VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

How do you watch the same movie (.avi, dvd, ...) at the sametime online (fast internet connection) with others online also with pretty good quality? Would you some how stream it from one computer to the other, ...? What are ideas on how this able to be done? Please and thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would mostly depend on your internet connection bandwidth and on the uploaders speed. On a lot of sharing sites you are sharing with many downloaders and not that many uploaders. There's nothing you can do about that. A ISP with more bandwidth might help as it can give you more connections that may improve the download speeds.

You may be able to do some fine tuning, but I doubt you will make a lot of improvement in download speed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI,

I am not talking about uploading nor downloading. I am talking about watching a movie on on another compture using my computer with the intenternet at the sametime the movie is playing. I apologize for noting being clear
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean over a LAN connection, I do that all the time. My video server computer is in a back room and I can watch a movie from it in the front room, surf the internet and move files between the two computers, all over the same LAN at the same time. I have a gigabit LAN, but when I used a 10/100 LAN, it would do about the same thing. I'm not really streaming the video, just accessing the video file for playback with a software player on a second computer.

However some high definition files do take a fair amount of bandwidth. And a fair bit of CPU power to play back smoothly. And with those I may be limited on what I can do on the computer while playing them back. But most DVDs or Xvid files aren't much of a strain.

Streaming is more like watching a TV broadcast where you may not be able to pause or rewind the video. I'm just playing it from a remote hard drive. The programs jagabo mentions can be used for streaming.

More about streaming from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media Sites like Netflix now offer streaming video which is a compressed format. Not the quality of the original DVD, but fine for viewing on a small screen.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks! I was talking about having others watch the same movie I am watching at the same time! The only way I would be able to do that then is to sream it like with winamp, or something like that? I thought maybe if you could connect some how like you do for multiplayer games and both are looking at the same screen and playing at the same time together! So it is like playing a game together! I was wishing there would be something like that so I could watch movies with my family even though they are far away would be like watching a movie together!
    Quote Quote