VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone.

I'm encountering a problem I've never had before. I recently purchased a set of MASK animated DVD's. I would like to rip them to watch downstairs through my Windows Home Server and other portable devices. These are legit purchased DVD's not video recorded bootlegs.

There are 4 discs, and each disk gives me an error when trying to read VTS_01_4.VOB. It's the same on EVERY disk. Every other .VOB rips fine. I've re-booted my machine, AND tried to rip the discs on other computers with the same problem.

I've tried ISO buster, DVD Decrypter, DVD shrink, DVDFabDecrypter - all of them. Tried to get the VIDEO_TS file, tried to write an .iso - nothing. ISO buster says "Following files are located on locations that are unreadable."

This is really strange.

Is this some sort of strange copy protection? I'm not trying to make copies, I just want the files to sit on my HDD so I can watch them downstairs.

Any thoughts here? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you used latest dvdfabdecrypter? You could also try latest anydvd(trial available). If they wont work maybe try copy on another computer/dvd drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yhe Mask cartoons are difficult to rip, I have tried them years ago, something strange and not compliant with DVD standards, will not play on some DVD players, so I tried to rip them myself, to play on my portable several years ago.

I had no luck, this one of the very few DVD I have that I could not make into MP4 for my OPPO player from China.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I've tried the latest DVDfabdecrypter, anydvd, and IMGburn. All have the same error at the same spot (48% into the disc, at VTS_01_4.VOB)

I've tried on 2 computers as well. Same problem. What could be causing this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Corellian Corvette
    Well I've tried the latest DVDfabdecrypter, anydvd, and IMGburn. All have the same error at the same spot (48% into the disc, at VTS_01_4.VOB)

I've tried on 2 computers as well. Same problem. What could be causing this?
    If the errors occur at the same spot then the disc is probably scratched. This is why I have many dvd burners/dvd-roms to chose from because eventually one of them will be able to read a disc that is scratched.
    Quote Quote  
  6. can you actually play the disc without any problems? If you try and play the dvd and it skips/stops or has errors at some point. It is possible that your set is defective.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have played a couple of min of each chapter on the disc w/o problems. There are no scratches that I can see - the discs are brand new and practically flawless. I'll try again on my laptop and see if that helps at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Tthats your problem. You have to play the whole disc, or if you know what files on the dvd are in the VTS_01_4.VOB, skip to those eps and see if they play all the way through.
    Quote Quote