VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Derex,

You're just sinking into ignorance and emotion with your replies. If that's going to be your approach, kindly just wander off to another thread.

I work as an editor at Viacom here in Edmonton, Alberta. We do a fair chunk of video production for broadcast, online, and dvd/blu-ray delivery. This involves a lot of post-production work (using Combustion, Maya, etc.) plus a ton of file encoding.

We have a render farm, and several other banks of "workhorse" machines (systems that do nothing but encode, render composites, render frames for animation, etc.)

I can tell you outright: our 64-bit Vista machines outperform any system we've ever used in the past...and by a considerable margin. We still have a handful of XP machines in the loop, but they simply don't compare to our 64-bit Vista setups (and on a few of our Vista machines, we had XP installed previously -- and the performance was still better on Vista).

Now, we're dealing with high-end hardware here. Professional-grade video cards. Tons of ram. Even proprietary software. Not the kind of system or software you're likely to find at Best Buy.

And we definitely spent a good chunk of time fine tuning our Vista machines (but then we likely spent an equal amount of time fine tuning our XP machines back in the day).

In the right hands, and on the right equipment, Vista is a marvel.

Microsoft has made a powerful operating system. The unfortunate part: they elected to try to dumb-it-down for the average joe on the street. And in so doing, they inserted a lot of bloat that gets in the way of the power.

I would never recommend Vista for the average consumer. But if you're a power user, with high-end requirements (and you're willing to invest a bit of time getting things setup correctly)...well...Vista is your platform.

2. Originally Posted by DereX888
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    Radioshack is an electronics store in the US. I guess we forget sometimes we are talking with people all over the world :P.
    Nah, some people have nothing to say or are just too plain to imagine anything beyond their local reality (not to mention lazy - how hard is to type "radioshack" in google to see what is - beside I gave enough clues in my post as to what kind of store RS is, so anyone from outside of USA could insert their local equivalent).
    I read many times about i.e. "tesco" which I have never been to, nor it doesn't exist in USA, but I assume its a local euroversion of Walmart, and I'm sure I'm not far off in my assumption
    The point was there were no computers with 128MB of RAM sold in the end of 2001 when XP was released (meaning majority of boxes sold with XP from begining had adequate amount of RAM to run its OS smoothly, versus what is mostly sold now with sVista).
    Oh my, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Typing "radioshack" into Google is obviously, for you, as hard as typing "tesco" into Google. For if you had then you would have learned that: 1) it is nothing like Walmart - that's Asda's unfortunate fate - it is the premiere supermarket in the UK (some will disagree) and is superior to Whole Foods etc yet main stream, 2) it does exist in the USA. But I'm not going to waste further time telling you where since that is something you can do for yourself if you follow your own advice given to greymalkin.

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Another useless comment:
    the OP has already left the building,
    their question has already been answered,
    and this thread has simply gone to seed.

4. Self-referencing, presumably. BTW, aren't you cold down there (or up, depending on hemispherical bias)?

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    How one "supermarket"-type store can be superior to another in a consumer's eyes is simply beyond me, sorry, but I will not engage in this kind of rubbish
    Although I read somewhere that finally after 2 millennias someone has finally solved the question on superiority of Christmas or Easter, I just don't remember (don't care) which one was proved to be superior - same rubbish to me

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...and the work I do on a daily basis is likely "beyond you" as well...so I completely understand that you don't understand how someone could chose Vista (64-bit) or XP. You've probably never stepped foot in a professional production environment.

And I'm not slagging Linux. I've had more than my share of using that platform over the years -- and I enjoy many aspects of it.

But your silly references about ancient computers running faster than XP and Vista on a modern system is simply ridiculous. It makes you look like a clown...and an foolish one at that.

Don't let your personal preferences cloud yourself from the truth.

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    JohnnyMalaria wrote:

Self-referencing, presumably.
    Surely.

BTW, aren't you cold down there (or up, depending on hemispherical bias)?
    My current "Member status" is "Not Human", therefore
    winds blowing at 400km/h @ 173K are not a problem to me.

8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This thread has run it's course and the OPs question has been answered.