VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the maximum size .dmg that can be burned to 4.7 GB? I tried to burn a 4.5 GB .dmg to a DVD-R last night and it said the media was not large enough. Does anyone know why that might be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the maximum is 4.38 GB. It has to do with there being 1024 bits to a byte rather than the 1000 bits that marketers use to describe the 4.7 GB capacity of a DVD.

If your .dmg contains a VIDEO_TS folder then you can use Toast 7 or 8 or Popcorn's Fit-to-DVD feature to requantize the video to burn to a single-layer DVD. The quality will be essentially identical to your source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually don't have toast or popcorn and I was hoping to benefit from the free apps and utilities packaged in my mac. Frobozz, is there a way to find out for sure what the maximum is? I'm not sure where I would find that type of information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    4,700,000,000 bytes = 4,482 MB = 4.377 GB
    - It might be slightly different per disc brand (not sure), like it is with CD-R.
    - The outer edge of a DVD±R(W) is the least reliable, so maxing out a disc might be a bad idea (drive alignment, longevity).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Case. I guess that's the information I was looking for. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote