VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a computer that has windows2000 installed. it booted earlier today but all of a sudden rebooted and now at the dos start up it says "verifying DMI pool, disc read error''. and it wont go any further. im assuming somehow the boot sector got corrupt. any way to get this thing to boot back up?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i tried a 98boot disc and it wont boot off that disc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check the cable to your boot drive first. Substitute it if you have a spare. Did you try unplugging the boot drive when you booted to the W98 disk? If not, it could still be the boot drive with a problem. Also, unplug any external drives, including USB flash drives. .

If that fails, I suspect your BIOS may have been corrupted. You can use the jumper to reset it to default or just unplug the PC and remove the BIOS battery for a few minutes, replace and reboot. Write down any non-default BIOS settings first, though.

If all that fails, reseat all cables, connectors and boards and retry. Then unplug all drives but the boot, pull all cards but the video and try again. Then maybe your RAM modules? If you have two, try pulling one, then the other and see if either works on it's own.

Next would be power supply, then CPU or motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's possible the drive died. go to the manufacturers website and get their drive checking tool. or use a self booting linux cd and use the drive tools on it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do you mean a 98 boot floppy and it won't boot to dos?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    98 boot floopy. is what i couldnt get to load. i can get into BIOS and reset all defaults and that doesnt work. also i click the auto detect of the HDD in bios and it finds it and tells the info.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Disc read error usually means a bad spot on the drive. Add that to the fact that it rebooted and you need to download the drive manufacturers disgnostics disk.

www.seagate.com for Seagate and Maxtor drives
    www.wdc.com for Western Digital drives
    www.fujitsu.com for fujitsu drives
    www.hitachi.com for hitachi and IBM drives
    Nowhere for Toshiba drives
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i cant even get a floppy boot disc to load
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    floppies are extremely unreliable. try a self booting linux distro that runs off the cd like knoppix.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i made a bootable win98 disc and got it to work. i tried:
    scanreg
    scanreg/restore
    scanreg/fix
    fixmbr
    and none of them worked
    trying scandisk on c: to see what it does. may end up just putting xp on it
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rubberman
    i made a bootable win98 disc and got it to work. i tried:
    scanreg
    scanreg/restore
    scanreg/fix
    fixmbr
    and none of them worked
    trying scandisk on c: to see what it does. may end up just putting xp on it
    Those will not work on Windows 2000. Scandisk from win98 will not work at all if your drive is NTFS. It will trash your drive if the drive is FAT32.

You first need to attack the problem by testing the drive. It isn't if a hard drive will die, it is when will it die.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 2000 has the same recovery console as XP, if you have the Win2000 install cd, boot with it and run the system recovery console. run chkdsk, you can also run fixboot, fixmbr or type "help" for list of commands.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229716/
    Quote Quote  
  13. Unless the drive has problems....From what I can see according to the OP "verifying DMI pool, disc read error''. and it wont go any further." Bad drive.

as a rule of thumb, a disk read error means a bad spot on the drive. And yes you can run chkdsk and have it test the drive. However the drive makers diagnostics usually have the ability to remap in spare sectors.
    Quote Quote