pioneer possess $20 extra of quality overall?

(be gentle with the rock throwing please. ha ha ha)
    Chuck

I've read dozens of both extremes of the point with these reviews everywhere. somebody buys both the 5982 and the 400, takes the latter back. another does the same but keeps the pioneer. yada yada yada. I'm growing sick and tired of reading review after review. a whole lot less people own the pioneer. I'm thinkin' the 82's gonna win this decision battle in my head for how doggone long now????? ugh.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    celchlepp,

I just received my 5982 today from Newegg, I read a lot over the past week, but finally decided to bite the bullet - very impressed so far. Haven't made it region-free yet, or had too long to play with it, but my concerns about playback via usb seem to have been unnecessary.

I don't have an external hd or a spare enclosure on hand (ordering one this weekend), but off a 4 gig OCZ flash drive I have no stuttering playing divX files with a bitrate of 4000 (which surprised me, as a lot of what I read suggested it couldn't handle this), which is actually much higher than I intend to use to backup dvds. The remote is a little flimsy, and the menus won't win any prizes for aesthetics - but it was cheap, works well, upconverts better than my Vizio and looks great.

-HD
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't know much about the Pioneer DV-400V-K. I've seen a few posts from people who liked it better than the Philips DVP-5960. I don't remember the reasons why though.

Regarding bitrates, I ran a series of experiments with CBR Xvid AVI encodes at different birates on my 5960 a while back. I created 720x480 29.97 fps files from 1000 to 8000 kbps, in 1000 kbps steps. In all cases the files included 448 kbps Ac3 audio. Over USB the files with 3000 kbps CBR Xvid played fine. 4000 kbps was a little bit jerky but I could have watched it in a pinch. 5000 kbps and above were way to jerky to watch. All the test files played perfectly from a DVD.

The difference between my 4000 kbps experience and HomelessDepot's may have been the audio bitrate. Or the 5982 may be able to squeeze a little more out of its USB port. Or maybe his file was VBR and he happened to watch a portion where the bitrate was low (a VBR encode with an average of 4000 kbps will have some sections below 4000 and some above). But the 5982 will have problems when the bitrate gets high enough and using the USB port. Many people have reported playing straight DVD VOB rips (typically in the 6000 kbps range) and gotten jerky playback over USB.

One other problem I've seen on the 5960 is that it ignores the display aspect ratio flag in some MPG files. I have a few 16:9 MPG files that played back at 4:3 from the 5960. Somewhat paradoxically, it plays Divx and Xvid files with DAR flags with the correct display aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry it took me a while to get back here. I got the 5982 from Amazon and really likin' it for its quietness and overall quality. I don't claim to be anything beyond an amateur in the field of video equipment, but it's good enough for my wife and I.

Thanks a million to all for the educational input over the time of my questioning stuff. I have only had one Divx that choked half way through but plays fine on my PC.

Is there a good program that I can see all the specs of a Divx file and perhaps even "analyze" it, like DVD shrink analyze's DVD's?

I'd sure like to be able to find out which Divx CD's I have that will likely choke and fix that problem before we set down to watch any of those.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Quote Quote